maidenshredds

Android Remix OS

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Hey guys!

So I searched this a couple of time and I didn't find a thread or anything really, so I'll ask now.

Is anyone here familiar with the new Remix OS Android operating system? I have thus far had limited success with booting one of my PCs (running Ubuntu) with it off a USB drive. It is basically an Android OS (so a Linux kernel), much like that on a Galaxy S5 or Android tablet, but you can boot a PC with it off a USB or other small harddrive (or similar). So I was wondering, would the Raspberry PI be able to run Remix OS? I saw a comment on Youtube where someone mentioned it, but I didn't see anything else.
Some are saying on the Remix OS forum that the Raspberry Pi 2 should be powerful enough to run it.

What do ya'll think

GTR2Fan

Re: Android Remix OS

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:43 pm

I think that, at the very least, it would need recompiling to run specifically on the Pi's ARM-based hardware.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm

There is a Google+ group for Android questions - we gave up with them here, they were just a distraction (since the Foundation does not support android in any way), and simply causing the mods too much hassle.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:49 pm

maidenshredds wrote:Hey guys!

So I searched this a couple of time and I didn't find a thread or anything really, so I'll ask now.

Is anyone here familiar with the new Remix OS Android operating system? I have thus far had limited success with booting one of my PCs (running Ubuntu) with it off a USB drive. It is basically an Android OS (so a Linux kernel), much like that on a Galaxy S5 or Android tablet, but you can boot a PC with it off a USB or other small harddrive (or similar). So I was wondering, would the Raspberry PI be able to run Remix OS? I saw a comment on Youtube where someone mentioned it, but I didn't see anything else.
Some are saying on the Remix OS forum that the Raspberry Pi 2 should be powerful enough to run it.

What do ya'll think
RemixOS and similar respins are for x86 CPU Architecture and nothing to do with the RPi whatever you
have read, as the RPi is ARM CPU Architecture, plus the fact there is no official Android for the RPi :shock:
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

hippy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:34 pm

I recall Remix OS was originally running on an ARM platform, but what type, and whether they still support ARM or have moved entirely towards X86, I don't know. Having an X86 version makes sense to bring it to the attention of a larger audience; That could be a change of direction or simply expansion.

cyrano

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 pm

The Remix OS is X86 only. There's an alpha version out, but no sign of anything ARM related.

They also seem to have a problem with licenses. There has been some criticism about not respecting GPL and stuff like that :roll:

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 pm

cyrano wrote:The Remix OS is X86 only. There's an alpha version out, but no sign of anything ARM related.

They also seem to have a problem with licenses. There has been some criticism about not respecting GPL and stuff like that :roll:
Remix OS appears to have the blessing of the Android-x86 developers, so any Licensing issues should be resolved.

There is also Pheonix OS which has limited ARM Support as well as x86-64...

Console OS is the Android x86 with issues
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/a ... 1Rm9u9DAAJ
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

tzj

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:35 am

well i have spotted a box running remix os on the same a53 quad-core that the pi 3 uses... but would still need a bit of work to get the videocore working.

http://www.jide.com/mini
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Mandrewpi

Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Kind of looks like a mix between chrome os, windows 10, and android.
The computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Pi 3 B, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Pi Zero W
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

DazzF

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:35 pm

I have Remix OS running on my Pine64 (64bit ARM SoC) and it is a very usable OS. Remix adds keyboard and mouse and a more recognisable 'desktop' type experience.

The architecture's are not a million miles apart, but I suspect hardware video acceleration will be the difficulty ?

Return to “Off topic discussion”