Josh

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Good thing you've got loads of Moderators, all ready for the explosion of mass... well... idioticness.
Maybe you should have a forum for verified Developers - so, for people who have been with the R-Pi project before the official board comes out, or for people who fill out a form - it could be locked with a code. But, I'm not sure you can do that with MingleForums. Maybe you could switch to phpBB (they have great spam system after all, and a great word blocking system to cut out bad language)?

jimreynold2nd

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:13 pm

SOPA... SOPA... SOPA... I'm pissed off at how stupid some guy in Congress can be...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Somebody has come up with a new form of comment spam today, which is too new-fangled for the overenthusiastic Pi Spambot to pick up, so I'm having to filter it all by hand. I want to find the people behind it and kill them with Uggs and Pandora beads.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Quote from ukscone on November 17, 2011, 16:51
Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 16:36

Now! Hand over that Scone, you will not be hurt. ;-)

You are not allowed to have a scone until you have answered these two questions correctly.

1. How do you pronounce the word scone?
2. What is the correct order to put the jam and cream on a scone?

A1. SKA - Own That is my phonic spelling.
A2. Cream as in soft spread (not thick liquid) 1st, then Jam next.
[edit] A2b. Unless your eating your scone like a pudding, then it is Jam 1st, with the liquid cream 2nd, poured over the top of the scone until the scone just starts to float in the bowl.

I'll collect when we have a Developers Conference.

Do you do your Whiskey neat or Over ? And what age?

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Quote from Josh on November 17, 2011, 17:14
Maybe we could we have an Adult-Only Swim time on the forum then?
*ahem*... you're forgetting some people on the forum are actually under 18... including me.

As a former BSA & USAF pool Life Guard, I can tell you, exceptions are made on a case by case basis. You sound like a mature being. Your cleared for swimming during the Adult time.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 18:23
Quote from ukscone on November 17, 2011, 16:51
Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 16:36

Now! Hand over that Scone, you will not be hurt. ;-)

You are not allowed to have a scone until you have answered these two questions correctly.

1. How do you pronounce the word scone?
2. What is the correct order to put the jam and cream on a scone?

A1. SKA - Own That is my phonic spelling.
A2. Cream as in soft spread (not thick liquid) 1st, then Jam next.
[edit] A2b. Unless your eating your scone like a pudding, then it is Jam 1st, with the liquid cream 2nd, poured over the top of the scone until the scone just starts to float in the bowl.

I'll collect when we have a Developers Conference.

Do you do your Whiskey neat or Over ? And what age?

You were editing while I was replying. good job i checked before pressing submit.

i'll give you A1 as i rhyme it with "own" and so did my mother's side of the family but my biological & step-father's side of the the family rhymed it with "gone"

i'll only give you 0.5 on A2 though as where I was brought up (south leicestershire) it was jam first then the cream.

I'm not that much of a whiskey (or whisky) drinker although when I do it has to be a single malt that is old enough to drink itself and definitely NOT ON THE ROCKS!!!. I'm more of a Gin and Tonic man but only if it's schweppes slimline tonic, don't want to put on any weight ya know.

I won't get into the tart/pudding arguement but I have just put on the oven to preheat because I was watching a tv programme last night and bakewell tarts/pudding were mentioned and I fancy make some.

liz

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Slimline tonic is the devil's spit. Awful. I'd sooner forgo gin altogether.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 18:53
Slimline tonic is the devil's spit. Awful. I'd sooner forgo gin altogether.

but if you are drinking gin & tonic in a pints you do need to watch the calories.

Svartalf

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Quote from jimreynold2nd on November 17, 2011, 18:13
SOPA... SOPA... SOPA... I'm pissed off at how stupid some guy in Congress can be...

And, I'm embarassed at how stupid some of the people are for having elected the idiots in the first place. I'd have told the RIAA/MPAA bunch to go pound sand. (You got what you asked for with the DMCA (which is debatably Unconstitutional) and NOW you're whining that you shouldn't have to go police it yourself and you want to nuke entire swaths of the Internet on merely your own say-so? After you've shown that you're not capable of using the DMCA privs we gave you properly? Riiight...)

Svartalf

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Quote from ukscone on November 17, 2011, 18:51
I'm not that much of a whiskey (or whisky) drinker although when I do it has to be a single malt that is old enough to drink itself and definitely NOT ON THE ROCKS!!!.

