expandables

Making my own board

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:21 am

Just out of curiosity will i get sued or is this a trademark infringement if i name a board Raspberry 3.14 and logo is this
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Making my own board

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:00 am

If you think that you are at risk of being sued for infringement, then you probably shouldn't do it in the first place. To be sure, consult with an intellectual property lawyer.

(Actually...any time you have to ask, "Will I get in trouble for doing X?" all you are doing is trying to get other people to tell you it's okay to do something you know you shouldn't. Just remember that the people giving you advice aren't the ones that are going to have problems if they're wrong.)

expandables

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:51 pm

I was just "curious" but would be very funny for some one to do that lol Raspberry and the number PI 3.14 :lol:

BMS Doug

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:01 pm

expandables wrote:I was just "curious" but would be very funny for some one to do that lol Raspberry and the number PI 3.14 :lol:
there is a person who owns the copyright for that symbol and he does sue those who infringe it.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Hove

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:31 pm

BMS Doug wrote:there is a person who owns the copyright for that symbol and he does sue those who infringe it.
The copyright is for a pi symbol followed by a period / full stop used as a logo on athletic apparel. So they can't sue me for typing "π."
Last edited by Hove on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:33 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
expandables wrote:I was just "curious" but would be very funny for some one to do that lol Raspberry and the number PI 3.14 :lol:
there is a person who owns the copyright for that symbol and he does sue those who infringe it.
Notice that he trademarked the Greek letter followed by a period. I suspect that the trademark won't hold up under challenge.

expandables

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:39 pm

So there is a possibility of making a board and naming it Raspberry 3.14 and logo is the Number symbol for PI :shock:

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:25 pm

expandables wrote:So there is a possibility of making a board and naming it Raspberry 3.14 and logo is the Number symbol for PI :shock:
So far as I know, numbers cannot be protected, just like you can't patent mathematics or natural laws. In practice, get your board working first, *then* worry about what to call it...and I'd really advise not to use "Raspberry" or anything resembling "Pi", let alone in combination. This is not said from any concern about IP rights, but to keep you from looking like an idiot. Read over the comments people have made about all the other <name_of_fruit> Pi boards...Banana Pi, Lemon Pi, Roseapple Pi, etc. That naming technique (and the one you're proposing) look like cheap marketing tricks and will only make people think less of you.

Paeryn

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:33 pm

If I were in charge I'd insist that you would have to use the entire decimal value of Pi in the name, none of this rounding it off to a couple of decimal places malarkey. And if you somehow managed to get around that I'd change my mind and decide that it's just too similar and that you were trying to use another product's reputation to sell your own and fine you more money than you've ever owned.
She who travels light — forgot something.

expandables

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
expandables wrote:So there is a possibility of making a board and naming it Raspberry 3.14 and logo is the Number symbol for PI :shock:
So far as I know, numbers cannot be protected, just like you can't patent mathematics or natural laws. In practice, get your board working first, *then* worry about what to call it...and I'd really advise not to use "Raspberry" or anything resembling "Pi", let alone in combination. This is not said from any concern about IP rights, but to keep you from looking like an idiot. Read over the comments people have made about all the other <name_of_fruit> Pi boards...Banana Pi, Lemon Pi, Roseapple Pi, etc. That naming technique (and the one you're proposing) look like cheap marketing tricks and will only make people think less of you.
I have no real intentions of making a board no big profit in this business unless your name is literally Raspberry PI

Woll

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:02 am

Isn't "Raspberry Pi" in conjunction with each other under copyright?

Why not call it something else. As Pi is mathatics, why not call it "Raspberry Algebra©™®"
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

ame

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:04 am

expandables wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I have no real intentions of making a board no big profit in this business unless your name is literally Raspberry PI
If you had no intention of doing it (surprise!) why bother posting?

expandables

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:31 am

ame wrote: If you had no intention of doing it (surprise!) why bother posting?
Because i like trolling. :lol:

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:21 am

Woll wrote:Isn't "Raspberry Pi" in conjunction with each other under copyright?

Why not call it something else. As Pi is mathatics, why not call it "Raspberry Algebra©™®"
Trademark, so far as I know. One difference is that trademarks have to be defended or you lose them.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 am

expandables wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
It appears that my advice was too late...

Return to “Off topic discussion”