expandables

Who like MAN?

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:05 am

I love "man", you know the manual! :lol:
But seriously, if you don't know a command do you use a pocket reference or use the manual?
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Who like MAN?

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 am

I've been using "man" for over 30 years. Another useful tool (when you don't know what command you're actually looking for) is the bsd-ism: "apropos".

expandables

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:31 am

Try this "man bash" has anyone ever read the whole bash manual?

ame

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:02 am

expandables wrote:Try this "man bash" has anyone ever read the whole bash manual?
No, never. If you were to do so you would be the first! How amazing would that be?

Paeryn

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:40 pm

ame wrote:
expandables wrote:Try this "man bash" has anyone ever read the whole bash manual?
No, never. If you were to do so you would be the first! How amazing would that be?
I've read the whole bash manual, albeit a long time ago, so not the whole current manual. info is another good alternative.
She who travels light — forgot something.

scotty101

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:10 pm

My problem with many man pages is that they don't provide examples.

There should at least be one or two example for the most common uses of a particular program.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

fruit-uk

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Any for apropos?

expandables

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:31 pm

I have a serious question for programmers, I have a hard time remembering codes do you all use pocket reference or search online for what you forget? How do you remember all the codes?

joan

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:35 pm

expandables wrote:I have a serious question for programmers, I have a hard time remembering codes do you all use pocket reference or search online for what you forget? How do you remember all the codes?
What are codes?

For C functions my first port of call would be man pages. For Python I'd probably look on-line. For general Linux commands I'd use man.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:42 pm

joan wrote:
expandables wrote:I have a serious question for programmers, I have a hard time remembering codes do you all use pocket reference or search online for what you forget? How do you remember all the codes?
What are codes?

For C functions my first port of call would be man pages. For Python I'd probably look on-line. For general Linux commands I'd use man.
To use man, you have to know what command you want--or a close relative that might be referenced on a man page. That's where apropos comes in. Apropos to figure out what command you're looking for, then man for how to use it.

joan

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:53 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: ...
To use man, you have to know what command you want--or a close relative that might be referenced on a man page. That's where apropos comes in. Apropos to figure out what command you're looking for, then man for how to use it.
I have never heard of the apropos command before. Luckily man apropos tells me everything I need to know. Remind me in a years time and I'll say if I found apropos useful or not.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:10 pm

joan wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: ...
I have never heard of the apropos command before. Luckily man apropos tells me everything I need to know. Remind me in a years time and I'll say if I found apropos useful or not.
That points up another way to find out what command (or commands!) can be used to do what you want to do...Ask in a place frequented by others familiar with them.

Which brings up an old anecdote... Many years ago, in the usenet newsgroup comp.unix.questions, someone asked a question and ended his post with "...and don't tell me to RTFM if you WTFM." It was appropriate because some of the active posters to the group had *written* major unix utilities, and the man pages that went with them.

Return to “Off topic discussion”