mathboy4life

Why is this Android Box as cheap as a Raspberry PI

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 am

Hi, I came across this android box on amazon and it costs just $35. How is it that an Android box with a case and remote can cost as cheap as a Raspberry PI which has no case or keyboard/mouse to control it. http://amzn.to/1JNzUu6

W. H. Heydt

Re: Why is this Android Box as cheap as a Raspberry PI

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 am

Same processor as the Odroid-C1/C1+. See here: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 1578608433

Note that the SoC uses Cortex-A5 cores, which--despite the fairly high clock speed--are much less capable on a cycle by cycle basis that the Cortex-A7 cores in the Pi2B. Micronauts benchmarks put the Odroid-C1 at about 10% to 20% faster than the Pi2B (IIRC), despite the 60% higher clock speed.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:17 am

Plus it's an OTT that uses the Mali 450 running Android...
Account Inactive

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:49 am

That is overpriced:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Ori ... 75928.html

Why so cheap ? Amlogic SoC advertised speeds appear to be unrealistic, quality and longevity dubious, software upgradibility not always offered.... Android is currently version 6.0.

Also it is not a SBC but a Consumer Device therefore buy today and buy a better one in 2 years time :shock:
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

stderr

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:04 am

mathboy4life wrote:Hi, I came across this android box on amazon and it costs just $35. How is it that an Android box with a case and remote can cost as cheap as a Raspberry PI
The pi is $5, everyone knows that.

Bucki

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:06 am

A 3.5 score(on a scale of 1-4(no zero)) is mediocre at best.
With all the problems cheap power supplies have given Pi user this one may be no bargain.

This is the real kicker and makes me want to use Linux instead of Android even for a bargain. Google maintains Android so makes it report your data. Your information is where Google makes it's money. Sending your data has to use at least some of your bandwidth too. We're spoiled with free stuff in the Pi ecosystem. On most of the internet the currency for "free", is your information or ads(more bandwidth). What's the real cost?

As the old saying goes: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :twisted: .

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:32 am

Bucki wrote:A 3.5 score(on a scale of 1-4(no zero)) is mediocre at best.
With all the problems cheap power supplies have given Pi user this one may be no bargain.
This is the real kicker and makes me want to use Linux instead of Android even for a bargain. Google maintains Android so makes it report your data. Your information is where Google makes it's money. Sending your data has to use at least some of your bandwidth too. We're spoiled with free stuff in the Pi ecosystem. On most of the internet the currency for "free", is your information or ads(more bandwidth). What's the real cost?
As the old saying goes: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :twisted: .
I'm amazed that people actually put their personally-identifiable information on, and access sites containing financial and other sensitive data from, such sieves ... I mean devices. As for "free" stuff, even air and water require effort to enter your body - there is no "free" lunch or anything else, and you can't even break even - see the Laws of Thermodynamics.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Heater

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 am

Why so cheap?

Buy one and find out :)

Plastic boxes and remotes can be churned out for cents so I wouldn't think about that. Then we see the price is about the same as a Pi.

As far as I can tell the thing is essentially useless. Unless you just want to watch telly.

Perhaps if you can figure out how to get Debian on there it would be more interesting. I'm not inclined to bother thinking about that, we already have the Pi and Raspbian.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:03 am

The OP never mentioned Android so a Rant is not really adding to what he wants to discuss, anyway many of these Android Devices can run other flavours of Linux...

Pithagoros

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:10 am

I could go and buy this or one of these other superSBCs that are apparently on their way to the market, but I would be more or less on my own with it. No established community created by millions of shipped units, documentation, publications, web sites, add on accessories, events, very solid and stable OS to name but a few advantages.

And Pi profit goes back into Pi and into education.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
I'm amazed that people actually put their personally-identifiable information on, and access sites containing financial and other sensitive data from, such sieves ... I mean devices. As for "free" stuff, even air and water require effort to enter your body - there is no "free" lunch or anything else, and you can't even break even - see the Laws of Thermodynamics.
Third Law alternative: You can't get out of the game.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:22 pm

Pithagoros wrote:I could go and buy this or one of these other superSBCs that are apparently on their way to the market, but I would be more or less on my own with it. No established community created by millions of shipped units, documentation, publications, web sites, add on accessories, events, very solid and stable OS to name but a few advantages.

