stderr

Re: Pine64+ a good deal?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:30 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:The Roseapple Pi (where do people find these names?)
Why they take some fruit and put Pi at the end, that's the name. They are so low on names, though, someone was already forced to use Lemon Pi. Soon they'll start going with vegetables, I'm going to buy the Kale Pi as soon as it's available.
their software releases have separate downloads depending on how large a card you're going to use. They appear to have missed the idea of expanding a file system, manually, by request, or automatically.
You do realise that this just avoids the problem of expanding the file system by simply having people decide the size of their sdcard in advance, something they can see written right on the card. In some sense, it's genius.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:15 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: They appear to have missed the idea of expanding a file system, manually, by request, or automatically. One wonders if they will get around to a file expansion utility for a live system ...
They actually did ! (at least for debian, which is what I'm running on it) I may experiment with Android at some point (I am interested if my stuff will run on it) but mostly I'm interested in it as another tiny gnu+linux system! Anyways, I digressed... the file expansion utility is called resize_rootfs.sh.
I ran it just as soon as I got it booted up; no hits, no runs, no errors... takes another reboot of course.
Pine64_powerON.jpg
powered up, and active with debian 8 Jessie ~very nice
Pine64_powerON.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Their board has precisely the same heating issues that the Raspberry PI suffers from... the Pine64 idles with a heatsink at just over 44c. My PI-calc running on four cores drives it over 80c in about a minute; I throttled it back... don't want to ruin it just yet ! Its fast and has what one would expect for a gnu+linux system. They are using Mate by default (similar to Mint) and of course systemd is running.
Of course I only really had time tonight to get it booted, and do some preliminary testing; but I like what I'm seeing, even for a larger board (mine has the extra gig of memory, so that's nice), and the wifi board adapter--- its external antennae gives it a real boost !
Pine64_desktop.jpg
desktop view from my lab... looks good, runs cool, can be a desktop PC...
Pine64_desktop.jpg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
marcus
marcus
:ugeek:

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:58 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: They appear to have missed the idea of expanding a file system, manually, by request, or automatically. One wonders if they will get around to a file expansion utility for a live system ...
They actually did ! (at least for debian, which is what I'm running on it) I may experiment with Android at some point (I am interested if my stuff will run on it) but mostly I'm interested in it as another tiny gnu+linux system! Anyways, I digressed... the file expansion utility is called resize_rootfs.sh.
I ran it just as soon as I got it booted up; no hits, no runs, no errors... takes another reboot of course.
Thanks for that bit of information.
Their board has precisely the same heating issues that the Raspberry PI suffers from... the Pine64 idles with a heatsink at just over 44c. My PI-calc running on four cores drives it over 80c in about a minute; I throttled it back... don't want to ruin it just yet ! Its fast and has what one would expect for a gnu+linux system. They are using Mate by default (similar to Mint) and of course systemd is running.
Of course I only really had time tonight to get it booted, and do some preliminary testing; but I like what I'm seeing, even for a larger board (mine has the extra gig of memory, so that's nice), and the wifi board adapter--- its external antennae gives it a real boost !
Yeah...I added on their WiFi daughter card, RTC battery, and screen. I've been trying to find time and energy to sit down and attach the power and reset switches before putting it in the "case" (the slabs of plexiglas with those ginormous standoffs).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:28 pm

With regard to heating, any SoC with similar core's on a similar litho process will produce similar amounts of heat - these are pretty generic ARM a53 devices.

Note, Apple and some others design their own cores, not using the ARM supplied designs , they will have different properties.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

GoingPostal13

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:57 am

They are certainly chunky compared to the Pi.

Time to have a play.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 am

I have now received mine, haven't got around to trying it yet.

One thing I immidiately noticed is that the board was dirty, I guess they tried to clean up the flux but did a crap job of it and ended up spreading it all over the board.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks again the resize_rootfs.sh.

A couple of annoyances so far...
The Debian install isn't willing to accept a monitor size greater than 1280x720 and isnt autodetecting my 1920x1080 monitor (something Raspbian has been able to do for well over 3 years).

The WiFi board covers up the labels for the Power and Reset switches.

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:49 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Thanks again the resize_rootfs.sh.

The Debian install isn't willing to accept a monitor size greater than 1280x720 and isnt autodetecting my 1920x1080 monitor (something Raspbian has been able to do for well over 3 years).

Yes it is, you just have to know how to do it...

... go into /boot and edit the uEnv.txt file; you will find there something like 720p60

change that to

Code: Select all

1080p60
and then reboot... you'll be amazed ! :D
marcus

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:57 am

PineA64_Cooling_Fan.jpg
cooling fan on rubber stand-offs fairly quiet very efficient; no case mounts !
PineA64_Cooling_Fan.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
I found these rubber fan mounts (foreground) on-line; a little large for my fan-- just reamed the holes with a Dremel and then plugged 'em in. The fan is free-standing on the rubber mounts just over the standard SoC heatsink (offset by 4 or 5 mm ).

You guys might recognize some of the rest of the apparatus. I got the RPi.GPIO-PineA64 stuff from git-hub working last night; on both the debian and ubuntu loads / after I got my resolution worked out on the hdmi.

