Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Quote from NormanDunbar on November 24, 2011, 15:25
I'll tell you what really sucks. My Dyson DC27 Animal. My god, it lifts the carpets!
Is it bad when your vacuum cleaner sucks then? :-)

Cheers,
Norm.

Oh GOD!

Dyson carpet cleaners certainly DO suck!

A hint for the unwary: If you've bought your first Dyson, don't put it over the carpets for the first time yourself. You'll be mortified by the amount of crud the thing will lift out of the pile - it really does seem that it's peeling it back to the underlay!

Get someone else to do it for you, and tell them to lie about how many times they had to empty the cylinder for each room...

8-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:46 pm

This thread has a way of coming back to life every thursday & friday. Looking for distractins until the WE anyone ?
Speaking of crud, I remember getting a skin cleansing / massage in a hammam a few times. It's disgusting, and shaming, the gunk they manage to rub off you.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on November 24, 2011, 16:22
Quote from NormanDunbar on November 24, 2011, 15:25
I'll tell you what really sucks. My Dyson DC27 Animal. My god, it lifts the carpets!
Is it bad when your vacuum cleaner sucks then? :-)

Cheers,
Norm.

Oh GOD!

A hint for the unwary: If you've bought your first Dyson, don't put it over the carpets for the first time yourself. You'll be mortified by the amount of crud the thing will lift out of the pile - it really does seem that it's peeling it back to the underlay!

Get someone else to do it for you, and tell them to lie about how many times they had to empty the cylinder for each room...

8-)

I think that I read somewhere that when the Dyson first came out some of the cheaper carpet manufactures had to improve their glue....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on November 24, 2011, 16:46
...I remember getting a skin cleansing / massage in a hammam a few times. It's disgusting, and shaming, the gunk they manage to rub off you.

This should be filed under the heading:

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!

:o
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

max1zzz

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:11 pm

This kinda sucks, lent my friend my hdd/odd emu (so he could install leopard on his iMac).
so i get a call from him "the imac restarted after i wiped the drive, and now the hdd now has "1st partition:AF" on it's screen", replug it, "nope still dosen't work" so about 30mins later i get a email to the tone of "Errm, i formatted the wrong hdd"
over 120GB of data, gone. :(
Somehow, he selected a disk clearly marked as the usb one, with the name HDD250GB (which he knows i use that name for my hdd's) which was clearly at least 3 times the size of his.
what amazes me even more is that he disregarded the warning message osx gives you.

and to add insult to ingery, that case has a write protect switch, if i flicked that none of this would have happened.

i will see what i an recover when i get it back tommorw.

120GB of files, gone. :(

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Dropped my 26" Asus screen while packing it tonight.
Even suckier, for what it says about me, I was happy... because I dropped it own my foot, so the screen is only cracked, still seems to work OK... Big Boo-boo to the foot though (I can't believe how heavy that screen is), but I'm happy to trade that for a working screen...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Ouch. Hope your foot's not cracked too.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Burngate

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:29 pm

So I do a job, it's only once a year, but it gives me a reason to keep the computers alive and programming.
So I'm looking forward to next March, if the Pi's come in time, cos I can migrate to them and be really cool.
And I've got lots of ideas as to how to do it, should I re-do everything in Python, which'll be on the Pi from get-go, or should I hope RiscOS will be useable at that point which'll be less work, or go for a whole re-write in something else or should that wait for the year after?
So the drool is creating a large puddle.
So the phone rings today. The job's off. They've retired us. Gone. Kaputt.
WHAT AM I GONNA DO????

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Actually I suck. I am trying to understand what on earth i was thinking of when I wrote a function in C about 8 months ago to do simple multiline editing. I need to modify it for single line editing and of course I didn't bother to comment it and i used lots of cryptic labels because of course I was never going to need it ever again so a quick and dirty hack worthy of the S.P.M.M.C. (Society for the Preservation of Mickey Mouse® Code) would do.

AARRGGHHHHH!!!!!! I SUCK!!!!!

Skygod

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on November 24, 2011, 16:22
Oh GOD!

