Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: The Slashdot Attitude

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am

This is very much in the nature of a rant :-)

So Raspberry Pi is on Slashdot again with a post about the release of the Mk1 manufacturing circuit board. At present, at the 87 post mark, the main thread of comment is either about the layout (lots of snide comments about complexity) or rehashing the Broadcom/binary GPU blob/Openness argument. The one comment thread I've not noticed so far is the "vaporware" one!

The problem with Slashdot is that the majority of posters are Americans with a narrow, even insular technological perspective. Raspberry Pi is meaningless to them, they don't understand the reasoning behind the project, they don't understand who the target audience is, everything must be directly applicable to THEM hence the whines about openness and lack of control interfaces. The tags at the head of the Slashdot posting say it all, they only understand the Pi as a system for embedded applications, similar to Beagleboards or Arduinos, not as a standalone general purpose platform for a specifically educational purpose that just happens to have extra flexibility.

The point I suppose I'm trying to make is "Do we need to keep Slashdot informed at all?" I know there's a need to keep the Foundation in the public eye, and there's no control over WHO makes a submission to Slashdot but given the negative attitude there, and the amount of disruption it causes to this forum, perhaps there ought to be a bit of restraint over what we tell the Yanks?

Ok, rant off business as usual!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 am

Well, whether you keep Slashdot informed or not, they still see the information and people will still post stories. Not much you can do about that. Or indeed the phalanx of Nobbers who tend to post there.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Montekuri

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 am

As Liz has said in the Final PCB artwork topic, we can’t please all the people all the time.
Even in this forum we have negative posts about one thing or another.
And it isn't just Americans.
Internet has no frontiers, and a lot of people around the world wants a R-Pi device to make a lot of good things.
The bad words will vanish on the wind of the cyberspace and the creations of R-Pi will endure.

Burngate

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:16 am

Americans, insular? Then again, us Brits! (Re: Ultimate Pi Peripherals on: November 10, 2011, 11:21)
It's often said with scorn that only x% of Americans have passports, but if we didn't need a passport to go through the Chunnel, how many Europeans would have one?
We all see the world only from our own perspective. That guy in Thailand wants to use R-Pi to fullfill a need that I haven't got. So Ok a different layout for the board would be better for me, so sometimes life sucks, tough, I can manage! Life's full of compromises, and living with the compromise that the foundation has managed to come up with is way better than not having it at all.
I'd apologise for my verbal diarrhoea if I could spell it.

hsalonen

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 am

And Raspberry PI is beyond any critism?

Some people in Slashdot have valid points and concerns.

I would hate closing down access for people just because of some negative feedback. It's like sticking your head in a sand shouting "I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW I AWESOME I AM!".

So far people in the forums have been most responsive to all feedback, negative or positive - let's keep it that way.

AlanCox

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 am

I really don't think thats fair. If you take the slashdot users of any country they don't seem to be anything but trolls and haven't been for years. It's like wearing an "I ? The Dail Mail" T shirt.

I really wouldn't worry what either of the two think !

Jongoleur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am

Oh, I agree with the lot of you. We're on the Internet and there's no controlling what gets where when the information is pretty well public knowledge, though that seems to be beyond the understanding of some bodies.

Its just that I'd had my morning drift around my favourite links and what I'm beginning to see as the Slashdot Attitude irked me more than usual.

Nevermind.

Edit: An "I ? The Dail Mail" T shirt? WANT ONE!!! I know someone who would wear it without appreciating the irony.

matt_heys

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 am

Quote from Montekuri on November 16, 2011, 09:22
As Liz has said in the Final PCB artwork topic, we can’t please all the people all the time.

