clivem

Icelandic ponies

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Ok, can someone please explain how ponies are compatible with the Raspberry Pi but horses are not? (I understand the part about Icelandic ponies being more like horses, I get that, but I don't get how ponies are compatible with the RPi, but horses are not?) Sorry, please excuse my newbie questions? Is there a dummies guide to RPi I can purchase, that explains these things?

kusti8

Re: Icelandic ponies

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:32 pm

What?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

GTR2Fan

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:33 pm

A pony shares certain inter-dimensional properties with the legendary unicorn so can slip between the bits of each byte more smoothly acting as a mild lubricant and increasing apparent MIPS, especially on an even day of the month. A horse does not share these properties. Hope this helps.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

kusti8

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:34 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:A pony shares certain inter-dimensional properties with the legendary unicorn so can slip between the bits of each byte more smoothly acting as a mild lubricant and increasing apparent MIPS, especially on an even day of the month. A horse does not share these properties. Hope this helps.
:lol:
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Douglas6

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:34 pm

It's a question of package size. But Icelandic horses are miniaturized, so may be compatible with the Pi. Or just use a level shifter.

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:35 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:A pony shares certain inter-dimensional properties with the legendary unicorn so can slip between the bits of each byte more smoothly acting as a mild lubricant and increasing apparent MIPS, especially on an even day of the month. A horse does not share these properties. Hope this helps.
Is this documented anywhere? In a FAQ, maybe?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 pm

It's a joke. Just like wheels and a sandwich. The Raspberry Pi board is small (compared to other computers). Ponies are small compared to other horses. The Icelandic Pony is a fairly small horse. Besides the other virtues people noted, they also like water and will happily carry a rider through 3 feet or more of running, glacial water. They're also rather cute. Look them up. And my reason for specifically mentioning them...two of my grandparents were born in Denmark, so I have a fondness for things Scandinavian.

In the mean time, this thread belongs in Off Topic.

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Douglas6 wrote:It's a question of package size. But Icelandic horses are miniaturized, so may be compatible with the Pi. Or just use a level shifter.
Does the RPi have a level shifter or is this something I need to add to my wish list?

chrisoh

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Shaun of the Dead... ITV2... now... just sayin :roll:
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

GTR2Fan

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:38 pm

clivem wrote:Is this documented anywhere? In a FAQ, maybe?
It's not a question that's frequently asked, so most likely not. Thanks for bringing it up though. I've been dying to tell someone about it but the opportunity has never arisen before without dragging a thread wildly off-topic.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:44 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:It's a joke. Just like wheels and a sandwich.
OK, some other kind soul has just messaged me, to explain that you are all having a laugh, (not sure at who's expense), and that wheels and sandwiches, ponies and horses, whether the Icelandic variant or not, have sod all to do with the Raspberry Pi.

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:48 pm

GTR2Fan wrote: It's not a question that's frequently asked, so most likely not. Thanks for bringing it up though. I've been dying to tell someone about it but the opportunity has never arisen before without dragging a thread wildly off-topic.
Well, you try and have an on-topic conversation here, about Raspberry Pi hardware, and it gets deleted. But thank you for the explanation and your humour.

GTR2Fan

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50 pm

You're welcome.

PS We are laughing with you, not at you. ;)

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:54 pm

clivem wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:It's a joke. Just like wheels and a sandwich.
OK, some other kind soul has just messaged me, to explain that you are all having a laugh, (not sure at who's expense), and that wheels and sandwiches, ponies and horses, whether the Icelandic variant or not, have sod all to do with the Raspberry Pi.
The "wheels and a sandwich" joke was originally made by Liz Upton, RPF Communications Director and wife of Eben Upton...and all round lovely person.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:57 pm

clivem wrote:
GTR2Fan wrote: It's not a question that's frequently asked, so most likely not. Thanks for bringing it up though. I've been dying to tell someone about it but the opportunity has never arisen before without dragging a thread wildly off-topic.
Well, you try and have an on-topic conversation here, about Raspberry Pi hardware, and it gets deleted. But thank you for the explanation and your humour.
RPT are aware of the wants and desires, full stop, leave them to it. If you know better then apply for a job at Pi Towers :roll:
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:02 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: RPT are aware of the wants and desires, full stop, leave them to it. If you know better then apply for a job at Pi Towers :roll:
EH, they might be aware of other peoples wants and desires, but I don't recall ever having even tried to make mine known before. I just tried, somewhere where I thought would be a good place to discuss, and people started talking about sandwiches and unicorns. I'm still confused now!

