JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Re: 3D Printer

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm

scruss wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:… My Printrbot Simple Metal was bought preassembled and it prints even better. The Play is my experimental printer!
Yeah, I'm using a Printrbot Simple Metal at my local makerspace, and it's pretty solid. The cast rail guide is a nice touch. It does have a few boneheaded features, though: stability (lack of it), wire path (rubs on the table), that ^*%*^%**%$&%ing microSD slot position …
Mmm not seen these ones before, the kit version is currently unavailable at Amazon UK and no price shown (any idea how much these kits are?) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Printrbot-Simpl ... op?ie=UTF8
the assembled version is available at £695 here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Printrbot-Simpl ... 6RZJMZ478M

The only thing I noticed about this printer is that it has a relatively small build area at 150 x 150 x 150 and no heated bed with the kit so PLA only unless you by an upgrade?

Looks solid though!
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

scruss

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:15 pm

JonnyAlpha wrote:… the kit version is currently unavailable at Amazon UK and no price shown (any idea how much these kits are?)
I'm told they don't make the kit any more.
The only thing I noticed about this printer is that it has a relatively small build area at 150 x 150 x 150 and no heated bed with the kit so PLA only unless you by an upgrade?
Big print volumes get expensive. Heated bed is an add-on, but unless you've got dedicated ventilation to remove the foul ABS fumes, you'll be using PLA too.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

JonnyAlpha

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 pm

scruss wrote:
JonnyAlpha wrote:… the kit version is currently unavailable at Amazon UK and no price shown (any idea how much these kits are?)
I'm told they don't make the kit any more.
Big print volumes get expensive. Heated bed is an add-on, but unless you've got dedicated ventilation to remove the foul ABS fumes, you'll be using PLA too.
Mmm so if I use a 3D printer with ABS in my workshop i'd need an extractor?
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

GTR2Fan

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:03 pm

JonnyAlpha wrote:Mmm so if I use a 3D printer with ABS in my workshop i'd need an extractor?
Yes, or evacuate the workshop of all other living beings and wear breathing apparatus.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

mypifi

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:58 pm

I have a wanhao i3 not the fastest but does me fine and just over £200 when I bought it. Have upgraded fan and added a glass plate and a search on the internet got me the correct settings to print with.

vinderluvu

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:31 am

The Makergear M2 is a well-designed and reliable 3D printer that our community has ranked as the top 3D printer for enthusiasts for two consecutive years now. Founded in 2009, Makergear manufactures its 3rd generation M2 3D printers in Beachwood, Ohio.

blc

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:26 am

I think I'm pretty much sold on the Hictop Desktop kit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015OF7JI6/r ... N4U2&psc=1

Fairly cheap, aluminium frame, and a good print size (270x200x190mm). The only negative point is that I can't see a heated bed in any of the photos, but some of the questions/reviews do refer to a heated bed...

EDIT: Had a response from the seller (and others); apparently it does include a heated bed...

JonnyAlpha

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:50 pm

blc wrote:I think I'm pretty much sold on the Hictop Desktop kit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015OF7JI6/r ... N4U2&psc=1

Fairly cheap, aluminium frame, and a good print size (270x200x190mm). The only negative point is that I can't see a heated bed in any of the photos, but some of the questions/reviews do refer to a heated bed...

EDIT: Had a response from the seller (and others); apparently it does include a heated bed...
I too am looking seriously at the Hictop Aluminium, my only concern about the one you have listed is the mounting of the filament on top of the printer and whether this would cause issues when printing (movement etc)?

blc

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:03 pm

JonnyAlpha wrote:
blc wrote:I think I'm pretty much sold on the Hictop Desktop kit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015OF7JI6/r ... N4U2&psc=1

I too am looking seriously at the Hictop Aluminium, my only concern about the one you have listed is the mounting of the filament on top of the printer and whether this would cause issues when printing (movement etc)?
I hadn't really thought of that to be honest; but it's not unusual to see this arrangement in Prusa i3 designs, even the ones that use acrylic frames. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with an alternate arrangement if it proves to be a bit... wobbly.

blc

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Well, I did it: I pulled the trigger and ordered the Hictop Desktop 3D printer from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015OF7JI6). It should be arriving tomorrow, but I'm not anticipating having the time or space to start unpacking it until the weekend.

I'll think about doing an unboxing video for it, and I'm going to try and do a timelapse of the assembly (though that's likely to take a while)

blc

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 pm

So for the benefit of JonnyAlpha, and any others who may be interested, I finally got the machine finished this evening and I managed to get some test prints off.