And Pi profit goes back into Pi and into education.
Yes, all of that. And that's why it is somewhat amusing to watch little companies come out with boards when you *know* they haven't done the software work ahead of time to make it work *and* there is little or no software development and maintenance after product launch.

Of course, the problem is that, despite the obvious costs, the hardware is actually the *cheap* part of the process (witness the cost of the Pi0) while the software is expensive (even if only in people's time) and ongoing. The RPF has mastered those issues, and as a result (coupled with a "worthy" mission), is now the 800-lb gorilla in the SBC product room.

stderr

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:it is somewhat amusing to watch little companies come out with boards when you *know* they haven't done the software work ahead of time to make it work *and* there is little or no software development and maintenance after product launch.
The pi Zero is obviously a response to the competition coming from other companies. It works best when there are many different ideas coming out and competing for attention. The PC market worked so well because compatibility was allowed. Right now you can't be sure that some generic version of Linux will work on some random board when you are within the ARM sphere. So if you've got an orphan board, you might be forced to use whatever version of OS was available from the start.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Will say again it is comparing a Consumer Device to a SBC, which is unfair, a better comparision is a Android TV Box to a 7" Android Tablet or Android TV Stick..

Consumer Devices are bought, used as is, break within a few years, not worth repairing, recycling centre.........

Heater

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm old and confused.

Back in the day a "consumer device" was something like a radio, TV, refrigerator or washing machine or even the car you buy.

What we are discussing here is a toy that can be had for the price of a beer (almost)

Just buy it. Tell us why it sucks, which it will, at some point.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Heater wrote:I'm old and confused.

Back in the day a "consumer device" was something like a radio, TV, refrigerator or washing machine or even the car you buy.

What we are discussing here is a toy that can be had for the price of a beer (almost)

Just buy it. Tell us why it sucks, which it will, at some point.
Androd TV Boxes, just like a fridge, washing machine or dishwasher are bought to undertake a specific task ie a consumer device

Android TV Box are not a toy they fulfill a purpose as a Multimedia STB for consumers who want a plug in and use device.

Heater

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:08 am

Well OK. An Android STB is a "consumer device". It's certainly not industrial machinery or a nuclear war head.

On the other hand its a 10 dollar TV. A toy.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:15 am

Heater wrote:Well OK. An Android STB is a "consumer device". It's certainly not industrial machinery or a nuclear war head.
I'm sure that in 1985, plutonium is available in every corner drugstore.
Account Inactive

Bucki

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 am

by fruitoftheloom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 am

Bucki wrote:
A 3.5 score(on a scale of 1-4(no zero)) is mediocre at best.

The OP never mentioned Android so a Rant is not really adding to what he wants to discuss, anyway many of these Android Devices can run other flavours of Linux...
Rant? Device he linked to is android. No mention of what he was going to do with it. Should I have speculated? Would the time to change it to something else be considered a cost? Just pointing out that all cost isn't directly money.

mosespi

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:39 am

Don't forget everyone.. this stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper all the time, that is generally how it has been in tech/computing and I don't see the trend changing anytime soon.

Back in the 80s a good PC cost $2,000+, which is more then $4,000 today!... now? I get more computing power with a $2 microcontroller. This wasn't a big jump all of a sudden, but a gradual change that keeps going.

The original Pi started at $35.. but look at the $35 pi now.. more cores, better software, its faster and has more ports.

ARM is getting faster.. moving towards Intel.. Intel getting cheaper and more efficient towards ARM.. AVR/microcontrollers getting close to the 'single board computer' arena.. and on and on. It's hard to get oriented in this industry from decade to decade, it moves so fast, which is cool if you ask me.

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

jesus_malaga

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 am

I think we forget the true origin of prices for devices. They mostly depend on two factors:

- First, volume of the base production
- Second, quality control

This is a chinese generalist base android board. Manufactured per hundreds of millions. And quality control in production lines is much more relaxed than the specifications of raspberry pi production.

The raspberry will be a much more flexible product, and much more durable and strong that this "to be used out of the box" set. Not simply a matter of megaherzts & storage.

simonecallahan

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 am

its hard to beat pi.... they are currently less than 30 USD on amazone...... and in such amount you can have pi.. case...and mem card..... add a fiver if you need a wifi dongle......

Return to “Off topic discussion”