8-)

And after you've cleaned with the Dyson, do the same room with a Kirby and get REALLY SCARED

We had a VAX ( I just had to buy it as I was a DEC VAX systems manager at the time)

We cleaned through twice before the Kirby demonstration and could not believe the difference.

Bottom line is that top quality COSTS, but value for money is what we tend to accept.

(I did buy the Kirby. Damned expensive, but unbeatable IMO)

Oh, just a quick PS. If you're at all squeamish about stuff like this, DO NOT ever use a Kirby on your bed mattress!!!

obarthelemy

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Clustersuck !

I'm moving, with my old appartment being emptied out today, and the new one available on Dec 2, so I'm in the country enjoying some of mom's cooking (got meringues today, for fixing her Scrabble software). Anyway, the move was going along fine until Thursday evening then I got in quick succession:
- 26" Monitor on foot, both a bit worse for wear. That was Thursday evening; things still globally OK.
Fun got all concentrated on Friday morning: I was to leave the appartment at 10:30
- I overslept, missed the 6:30 alarm, woke up at 8:30.
- woke up to find my overnight backup had failed, apparently the main ext4 drive won't mount any more... hopefully it is "just" the USB enclosure... anyway, time to pack the PC and get everything down.
- neighbour who was supposed to help me get 7 huge/heavy suitcases downstairs (4 to store in his apartment till Dec 2; 3 with me in the cab) got sick, as in really sick.
- elevator out of order (4th floor, 5th to you yankees)
- foot still hurting, thank you ^^
- back still broken from my last bout lugging suitcases 3 weeks ago
- mover who was supposed to collect 2 antique tables over the weekend calls to cancel at the same time.

I did make it to the train on time, so everything was fine. I did blow up at the nice guy at the post office who was trying to save me $10 by wrapping my ADSL box differently before sending it back. Did come back to apologize ^^

Oh wait, someone chose *my* train to commit suicide under, and it was not even Friday afternoon ! Was that inconsiderate or what ? So add 4 hrs to the 3hrs trip, with the parents driving from city to city as the train company kept changing pickup spots: Aix.. no, Marseilles, no Avignon.. suck it, go home, I'll let you know when I get out ^^. I do feel sorry for whoever jumped though.

BTW, one of the 8 suitcases I had sent down to my parents' beforehand seems to have gotten lost; only it's not a suitcase, it's the medium/high end handmade massage table I went to NY to buy a few years back, shipping was more expensive than a round trip ticket ^^

I'm too scared to look into the HD issue right now... waiting a bit until my karma swings back the other way.
Last edited by texy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: redited profanity

liz

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm afraid I got to "handmade massage table" and the surprise was so great that the rest of your post has made no impact at all. Handmade…whowhatnow?

obarthelemy

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:39 pm

http://www.topmassagetables.co.....asp?ID=921

something like that, i don't remember all the details I dove into when I was choosing it, but it looks quite like this. Not black though, black is threatening !
So I don't break MY back while I'm making yours feel so good ^^
Just a hobby, took a few years of classes though. People keep falling asleep on me ^^

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on November 26, 2011, 21:39
People keep falling asleep on me ^^

Well if you will insist on talking about computers

obarthelemy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

More funner: the company I contracted to make the apartment spic'n span for the new owners sent ... a drunk. Trouble started at lunch when the nice neighbour I had asked to open my door for her and show her around called me to tell me the lady wasn't able to push the elevator's buttons and open the door, and it went downhill from there... she tried to force her way into another neighbour's (a petite lady with 3 kids).. the cops came but did NOT take her back home nor remove her from the premises, she's been hanging around insulting people and banging on random doors for the better part of the afternoon.
I'm 800km away, just spent 2hrs on the phone apoligizing to everyone and being nasty with the company... (wait, another neighbourly call... crazy drunk lady still on site ...)

Any beefy guys from Paris with nothing to do tonight ? ^^

crundy

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:09 pm

HMV Suck!

OK so tehmizzus and I were wandering around HMV looking for gifts for the kids on her side of the family, and I spotted the iPod docking stations. Knowing she wanted one to have on xmas for the dining room I beckoned her over. She found one she really liked and said she'd buy it for the grand sum of £60. In the car ride home she then said "actually we should have really checked on Amazon first". So when we got home we did and found the same model for £42, free delivery. A bit angry, my wife decided to order it with the view that we could take the HMV one back in a couple of days.