(Click for larger - MUCH larger - versions)

Both of these are from Thingiverse. The left is a test piece (this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1405166), printed at 0.1mm layer height; and the right is a weighted companion cube*, printed at 0.3mm (this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13588).

I've done an unboxing video, I took a timelapse of the entire build, and I've got a bunch of info that's worth sharing. I'll start trying to get all of it written down - and the videos edited - over the next day or two.

First impressions: I'm impressed with the resolution so far. Both of the above test prints were done with very little tweaking of settings, I just set up Cura according to the instructions that came with the machine. I'm looking forward to seeing how well I can dial in the settings.

*For those not aware, context: it's from the Valve video game Portal, see video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNl4EziK6yU

JonnyAlpha

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:21 pm

blc;

Thanks for sharing this, you seem to have assembled it pretty fast, definately worth the £300 then.
Looking forward to the videos.

blc

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:49 pm

JonnyAlpha wrote:blc;

Thanks for sharing this, you seem to have assembled it pretty fast, definately worth the £300 then.
Looking forward to the videos.
Everything I've made so far has definitely got that 3D printed "look" to it, and I definitely need to experiment with the various software settings, but I've been impressed so far. This is my first real experience with a 3D printer, but I think it's worth the money. You'll get far far better results out of a more "professional" machine, but you'll pay a lot more for it. This should do me just fine for what I need; anything that needs really high quality I can outsource to services like shapeways.

One very, VERY big safety fail though: the power supply has bare exposed terminals for you to attach the mains and there's no strain relief on the mains cable. Pull the mains cable hard enough and it's quite feasible that you'll have live, unshielded mains wires flailing about the place. I plan to replace the power supply with a PC PSU. The included PSU is 12v 30a; a good quality ATX PSU from a reputable brand can easily supply 20 amps (or more) and already has a ton of safety features. It's not hard to wire up a 24-pin ATX socket or molex connector. Plus that way I also get plenty of 5v power on tap for the Pi that I plan to have controlling the printer...

The biggest thing I struggled with was getting the Z-axis working properly. Actually the thing I struggled with initially was working out how the locking nuts work; I felt extremely stupid when I worked out that they're actually quite simple... I thought I hadn't assembled the Z-axis properly because the left-hand motor wouldn't turn. Stripping the Z-axis down did reveal that the upright aluminium supports weren't properly aligned, but I still had the same problem. Turns out that I just needed to adjust the current to the Z-axis motors; not surprising really, since the Z-axis motors have to move the weight of the X-axis assembly, the extruder, hot-end, and another stepper motor. That stuff is heavy.

I'm hopefully going to have the videos online this weekend. I've written a review which I'll post on Amazon (and post the link for) as soon as my internet connection settles down. I've had patchy, intermittent connectivity all week...

Mister_C

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Hope you don't mind my jumping in on this thread (great fan, loved your previous posts etc), but there's another answer to your dodgy PSU. FleaBay an IEC socket (kettleplug type, some are available switched) and print yourself an enclosure.

My printer is also a Prusa i3 kit and it definitely wouldn't get a good CE or PAT pass. More than half of my prints thus far have been finishing touches for the machine, including making covers to keep all the elastic trickery where it belongs. Good job I've got a printer...

blc

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:22 pm

Mister_C wrote:Hope you don't mind my jumping in on this thread (great fan, loved your previous posts etc), but there's another answer to your dodgy PSU. FleaBay an IEC socket (kettleplug type, some are available switched) and print yourself an enclosure.

My printer is also a Prusa i3 kit and it definitely wouldn't get a good CE or PAT pass. More than half of my prints thus far have been finishing touches for the machine, including making covers to keep all the elastic trickery where it belongs. Good job I've got a printer...
There's a bigger problem with using an unmodified ATX power supply: the Molex connectors are usually only rated for 6 amps each, and IIRC the printer will use ~10 amps with the heated bed on. I'll probably end up modifying an ATX power supply and soldering in some fatter cables. I want to use my Pi3 to run the printer, so if I can get 5v for the Pi and 12v for the printer out of the same PSU - with no additional regulators - then it'd be ideal.

Alternatively of course, I could always make my own enclosure ;)
JonnyAlpha wrote:Looking forward to the videos.
Totally forgot to post the link!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sslZLe0sl9

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Nice video. It shows all the trials and tribulations in getting one of these things built. I'd rather skip that myself, plus the fact it would sit half-built for six months and I'd lose vital bits in the meantime.

Epic trousers ;)

blc

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

rurwin wrote:Nice video. It shows all the trials and tribulations in getting one of these things built. I'd rather skip that myself, plus the fact it would sit half-built for six months and I'd lose vital bits in the meantime.

