JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Re: 3D Printer

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Just ordered the Anet A8 from Gearbest - the support and upgrades for this printer sold it for me in the end. Black Friday Sale £106. Today it is down to £99 grab an absolute bargain.
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

joan

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 pm

I bought an unbranded 3D printer kit from eBay for £114. It turned out to be an Anet A8. Great fun to build and use. Took me about a week to put together but this was very much a part-time task. I suggest you watch the Youtube build videos before and during your build. Also watch the debug video which shows how to align the Z axis (vitally important for a decent print). I also bought a piece of glass to use as the print surface - makes printing so much easier.

JonnyAlpha

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Where did you get the glass from if you don't mind me asking?
Have you added auto leveling yet?
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

joan

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:19 pm

I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signstek-Print ... 00QM4LUN4/

It was £6.09 when I bought it some time ago.

No, I have been levelling manually.

JonnyAlpha

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Just ordered some borosilacate glass, thermal padding and bulldog clips.
Also some PLA+, a MOSFET, spare Extruder tubes, nozzles and thumb screws for bed levelling.

Edit - just found a whole pack of bulldog clips in my draw!!!
Last edited by JonnyAlpha on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ronaldlees

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:09 pm

PLA and ABS are the main filaments, and (as mentioned) - ABS (and Nylon) could have a heated bed for printing. I think that a heated bed should be on the "need to have" list. For decorative things, you'll likely use PLA, and for robotic things you'll likely use ABS, and for very fine/tough robotic things you could use nylon. Nylon generally prints better on the better printers ($1500+) - and it needs the heated bed and a higher temp metal extruder with small nozzle bore. PLA is nice, because it's considered "green" - as it's derived from sugar. But, of course it doesn't have the mechanical properties or the temperature resilience of ABS or nylon.

Be careful to check the information about the filament sizes/types that the printer can use. Some printers create "lock-in" by forcing the use of odd filament diameters and special cassettes, which can be more expensive. Stick to the standard filament size that can be bought anywhere on rolls. For some materials, ventilation should be included for safety reasons.

Also, consider what software you'd like to use for maker creation and for printer control. Most printers (but not all) get along OK with open source suites. Usually, a USB stick can be used in sneaker-net "manual" mode, in the absence of control/load software. There are special Pi images available for "Pi powered" printer control. Those (may) also include the G-code generation software.

There are "specialty" filaments for various purposes (high tensile strength, etc) - so you should know what are the things you might like to do beyond what you've mentioned thus far. Some printers have a long list of "compatible" filaments.

I like the MakerGear M series stuff - and (on the used market) it can be found in that price range.
I am The Umbrella Man

JonnyAlpha

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Ronaldlees wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:09 pm
PLA and ABS are the main filaments, and (as mentioned) - ABS (and Nylon) could have a heated bed for printing. I think that a heated bed should be on the "need to have" list. For decorative things, you'll likely use PLA, and for robotic things you'll likely use ABS, and for very fine/tough robotic things you could use nylon. Nylon generally prints better on the better printers ($1500+) - and it needs the heated bed and a higher temp metal extruder with small nozzle bore. PLA is nice, because it's considered "green" - as it's derived from sugar. But, of course it doesn't have the mechanical properties or the temperature resilience of ABS or nylon.

Be careful to check the information about the filament sizes/types that the printer can use. Some printers create "lock-in" by forcing the use of odd filament diameters and special cassettes, which can be more expensive. Stick to the standard filament size that can be bought anywhere on rolls. For some materials, ventilation should be included for safety reasons.

Also, consider what software you'd like to use for maker creation and for printer control. Most printers (but not all) get along OK with open source suites. Usually, a USB stick can be used in sneaker-net "manual" mode, in the absence of control/load software. There are special Pi images available for "Pi powered" printer control. Those (may) also include the G-code generation software.

There are "specialty" filaments for various purposes (high tensile strength, etc) - so you should know what are the things you might like to do beyond what you've mentioned thus far. Some printers have a long list of "compatible" filaments.

I like the MakerGear M series stuff - and (on the used market) it can be found in that price range.
Can't find the MakerGear PLA online in the UK but lots of PLA is listed with MakerBot as one of the printers that can use it (dubious advertising maybe). Anyway I bought this stuff.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filament-SUNLU ... A+filament
It had lots of good reviews and was an OK price.