stderr

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:13 pm

clivem wrote: somewhere where I thought would be a good place to discuss, and people started talking about sandwiches and unicorns. I'm still confused now!
People bring this basic idea up all the time, and it is either deleted or locked. I'm not sure why. There's no doubt that the pi stuff is discussed in forums for other SoC boards. There is also no doubt that a battle is going on between the various competitors, which is great for the rest of us.

The extra gait that the Icelandic ponies or horses have is actually pretty cool to watch and it comes about naturally, I think, not like the extreme version of the Tennessee Walking Horse, say. I remember watching a movie that was made in Iceland and one seen had someone taking off on a dirt road out to nowhere and the sign said something like, "Have you told someone where you are going?" Pretty cool place but you obviously have to be careful.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:15 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
clivem wrote:
RPT are aware of the wants and desires, full stop, leave them to it. If you know better then apply for a job at Pi Towers :roll:
If people didn't express wants and desires, we'd all be using 128MB Model A Pis. Since *this* thread is about ponies, not Pi hardware, I want an Icelandic Pony.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:18 pm

stderr wrote:
clivem wrote: somewhere where I thought would be a good place to discuss, and people started talking about sandwiches and unicorns. I'm still confused now!
People bring this basic idea up all the time, and it is either deleted or locked. I'm not sure why. There's no doubt that the pi stuff is discussed in forums for other SoC boards. There is also no doubt that a battle is going on between the various competitors, which is great for the rest of us.
Generally, threads about the future just get locked. Please...just wait a while before discussing such things right now. That is all I'll say on that topic lest this thread get deleted, too.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:20 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:[
If people didn't express wants and desires, we'd all be using 128MB Model A Pis. Since *this* thread is about ponies, not Pi hardware, I want an Icelandic Pony.
So you are saying that if wants and desires are not posted in this forum we would still be using same hardware we were 4 years ago ?

I find that comment insulting to the RPT / RPF, because it implies they are clueless :roll:
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

GTR2Fan

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:24 pm

stderr wrote:The extra gait that the Icelandic ponies or horses have is actually pretty cool to watch and it comes about naturally, I think, not like the extreme version of the Tennessee Walking Horse, say. I remember watching a movie that was made in Iceland and one seen had someone taking off on a dirt road out to nowhere and the sign said something like, "Have you told someone where you are going?" Pretty cool place but you obviously have to be careful.
I've seen Icelandic ponies dancing to specially composed music. It didn't have the familiar 4/4 timing that most of us are used to hearing due to the extra gait. The motions were described as being a 5-bar gait which is presumably where that term originates. Most interesting.

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: I find that comment insulting to the RPT / RPF, because it implies they are clueless :roll:
Well, they already proved that with the Zero and their pricing of it.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:[
So you are saying that if wants and desires are not posted in this forum we would still be using same hardware we were 4 years ago ?

I find that comment insulting to the RPT / RPF, because it implies they are clueless :roll:
We got the Model B *first* because people pointed out that a single USB port and no network connection just didn't cut it for the intended purposes. In the end, the 128MB Model A was *never* built, and the 256MB Model A was considered a "failure" by Eben. Yet, the small Model A was the originally intended product and people talked the RPF out of it.

Now...what is your position on ponies?
Last edited by W. H. Heydt on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clivem

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:The motions were described as being a 5-bar gait which is presumably where that term originates. Most interesting.
I haven't got a clue what it is you are drinking or smoking..... The only thing that I want to know, is where I can get some?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:29 pm

clivem wrote:
GTR2Fan wrote:The motions were described as being a 5-bar gait which is presumably where that term originates. Most interesting.
I haven't got a clue what it is you are drinking or smoking..... The only thing that I want to know, is where I can get some?
Google is your friend. There are breeders all over the place. Or you could just go to, I don't know, Iceland?

Return to “Off topic discussion”