Cheers
marcus

jahboater

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Mine has arrived finally.

I noticed that it wont boot just by turning on the mains switch as the Pi does, I have to unplug the micro USB power and plug it back in again to start it??
I am using a Pi3 official PSU.

Its nice that it lives up to its name and actually has a selection of 64-bit OS's to choose from.

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:04 pm

jahboater wrote: I noticed that it wont boot just by turning on the mains switch as the Pi does, I have to unplug the micro USB power and plug it back in again to start it??
It will boot by removing the mains... but count to ten before plugging it back in, or turning it back on. The PineA64 has a power management chip that is fairly sensitive. Even better, get yourself the official poweron and reset switches for the board... then you don't have to remove the mains either/ just press the button.
marcus

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Thanks again the resize_rootfs.sh.

Yes it is, you just have to know how to do it...

... go into /boot and edit the uEnv.txt file; you will find there something like 720p60

change that to

Code: Select all

1080p60
and then reboot... you'll be amazed ! :D
Thank you...does that also mean that it will use *only* the resolution selected, or will it use anything up to that resolution? (The former could be a real problem. Later a lot better, but in that case, one would expect the value to be set for the highest resolution the board can handle....so I'm dubious that that is the case.)

stderr

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Later a lot better, but in that case, one would expect the value to be set for the highest resolution the board can handle....so I'm dubious that that is the case.)
I don't have one of these devices, but video adapters are often set to default below their max capabilities because it's more likely to work with whatever you plug it into and there at least in the past has been some possibility of damage to the monitor if it is over driven.

Of course there is supposed to be some communication between the two things to set up the possibilities but nothing works perfectly every time and people get madder if the magic smoke comes out when they just plug it in vs. when they've done something to the configuration and then smoked checked it.

jahboater

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:07 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
jahboater wrote: I noticed that it wont boot just by turning on the mains switch as the Pi does, I have to unplug the micro USB power and plug it back in again to start it??
It will boot by removing the mains... but count to ten before plugging it back in, or turning it back on. The PineA64 has a power management chip that is fairly sensitive. Even better, get yourself the official poweron and reset switches for the board... then you don't have to remove the mains either/ just press the button.
Waiting for a few seconds works perfectly - thanks!
I wonder if the Pi3 PSU has larger smoothing capacitors.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:22 pm

jahboater wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
Waiting for a few seconds works perfectly - thanks!
I wonder if the Pi3 PSU has larger smoothing capacitors.
I think its more to do with the PMIC on the A64. I'm still learning about it ... its even more sensitive to power requirements too. If you don't have a 2.5A switching PSU with a really good cord the PMIC will shut that sucker down. Over-volt, under-volt, temps, thin cord... name it/ its way more sensitive than the RPi !
marcus

yodermk

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:20 pm

I just received a couple Pine64 boards this week. My summary: Has potential, and there's plenty to like about it, but right now I couldn't recommend it as an alternative to the Raspberry Pi for most people.

The good: 2GB RAM, much faster ethernet.

The bad:

I recently got a Dell touchscreen monitor (S2240T) which works beautifully with the Pi and Raspbian out of the box, no setup needed. On the Pine64 I couldn't get it working at all in Ubuntu (it does work in Android).

Both boards reset repeatedly during boot when I have the wifi/bluetooth adapter connected. I'm using the RPI 3 official PS and believe that should be enough.

One of the boards had GPIO pins bent in shipping. The shipping was in a big puffy envelope, not a cardboard box like I get my RPI's from MCM in.

Their 7" touchscreen only works in Android, not Ubuntu (though that will supposedly be fixed soon)

So yeah, it has potential. We'll see where it goes in the next few months.

I'm currently working on a project that requires touchscreen in Linux and trying to decide which system to deploy it on. Was leaning towards the Pine64, but it might have to be the Pi for now.

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:35 am

PineA64_GPIO_fan_PN2222.jpg
PineA64 GPIO PI bus PN2222 fan motor speed controller LED lab
PineA64_GPIO_fan_PN2222.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
In this pic, I have inverted the Sparkfun breakout cobbler (its labeled on both sides) to bring the PI bus to the same side of the board as the euler bus. Here the LED lab is on the left side of the breadboard, while the PN2222 fan motor speed controller transistor is on the right.

The real advantage of the Sparkfun breakout is that the GPIO pins are all brought forward in sequence and the useless extra ground pins (all eight of them) have been removed. This PineA64 is running the lennyraposo debian mate build, as my primary desk PC for almost 10 weeks solid; not hits, no runs, no errors--- not even a hiccup. The cooling fan is free-standing on rubber fan mounts. The fan motor speed controller is described in the hardware threads on this site.

Also, new in this pic is the system LED (3mm green) and the power on, and reset buttons soldered near the front edge. I'm using a 32Gb SD card with multiple partitions for the file system. All in all, a very fine setup with 2Gb memory, PMIC (power management integrated circuit) and full 1080p hdmi / this machine has been a dream thin client.

marcus
marcus

Return to “Off topic discussion”