mung

What future the rpi with avago buyout finalisation?

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 pm

I wonder what broadcom plans may change now the Avago takeover deal has completed?

I heard there will be 'synergies' which I assume means 800 jobs cuts is just the start of?

But how may the videocore strategy change now?

I have not really looked but, not noticed any mention of ARM8 cores used in any broadcom products apart from possibly some 'server' products.

Seems all the phones even in the sub £60 range are moving to 64bit ARM, and there is that pine thing I have seen lots of hype about.

Seems to me the rpi could easily be beaten on price and features if some phone manufacturer added decent linux support and some GPIO (maybe from a concealed FFC socket).

Will there be a new super pi released for the rpi aniversary, because the anholt GPU driver seems to need a bit more memory than the rpi2 has for really good performance, and 64bit ARM and a wider memory bus could also help as quite some processing maybe done in ARM to implement openGL?

Is the Avago deal good or bad for the pi?

fruitoftheloom

Re: What future the rpi with avago buyout finalisation?

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Broadcom Limited is the new Company Name

With the 2 to 3,000 redundancies worldwide all the VideoCore and related was ditched as no one wanted to buy the Division from Broadcom:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/bro ... 2014-07-23
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

Heater

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Oh great. So we now have a neat GL driver for a dead end device.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Heater wrote:Oh great. So we now have a neat GL driver for a dead end device.
That is a bit harsh, anyway most of what mung wrote has already been discussed, and VideoCore IV is still relevant.

WebGL if the developers can implement on RPi 1 it will of been worth the effort / cost
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGuyUk

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:43 pm

I am no expert and this is just a opinion

They should of made Android GPU drivers available earlier.

They also supply chips for set top boxes, Roku, Now TV

Chips for 5 million + Rpi

People buying them did so because they see value in the company.

RPi foundation cannot stop running they need to keep the ball rolling, but which direction?

A Raspberry Pi with a Mali GPU is what the clones already provide, some faster CPU, double the memory.

The main Pi bottle neck is onboard WiFi - Bluetooth costly, Soc memory limit.

Is the Raspberry Pi a one chip wonder?
Last edited by TheGuyUk on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mung

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:44 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Broadcom Limited is the new Company Name

With the 2 to 3,000 redundancies worldwide all the VideoCore and related was ditched as no one wanted to buy the Division from Broadcom:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/bro ... 2014-07-23
I think the Avago deal is something much newer than the dumping of videocore, I think it was said its the largest technology merger in history, what ever that means?

I don't know what avagos focus is, but I guess there will be much more than 2500 job losses as there is a lot of streamlining to be done in 'synergies', does avago have any broadband strategy or is it server focus only?

Maybe videocore4 IP will be sold off to someone that will develop it further, otherwise rpi could go to snapdragon? (I just got a new 'smart prime 6' for xmas which I believe sells @ £65 contract free).

It seems rpi always beats competitors to market after a kickstarter is announced and the pine64 was announced 2 months ago, how long after the CHIP kickstarter was the rpi zero released 2-3 months?

mung

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:47 pm

I think I mean baseband not broadband?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:49 pm

TheGuyUk wrote:I am no expert and this is just a opinion

They should of made Android GPU drivers available earlier.

They also supply chips for set top boxes, Roku, Now TV

Chips for 5 million + Rpi

People buying them did so because see value n the company.

RPi foundation cannot stop running they need to keep the ball rolling, but which direction?

A Raspberry Pi with a Mali GPU is what the clones already provide, some faster CPU, double the memory.

The main Pi bottle neck is onboard WiFi - Bluetooth costly, Soc memory limit.

Is the Raspberry Pi a one chip wonder?
You need to read 4 years of posts because that has all been regurgitated ad-infinutum..

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 pm

mung wrote:I think I mean baseband not broadband?
RPT have never divulged future plans and after 4 years of regurgitation of post like yours it is a situation unlikely to change..