Epic trousers ;)
That's only part of it. It doesn't show the hour or so I spent rebuilding the Z-axis frame because it wasn't straight. Or all the modifications I need to make, like adjusting the threaded rods or making the cables neat and tidy.

I suspect that I have started down a long road...! :)

Also, the lounge trousers are currently out of stock, unfortunately... :) http://m.direct.asda.com/george/mens/ni ... lt,pd.html

JonnyAlpha

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:42 pm

blc wrote:
rurwin wrote:Nice video. It shows all the trials and tribulations in getting one of these things built. I'd rather skip that myself, plus the fact it would sit half-built for six months and I'd lose vital bits in the meantime.

Epic trousers ;)
That's only part of it. It doesn't show the hour or so I spent rebuilding the Z-axis frame because it wasn't straight. Or all the modifications I need to make, like adjusting the threaded rods or making the cables neat and tidy.

I suspect that I have started down a long road...! :)

Also, the lounge trousers are currently out of stock, unfortunately... :) http://m.direct.asda.com/george/mens/ni ... lt,pd.html
With all the fiddling and setting up would you still recommend this printer?

blc

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:55 am

JonnyAlpha wrote:With all the fiddling and setting up would you still recommend this printer?
I think this is an excellent value kit. If you're looking for a kit then I would recommend it. But it is a kit, and that means: assembling it yourself, fixing problems yourself, potentially having to replace parts if things go wrong, etc. A pre-built machine will likely need tweaks & adjustments, but if something goes wrong you can call on the warranty; if something goes wrong with my printer I have to first work out whether I screwed it up or whether it's a flaw with the parts.

Personally I'm glad I started with a kit - I'll learn a lot more about the mechanics and operation of a 3D printer - but I think it comes down to question we arrived at earlier in this thread: how much time & effort are you prepared to put into debugging/tinkering, versus the additional cost of a pre-built machine that should "just work"?

As a good example: right after I finished a print yesterday I swapped out the filament and started another print job. The left-hand Z-axis motor didn't turn properly - something I thought I'd fixed - making the Z-axis lose steps, and consequently the X-axis wasn't lifted off the bed as high as it should have been. I didn't get to the power supply in time so when the printer lowered the X-axis to start printing the nozzle was ground against the print bed. I don't think it's damaged anything, at least not too severely: the nozzle looks OK, and once the print bed has been lined with masking or kapton tape again the scratch shouldn't affect print quality. The print bed is mounted on springs, rather than being mounted solidly to the Y-axis, so it looks like that helped to absorb the impact. But it does mean my printer is out of commission now while I disassemble the Z-axis again, check for damage to the nozzle and print bed, and try to figure out what went wrong. Had this been a pre-built machine I could have gone straight back to the manufacturer.

EimGhey

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:49 pm

Does anyone in this thread know if there is cheap model of 3D printer which can be bought used yet?

scruss

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:26 pm

EimGhey wrote:Does anyone in this thread know if there is cheap model of 3D printer which can be bought used yet?
There are a bunch of first-gen Makerbots hitting the market for cheap, but they're the lasercut plywood ones and tend to be a bit wobbly.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

zog

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Well done congratulations on building the printer.

Check your power supply is earthed properly and the metal parts of the frame are earthed. You might want to add inline fuses for the hot end cables, and the heater bed cable as there cables carry large currents. I got a similar power supply with my printer. I used ring terminals to connect the cables to and from the power supply as this was the most secure way to fix the cables to the supply.
It worries me that cost is put before safety, with a lot of 3D printer kits.

mikerr

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Even though I have a old reprap, I'm tempted to buy a one of these, as they keep dropping to around £200:
http://www.ebuyer.com/708312-xyz-printi ... f1j0xeu00e

- propriety spools, but can be got around - and its an all enclosed "desktop friendly" device,
- my reprap stays in the workshop and would look out of place on the desktop..
also looks more suitable for recommending to friends who don't want a build project.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

smith59

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Yes, the Prusa is one of the RepRap designs, which makes the HICTOP comment about knockoffs very strange, there are a wide selection of Prusa kits available on amazon. or Choosing from here Best 3D Printer Under 500

AIUI RepRap is all about making 3d printer kits available to as many people as possible, the concept being that the 3d printers can print the parts needed for other 3d printers and so Reproduce.

When my Tiko comes I'll be printing parts to make a RepRap printer.

Illison

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:15 pm

That's not actually hard to set up a 3d printer. And also there are some models of 3d printers that are really easy to set up for beginners, check this guide up here : http://3dinsider.com/3d-printing-guide/
Awesome

Return to “Off topic discussion”