Heh... I'd have to agree on all counts. Especially the "not on the rocks" part- why ruin a good single-malt (especially one as old as what we're talking about here...) by doing any more than putting a drop or two of water to stir up the flavor a bit.

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Do you do your Whiskey neat or Over ?

That was a Trick Question on my part.

Personally, as a Sailor, missing my Beneteau 310, I enjoy Rum!

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Quote from ukscone on November 17, 2011, 18:51
A2b. Unless your eating your scone like a pudding, then it is Jam 1st, with the liquid cream 2nd, poured over the top of the scone until the scone just starts to float in the bowl.

I won't get into the tart/pudding arguement but I have just put on the oven to preheat because I was watching a tv programme last night and bakewell tarts/pudding were mentioned and I fancy make some.

I do the soak 'thing, cause some times the bread has sat open for too long, family members, and a good softening is required. Else can you say "Hard Tack".

Also, I grew up as a USAF military brat. So I've been too many places while growing up, and only able to claim what tastes good to me for a cultural background.

liz

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Do USA-ian sailors drink pink gin? I've a few Royal Navy buddies - big strapping lads the lot of them - and they invariably order pink gin in the pub. The gin has to be Plymouth, which is a long way from being the nicest available.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 19:07
Do you do your Whiskey neat or Over ?

Personally, as a Sailor, missing my Beneteau 310, I enjoy Rum!

I like rum :) (ok lets admit it i like alcohol of all types) my favourite rum although i haven't had it in ages is pussers rum.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 19:16
Do USA-ian sailors drink pink gin? I've a few Royal Navy buddies - big strapping lads the lot of them - and they invariably order pink gin in the pub. The gin has to be Plymouth, which is a long way from being the nicest available.

I've never had anyone order pink gin in the pub here in front of me (Brooklyn) since the guys from newcastle who were on my dart team went back after their contract with the NYS corrections dept. ended which was over 10 years ago.
I've not actually been in many bars here that have angostora bitters available.

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Ahhhh.

Pussers.

The location, the memories. BVI. 45' sail boat with friends and daughter.

Your making my heart-ache and eye water, and ready to go back in a heart beat to the Islands.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Quote from ukscone on November 17, 2011, 19:23
Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 19:16

I've never had anyone order pink gin in the pub here in front of me, not even during fleet week since the guys from newcastle who were on my dart team went back after their contract with the NYS corrections dept. ended which was over 10 years ago.
I've not actually been in many bars here that have angostora bitters available.

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:26 pm

The West Coast Sailors, SF Bay racers. It's Beer, or California wine for the Ladies.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

All this talk about alcohol and the fact it's a bit nippy today has caused me to add a dash of scotch (the wife's bottle) to my cup of tea.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 pm

I am curious to know if any pub landlord has told Liz that she has to have her beer in a ladies glass and is still living :D

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:30 pm

OK, to keep with the thread theme. It SUCKs
not being on a nice big Sailboat,
. in the topical islands,
. . drinking your favorite beverage,
. . . with the people you want around you.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:36 pm

I have some suckage going on at the moment.

I can't find a VGA genderbender in my various boxes of computer stuff and went to 3 radioshacks and they didn't have any either and i don't have any VGA connectors to make my own :(

Why can't stores have what i need when i want it!!!

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:45 pm

My local Radio Shacks(2) are not even carrying a good selection of batteries. Forget anything for a Maker/Hacker/Geek to use. Over half the floor space is devoted to the cell-phone of the week offering.

An hour away in Sacramento CA, is FRYs, a mega anything geek store. If you know what you want, you can get it, some of the time, there.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 19:30
OK, to keep with the thread theme. It SUCKs
not being on a nice big Sailboat,
. in the topical islands,
. . drinking your favorite beverage,
. . . with the people you want around you.

Been watching the Duran Duran Rio video again?

8-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 pm

I spent the whole day yesterday sorting through my accumulated computer parts, trying to throw away as much as I could before moving at the end of the month. I still had 5"1/4 internal floppy drives, and 3"1/2 USB ones. A bowl full of assorted screws, and about 1km of various cables... I'm down to a large toolbox with the "just in case" stuff I'll probably never use again, and a small one with the stuff I *will* use, including the Pi's PSU and X Ethernet cable, ultramini keyboard and mouse, and 4GB SDs. I'm still missing an HDMI->DVI cable !
And now I'm lurking here instead of packing the kitchenware, which is even less fun than packing computer stuff.

Return to “Off topic discussion”