So Poppycock and Balderdash....

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:34 pm

mung wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Broadcom Limited is the new Company Name

It seems rpi always beats competitors to market after a kickstarter is announced and the pine64 was announced 2 months ago, how long after the CHIP kickstarter was the rpi zero released 2-3 months?
So you reckon the first time they ever thought about the Pi Zero was in response to the CHIP? :lol:
Eben's said in interviews and videos that his direction was changed after a conversation with Eric Schmidt in which he was convinced to take the price as close to FREE as possible. That was a long time before the CHIP was ever thought of.

Also - the Avago deal looks a lot like a reverse takeover, which could have been done for numerous clever financial reasons that we will never know.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

mung

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:40 pm

alexeames wrote: So you reckon the first time they ever thought about the Pi Zero was in response to the CHIP? :lol:
Eben's said in interviews and videos that his direction was changed after a conversation with Eric Schmidt in which he was convinced to take the price as close to FREE as possible. That was a long time before the CHIP was ever thought of.

Also - the Avago deal looks a lot like a reverse takeover, which could have been done for numerous clever financial reasons that we will never know.
I reckon nothing, I have no idea what other people are really thinking, even when people tell what they are thinking.

I get the feeling the first proper work on the pi zero started in the 2nd quarter of 2015, not sure where I read that though or exact dates.

I am not suggesting anything was a response to CHIP just that there maybe some mysterious tenuous unknown link between the events that operates in a higher more spiritual level beyond the knowledge of mere mortals.

I have absolutely no knowledge of business terminology but I get the feeling Avago has been a publicly traded company since it split from HP so it would not be a reverse takeover. I doubt the takeover would be due to clever financial reasons, more likely due to consolditation and fund managers offloading their losses on poorly informed traders.

I just make this crap up to see what others have to say, like fruityloon says Popeyescock and coldhardcash..

PeterO

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:27 am

mung wrote: I just make this crap up to see what others have to say,
That will come back to haunt you !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Heater

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:22 am

My spirit guide showed me the future of the Pi in a vision...(cue Outer Limits theme tune... Dee, dee, dee, dee. Dee, dee, dee, dee)...

After some years of wild speculation by the Pi community and no word from the Foundation, Eben will happen to mention a new improved Pi in his understated way in some obscure interview.

That new Pi will have a 64 bit processor and 16G of RAM, the usual interfaces but SATA added. It will be a RISC V architecture, designed by the LowRISC guys just next door to the Foundations HQ in Cambridge. It will use that open source GPU design we have read about recently.

It will cost 30 quid and take the world by storm.

....then I woke up.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:39 am

mung wrote:
alexeames wrote: So you reckon the first time they ever thought about the Pi Zero was in response to the CHIP? :lol:

I reckon nothing, I have no idea what other people are really thinking, even when people tell what they are thinking.

I get the feeling the first proper work on the pi zero started in the 2nd quarter of 2015, not sure where I read that though or exact dates.

I am not suggesting anything was a response to CHIP just that there maybe some mysterious tenuous unknown link between the events that operates in a higher more spiritual level beyond the knowledge of mere mortals.

I have absolutely no knowledge of business terminology but I get the feeling Avago has been a publicly traded company since it split from HP so it would not be a reverse takeover. I doubt the takeover would be due to clever financial reasons, more likely due to consolditation and fund managers offloading their losses on poorly informed traders.

I just make this crap up to see what others have to say, like fruityloon says Popeyescock and coldhardcash..
Zero development was longer than that - it takes MONTHS just to get a device through testing and certification after it's designed and prototypes manufactured.

