liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:49 pm

Ah, Fry's. It sucks living in the UK where the best you'll manage is bloody Maplin.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on November 17, 2011, 20:18
Been watching the Duran Duran Rio video again? 8-)

Nope.

Remembering a Past Life.

Got to have a vision of what you want again, after taking care of obligations.

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm

FRYs. The only place you ask a clerk: Chips are where?

And they ask back: RAMs, ICs, Processors, or Potato ?

Mega Stores, You Love to Hate 'em, until you need what they have in stock.

dhb

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I guess Bacan nails it with, "Mega Stores, You Love to Hate 'em, until you need what they have in stock." But I have to add it sucks hitting three Fry's and finding they're all out of the stock you wanted.

(I was going to tease him. An hour drive? How do you survive? :-) But then I saw Liz's post and I'm feeling guilty about hating my wealth of riches here, closer to the heart of Silicon Valley. Actually, I think they used to be better. There are a lot of places to buy refrigerators, TVs, and assembled PCs. There aren't very many other places to buy parts. Plus the Jolt cola cooler, deodorant, and munchie displays they used to have by checkout were iconic.)

Josh

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 20:49
Ah, Fry's. It sucks living in the UK where the best you'll manage is bloody Maplin.

Oh god, that word makes me cringe. We have a Maplin were Powerhouse used to be (remember that company?), it had a sign on the door saying they were taking stock checks... the sign stayed posted on the door for 7 years until Maplin came along.

What is with that store? It's full of weird brands I've never heard of, obscure looking devices and tons a crappy headphones. TBH, it's just as bad as PC World and Currys.

Josh

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 17:17
Those questions are being asked very regularly in the comments under the blog posts and especially under the FAQ. It's only going to get worse after December, too...

I've realized that. Just went on the FAQ's now, it actually crashed Opera :( The page is now amazingly huge!

Svartalf

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 20:49

All I have to manage is MicroCenter right at the moment, some hour's drive from where I'm staying right at the moment (Home base has no less than four Fry's in the area, with one of them all of 15 minutes' drive...). Maplin, though...I've heard horror stories... ;)

Svartalf

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Quote from dhb on November 17, 2011, 21:32

I guess Bacan nails it with, "Mega Stores, You Love to Hate 'em, until you need what they have in stock." But I have to add it sucks hitting three Fry's and finding they're all out of the stock you wanted.

I've found that they're keeping the online information about inventory pretty much in lock-step with the store's, so unless they're showing only one of an item at the location, you're planning on buying from, the odds are fairly decent of them having it there. YMMV. It's certainly the case with the Irving and Plano, Texas stores.

liz

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Quote from Josh on November 17, 2011, 22:18
Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 17:17
Those questions are being asked very regularly in the comments under the blog posts and especially under the FAQ. It's only going to get worse after December, too...

I've realized that. Just went on the FAQ's now, it actually crashed Opera :( The page is now amazingly huge!

Opera sucks. ;)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

obarthelemy

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Oooohh, Indeedy, opening tha FAQ with my Opera doesn't quite crash it, but the almost-2MB page kinda overwhelms it, takes 2 min to load and 5 to react to the "close tab" button. Firefox and Chrome get sluggish too, but not as bad.

dhb

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:50 am

Quote from Svartalf on November 21, 2011, 23:17

I've found that they're keeping the online information about inventory pretty much in lock-step with the store's, so unless they're showing only one of an item at the location, you're planning on buying from, the odds are fairly decent of them having it there. YMMV. It's certainly the case with the Irving and Plano, Texas stores.

My mileage has varied, but it's probably because I only check the website for things with difficult availability. (Besides if they get their act together, what would I complain about? :-)

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 am

Maplin... I grew up in Ireland and dreamed of having a Maplin. When I visited family in London I woudl go to WH Smiths and buy the catalog.
Now I'm in the UK and a Maplin has opened up near where I work I have actually bought stuff there.

Yes, the front of the shop is full of weird brands I've never heard of that compete more with Firebox than RS. But at the back is the real electronics bits. (Reminds me of Ann Summers stores for some reason)

Bypass all the gadgetry at the front and for last minute components it works for me.
But if I have a few days ebay has become my first port of call as there are a number of sellers doing electronic components and delivery is fast.

Ohhh... this is a SUCK thread so..
It SUCKS that I won't be getting a R-Pi until next year
It SUCKS that there isn't a Hackspace near me. (In case anybody here lives near Woking, UK let me know)
It SUCKS that football and celebrity gossip rules the airways rather than actually interesting things like tinkering, making and creativity.
It SUCKS that Jeremy Clarkson's sucky world view is considered entertainment.

I think I'll leave it there. Might be back again with more suckyness.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Quote from winkleink on November 22, 2011, 10:51

It SUCKS that there isn't a Hackspace near me. (In case anybody here lives near Woking, UK let me know)

Nowhere near Woking any more (used to work there in the mid 80s) It used to have some good pubs in the area. Does the Jolly Farmer still exist? So ok it doens't have a hackerspace but it does have a sculpture of a martian, pubs and me approx 3000 miles away so it's not all suckage

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Taken in isolation, I'd agree with you there but in a world where X Factor, Flog It, Cash In The Attic, Dickinsons Real Deal, bloody property programmes, bloody cookery programmes (sorry Liz!), Heirhunters, Pointless, The Chase, etc haunt the airways, then Clarkson is slightly more entertaining than they are....