Ronaldlees

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:41 pm

JonnyAlpha wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Can't find the MakerGear PLA online in the UK but lots of PLA is listed with MakerBot as one of the printers that can use it (dubious advertising maybe). Anyway I bought this stuff.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filament-SUNLU ... A+filament
It had lots of good reviews and was an OK price.
Hi,

I didn't notice that you'd purchased a 3d printer on a black friday sale. Congratulations. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. The MakerGear isn't a filament, it's a 3d printer. But, it looks like (for now) - you're past the looking phase, and into the doing phase. Good luck.
I am The Umbrella Man

JonnyAlpha

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Ronaldlees wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi,

I didn't notice that you'd purchased a 3d printer on a black friday sale. Congratulations. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. The MakerGear isn't a filament, it's a 3d printer. But, it looks like (for now) - you're past the looking phase, and into the doing phase. Good luck.
Yes I finally took the plunge. I have been seriously looking for nearly a year now since I saw the Ultimaker at the BETT show in London. I knew I could never justify spending that kind of money but then I started looking at Repraps. It was a choice between a Hictop Prusa i3 and the Anet A8. I preffered the Hictop due to its aluminium frame but the Anet A8 has loads of online support and detals of upgrades etc.

I was going to buy the Hictop due to its frame but then found a video on Youtube by Fugatech building a Hypercube based on a design by Tech2C. I decided that I needed to build one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5eXQ9m2WzY&t=5s

First I would need a 3D printer to (a) learn about the mechanics of a 3D printer and how they work and get to a position where I was producing some good prints. After this I would be able to successfully use my Anet to produce the printed parts for my Hypercube.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:01 am

JonnyAlpha wrote:
After this I would be able to successfully use my Anet to produce the printed parts for my Hypercube.
I think you will find that most printers only have three axes and you need four to print a hypercube.

(yes, yes, I know -- it's a type of printer -- but the joke was too good to ignore)

KanoMaster22

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 pm

I was reading some people on this thread had backed the Tiko 3D printer. I presume you have seen this.

JonnyAlpha

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 pm

rurwin wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:01 am
JonnyAlpha wrote:
After this I would be able to successfully use my Anet to produce the printed parts for my Hypercube.
I think you will find that most printers only have three axes and you need four to print a hypercube.

(yes, yes, I know -- it's a type of printer -- but the joke was too good to ignore)
I started reading this and thought - what on earth - and then saw the punch line :-)

JonnyAlpha

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 pm

KanoMaster22 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 pm
I was reading some people on this thread had backed the Tiko 3D printer. I presume you have seen this.
Sorry not sure I follow?

zog

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:00 pm

If you buy a reward on kickstarter you are investing in a company and an idea. Like any other investment you can lose your money as seems to be the case with the tiko. I am sorry for the individuals who have lost their money.

I have personally backed

2 offical kick starters and took part in a pre kickstarter product beta test. I am thinking of backing another project at the moment.

I am currently awaiting delivery of a scrona the microscope that fits in your pocket, which is starting to ship.

I have been lucky so far.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 pm

I've backed 33 projects on Kickstarter. One of those I bunged $2 because I want to live in a world that has hover-bikes but I don't expect to. I'm currently waiting on three projects, all of which are shipping late, including the one that promised before-Christmas delivery. That's what you get and what you have to expect; untested production pipelines do that.

One project failed spectacularly and lost me £149.
https://medium.com/kickstarter/how-zano ... c0abe4a6cb

These days I'm more careful and report projects that sound dodgy. But on the whole, if you are careful, check the team has pedigree and realistic expectations, that there is a working production prototype or, if not, that their mission is not too difficult, then Kickstarter can be very rewarding.

Just never invest more than you can afford to lose. It's never certain; any team can fail. And never, ever plan to have a product before it actually lands on your doormat. The ones that ship on schedule are the welcome exception.

JonnyAlpha

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm

That explains why so far my fund raising project has grossed $ NIL, everyone is getting wary.
If you back my project you won't receive any technology but you might receive a personal thank you video :-)

https://spsr.me/LLhK

zog

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Okay I have decided to back an open source SLA printer on kickstarter called Pluto.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3d ... 3d-printer

The reason I want an SLA printer is my FDM printers can't handle very small parts. This machine appears to have a better resolution than a form2 and the Pluto kick starter is cheaper than the form1 I bid for last week on ebay which went for £720 for a second hand machine. It also uses a glycerine float process that helps support parts as they are being printed. The glycerine float process should also allow you to accurately ration out the amount of very expensive printer resin that is needed per print. It's a top down printer so the resin tank shouldn't get fogged. It uses DLP technology for the projection system so it should be immune to optical component fogging. The other advantage is, it is small, and should run off a 12V battery, and it is wireless so you could house it in a downstairs toilet or bathroom where spilled resin would do less damage.

The creators are also offering to make everything open source.

I can't afford a form2 at $3500 so this is the only realistic way I can get access to this technology.

However kick startering is a risk, so fingers crossed I hope it works out.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 am

For what it's worth, I would back that Kickstarter. The only red flag is that they don't say they have financial people on board but they are probably not going to be massively over-subscribed so the process should be relatively smooth. Good luck.

zog

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Well I backed the Pluto 3D Printer on kickstarter, hopefully it won't turn out like Tiko did.

Fingers crossed!

If and when a get it I will review the printer and post back here.

Jack

Return to “Off topic discussion”