All mergers are due to clever financial reasons, if you look deep enough! There are also fewer poorly informed traders than you might think.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 am

mung wrote: I just make this crap up to see what others have to say, like fruityloon says Popeyescock and coldhardcash..
Making crap up, and misquoting people is trolling and often malicious. Don't do it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:05 am

Providing Broadcom Ltd continue to offer a Licence Agreement for their products it is a non issue, except for the people who are need to see doom and gloom everywhere that is..

mung

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:50 pm

jamesh wrote:
mung wrote: I just make this crap up to see what others have to say, like fruityloon says Popeyescock and coldhardcash..
Making crap up, and misquoting people is trolling and often malicious. Don't do it.
I like to call it 'trawling', the idea is to create a wide net of conjecture (NOTE: conjecture is not lies or misquotation), then you bottom trawl the ocean of information scraping the bottom, strip data mining all the fish.

I actually had a flash of distant memories after your accusation of misquoting people that jogged me to check magpi as that may have been the source, and I found this quote:
Mike Stimson, principal
hardware engineer and the
designer of the Raspberry Pi Zero,
tells us. He joined in January 2015
as the Raspberry Pi 2 project was
ramping down. The planning for
the Raspberry Pi Zero had just
begun, but Mike hadn’t begun
working on it at that early stage.
When
it
was
finally
pitched
to
him
at the beginning of the summer, it
took
him
off
guard
So the designer of the pi zero did not start working for rpf until summer 2015.

I can tell you I never intentionally make up misquotes of what people have said, which is almost diametrically opposite to the behavior of some of the moderators on this forum (This is an opinion based on wanting to avoid at all cost saying that anyone may have feeble memories or a poor understanding or comprehension).

Is analysis and guesswork now equivalent to trolling, I am not sure, I suppose it may depend whether you are a reasonable person or a social dictator that would like to stifle free discussion by using NLP.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:59 pm

mung wrote:
jamesh wrote:
I like to call it 'trawling', the idea is to create a wide net of conjecture (NOTE: conjecture is not lies or misquotation), then you bottom trawl the ocean of information scraping the bottom, strip data mining all the fish.

I actually had a flash of distant memories after your accusation of misquoting people that jogged me to check magpi as that may have been the source, and I found this quote:
Mike Stimson, principal
begun, but Mike hadn’t begun
When
it
was
finally
pitched
to
him
took
him
off
guard

I can tell you I never intentionally make up misquotes of what people have said, which is almost diametrically opposite to the behavior of some of the moderators on this forum (This is an opinion based on wanting to avoid at all cost saying that anyone may have feeble memories or a poor understanding or comprehension).

Is analysis and guesswork now equivalent to trolling, I am not sure, I suppose it may depend whether you are a reasonable person or a social dictator that would like to stifle free discussion by using NLP.

A most ironic post since you talk about poor comprehension. You displayed it in your post...

You just quoted "He joined in January 2015" which you interpreted as "So the designer of the pi zero did not start working for rpf until summer 2015."

It seems to me that something odd is going on in between what you read and what you type.

Cal it what you like, trolling, trawling, whatever. If it causes arguments and wastes moderator time, it will not be tolerated.

PeterO

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:05 pm

mung wrote:
Mike Stimson, principal
begun
, but Mike hadn’t begun
When
it
was
finally
pitched
to
him
took
him
off
guard
That's not what it says !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

mung

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 pm

PeterO wrote:
mung wrote:
Mike Stimson, principal

When
it
was
finally
pitched
to
him
at the beginning of the summer,
it
took
him
off
guard
That's not what it says !
PeterO
Okay, I mistyped what I meant, I will correct that to :
designer of the pi zero did not start working for rpf on the pizero until summer 2015.

When do you normally 'pitch' a project? once it is complete, or maybe it is pitched once an initial outline is made and some work and money is required??

Maybe the problem is with lack of time to proof read and edit journalistic copy (is everyone that publishes their text on the interweb not a journalist?), though I do have the suspicion that CJD maybe an as yet unrealised problem in the general population myself included.

I am not infallible unlike the pope.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:33 pm

I think we're done here. Locking now.

Return to “Off topic discussion”