D'you see Heirhunters is now a "primetime" TV programme? Now THAT sucks!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on November 22, 2011, 14:19

Taken in isolation, I'd agree with you there but in a world where X Factor, Flog It, Cash In The Attic, Dickinsons Real Deal, bloody property programmes, bloody cookery programmes (sorry Liz!), Heirhunters, Pointless, The Chase, etc haunt the airways, then Clarkson is slightly more entertaining than they are....

And there is always the chance he'll crash at high speed. They need to give him the next dragster to drive and maybe tamper with the brakes :)

I do like some of his WWII documentaries though -- the VC one was very interesting

JohnoFon

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 pm

I'd never heard of HeirHunters, so I've been for a look. Apparently the next programme is trying to find someone to inherit a "100 000 pound estate". I make that about 40 tonnes, give or take; I wonder what it's made up of.

Though of course it's just that some creative writer on the publicity team doesn't know where to find the '£' key.

THAT REALLY SUCKS!!

Jongoleur

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Quote from JohnoFon on November 22, 2011, 15:42
I'd never heard of HeirHunters, so I've been for a look. Apparently the next programme is trying to find someone to inherit a "100 000 pound estate". I make that about 40 tonnes, give or take; I wonder what it's made up of.

Though of course it's just that some creative writer on the publicity team doesn't know where to find the '£' key.

THAT REALLY SUCKS!!

£100,000 - 10% (or whatever the finders commission is) for the sharks doing the hunting, split between as many "heirs" as they find. WIth the smaller estates you wonder "is it worthwhile", but on the other hand, its better than the Treasury freezing onto the whole lot.

The horrifying aspect is that the "creative writer" who couldn't find the Stirling symbol probably did ICT at school...

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:20 pm

I saw that. BBC2 and all so not BB3 or BBC4. Is this called cost cutting or has true taste gone to pot.

On the flip side I would expect it to cost about the same to put HeirHunters on the TV as it would to commission a series on programming or kids.
Poo... I forgot the 1st rule of the YOU SUCK Thread - now that SUCKS.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on November 22, 2011, 15:57
Quote from JohnoFon on November 22, 2011, 15:42

THAT REALLY SUCKS!!

£100,000 - 10% (or whatever the finders commission is) for the sharks doing the hunting, split between as many "heirs" as they find. WIth the smaller estates you wonder "is it worthwhile", but on the other hand, its better than the Treasury freezing onto the whole lot.

The horrifying aspect is that the "creative writer" who couldn't find the Stirling symbol probably did ICT at school...

Am I being overly ironic by correcting the spelling of sterling?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Quote from ukscone on November 22, 2011, 15:15

And there is always the chance he'll crash at high speed. They need to give him the next dragster to drive and maybe tamper with the brakes :)

I do like some of his WWII documentaries though -- the VC one was very interesting

He's a smart bloke who ensures he performs to his target audience. If you don't like his presentation, well, you are not his target audience! In much the same way as I am not part of the target audience for "Coronation Sh*te", "X-f**ter", "I'm a knob, get me out of here before the creepy crawlies I'm so scared of eat my head" and "EastbloodyEnders". Oh, and football.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Quote from jamesh on November 22, 2011, 17:13
Quote from ukscone on November 22, 2011, 15:15

He's a smart bloke who ensures he performs to his target audience. If you don't like his presentation, well, you are not his target audience! In much the same way as I am not part of the target audience for "Coronation Sh*te", "X-f**ter", "I'm a knob, get me out of here before the creepy crawlies I'm so scared of eat my head" and "EastbloodyEnders". Oh, and football.

I do like to watch top gear just to see how un-PC he can be and on a certain level i do agree with him on a few things. but then again I am related to a daily mail reader so perhaps i've been tainted.

JohnoFon

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Quote from winkleink on November 22, 2011, 16:20

I saw that. BBC2 and all so not BB3 or BBC4. Is this called cost cutting or has true taste gone to pot.

On the flip side I would expect it to cost about the same to put HeirHunters on the TV as it would to commission a series on programming or kids.
Poo... I forgot the 1st rule of the YOU SUCK Thread - now that SUCKS.

You'd have to sex up the programming, though. How about something based on The Apprentice, with young software engineers competing for a place as Bill Gates' apprentice? Lots of emotion 'We've got fifteen minutes to get the final build done, and you haven't finished debugging the GUI!', perhaps some deceit and betrayal and emotional interviews with the losers.

The inevitable children's spin-off could have them trying to win a computer - though with the BBC's finances it would probably end up being a RasPi Model A.

(One of the many SUCKS here is that there's no-one British to head the programme.)

Jongoleur

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Quote from jamesh on November 22, 2011, 17:08

Am I being overly ironic by correcting the spelling of sterling?

No, its just that I went to Scotland for the Festival; it may be delayed spelin cooruptin. :-)

NormanDunbar

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:25 pm

I'll tell you what really sucks. My Dyson DC27 Animal. My god, it lifts the carpets!
Is it bad when your vacuum cleaner sucks then? :-)

Cheers,
Norm.
Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Why did Tarzan never have a beard?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Quote from NormanDunbar on November 24, 2011, 15:25
I'll tell you what really sucks. My Dyson DC27 Animal. My god, it lifts the carpets!
Is it bad when your vacuum cleaner sucks then? :-)

Cheers,
Norm.

[old joke but a goodie]

I always thought my parents were trying to kill me. whenever i was lying down on the carpet i'd see a light coming towards me with a sign saying DYSON on it

Return to “Off topic discussion”