I want mine to come with a pony, preferably delivered by pony express. Tie it round the pony's neck and give it a map, then a slap on the rump.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 am

I stopped reading Slash dot years ago. The problem with the people on there is the same with many forums that have been around for years. It just descends into one-upmanship between users. Everyone is out to make themselves look good and everyone else look bad. I used to frequent the forum on ush.net which is a site about raves and dance music – that site has had slash dot disease since about 2003. Please can we make sure it doesn’t take hold on this forum?

kme

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 am

I agree with Davespice - I also dumped slashdot years ago when it turned into a moron magnet and very poorly moderated and equally poorly "researched" news articles. *IF* there occasionally are something intelligent, it's completely drowned in noise.

toadstool

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 am

I don't have a problem with Slashdot..... probably because I don't visit the site :) I *think* I once read something on there about 7 or 8 years ago but it was such an engaging experience that I can't remember the specifics.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Their moderation (or lack thereof) is a problem for me. I think I can speak with some authority here: if you want an online community to display certain characteristics, you need thoughtful moderation. I don't mean banning people willy nilly - we've never had to ban anyone here - but you do need moderators who can smooth ruffles, impress on people the need for civility, and correct misconceptions gently. It's amazing how well people respond to being treated like adults. And if you do spot real, honest-to-god trolls, I'm all for swinging the ban hammer as hard as possible.

Slashdot doesn't do any of this, but just has the echo-chamber upvoting tool. As a result, certain behaviour is reinforced, and there's a certain lowest-common-denominator sort of conversation that goes on (not to mention a lot of "I'm smarter than you" stuff - usually they're not). It's a good example of how to put new readers off. Obviously, their audience is huge, so there is an attraction for that sort of community, but it's not the sort of community I'd like to be involved with.

It's always worth reading; there are useful and interesting opinions on there, but filtering out the cruft is infuriating.

I should add that we don't submit press releases or anything else to *anyone* at the moment. All the press and web coverage we get is organic and is just driven by our readers telling people what they see here.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

johnbeetem

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Well, in the words of Oscar Wilde as interpreted by the late Graham Chapman:
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
And please don't be beastly to the Yanks. Most of us are not posting idiotic comments on Slashdot. And please don't blame me because my surname is spelled oddly.

liz

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 pm

*I* think Americans are fab. To such a degree that Eben and I are looking at moving to California (for work and sunshine) early next year. They're a hell of a lot friendlier than your average Brit, for a start.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jongoleur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Quote from johnbeetem on November 16, 2011, 14:53
Well, in the words of Oscar Wilde as interpreted by the late Graham Chapman:
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
And please don't be beastly to the Yanks. Most of us are not posting idiotic comments on Slashdot. And please don't blame me because my surname is spelled oddly.

Well, if you can't beetem.... :-)

I wasn't being beastly to all Yanks, just the small unrepresentative subset I loathed in an earlier posting to which I refer my honourable friend. Of course Oscar and Graham were terrible showoffs, so I can appreciate their PoV. And being "beastly" reminded me of dear, dear Noel .

Oh well, time for afternoon tea!

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:19 pm

On a slightly lighter note I think us Brits have the right to feel slightly indignant towards the Yanks owing to them repeatedly and often rewriting our stories and remaking our films :)

emercer

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm

I have a wonderful experience with /. simply because I don't waste time reading their moronic comments. I skim over the news and Ctrl+click links to the actual news sources so I can read some authoritatively written pieces on "news for nerds, stuff that matters", then I close their tab.

Shish

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I have a wonderful experience with /. simply because I don't waste time reading their moronic articles. I skim over the comments and Ctrl+click links to the actual news sources so I can read some authoritatively written pieces on "news for nerds, stuff that matters", then I close their tab. :-P

(Seriously, most of the time the sites that the articles link to are blogs and news sites offering their own spin on things, and then somebody in comments will kindly link to the actual research itself \o/ As to being full of trolls, I wonder if I'm unusually thick skinned, or whether you guys are reading with the troll-filters turned off, but nothing I see at +3 seems like trolling o_O)

tufty

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Haven't been on /. for a while, but it always seemed to me that the comments (especially the trollish ones) were better than the actual articles. Apart, obviously, from
First

ErvKosch

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Since the core group broke up (back in the Geeks In Space days) the board has really lost its focus. Again the core group kept the chaos in some sort of order. But it seems that the new moderators they hired to replace the core are just there to make sure no illegal materials gets posted. Also the last couple of revisions have actually made it harder to navigate comments.

Return to “Off topic discussion”