So a couple of days later we took it back and told them we wanted to return it, unused, and they said they can't give us our money back and we would have to have the money as an HMV gift card that expires in 2 years (money expires, who knew?).

OK so according to the Consumer Rights Act they are under no obligation to accept it as a return if it isn't faulty, but what annoys me is that high street companies are dropping like flies and blaming on the evil internet. The fact is, if I can get something online at 70% of the price of the high street, and be protected by the distance selling regulations (I can return the item within 7 days for no reason whatsoever and get a refund), why the hell should I shop on the high street? Instead of bitching about the internet how about you become more competitive? A**holes.

JohnoFon

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 pm

(Forgot to quote again! It's an answer to the posting immediately above.)

The reason why the shop has to charge more is that:
They are paying for expensive premises for you to go and inspect the goods properly - you can't get a feel for how slim and beautiful an iPad is, and compare it with another tablet, by looking at pictures on the Internet.
The Internet suppliers aren't having to ship equipment round the country for you to examine, and are buying the kit in higher volumes so that they can squeeze down the suppliers margins. This sounds great for the customer, but consider that one day you may have developed a saleable
product, and it will happen to you.
Did you ask any advice from the staff? High street shops put a lot of effort into helping the customer make a good choice, only to have them push of home and buy it online. The time taken talking to customers, and demonstrating kit, has to be paid for somewhere.
So no, from a purely self-centred point of view there is no reason why you shouldn't buy it cheaper online, but when you want to buy a couple of fuses and you find that the shop's gone out of business because the Internet has taken their customers and you can't get them online without paying ten quid postage, you might wish you hadn't dismissed them with such a rude word.

By the way, did you go back without the receipt? The only reason I've been offered a credit note instead of cash is when I couldn't provide of purchase.

crundy

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 am

I understand that their overheads are higher, but over 40% higher? Yes I did take the receipt back with it. My point is I'm more than happy to support the high street (I always buy my homebrew supplies at a higher cost from my LHS and not the internet) but I think there's a line. The cash-for-credit policy was a little too far over that line for me.

jamesh

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 am

Quote from crundy on November 30, 2011, 10:06
I understand that their overheads are higher, but over 40% higher? Yes I did take the receipt back with it. My point is I'm more than happy to support the high street (I always buy my homebrew supplies at a higher cost from my LHS and not the internet) but I think there's a line. The cash-for-credit policy was a little too far over that line for me.

Ahh, someone else who brews their own beer!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

liz

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:49 am

No need to here; the pub next door brews their own far better than I can. Which neatly explains this morning's headache. Which sucks.

crundy

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am

Well, I used to do my own beer, but I'm a lager guy (never been into ale), and while ale is really to homebrew, lager is a lot harder. Pressure barrels don't give enough fizz, and you'd be hard pressed to refridgerate one. Bottles are fine but a pain to sterilize, cap and clean. Plus good lager needs to be left to bulk "lagern" for about 3 months, cold. The last two batches I did got contaminated and had a nasty layer of mould on top when I was about to bottle them :(

I stick mainly to wine these days. Plus the wife bought me a soda stream as an early birthday prezzy so we've been making "champagne" using the homebrew. My fave at the moment is the Cantina Peach Chablis. While the claim that it's ready to drink in 5 days is complete bollocks, it does taste great after bulk conditioning for a few months.

Luny

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 pm

My head cold sucks. Investigating the best performance test app for PCs sucks. Not writing any decent code for 3 weeks sucks. Not having enough time to write software I want to write sucks.

On the other side, still having a job after 2 years is a great change, still having a job during a rescesion is good. Being paid a decent wage is good. Our new fridge is smart. Being in a happy company is good.

It is all down to perspective. :)

Luny (a loon by nature)
Luny

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Does a fridge start being smart when the micro-organisms living within it reach critical mass ?
You might have a problem....

abishur

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:32 pm

*shudder* sounds like the fridge that came with my house. There was clearly a reason why they left that sucker behind!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Luny

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on November 30, 2011, 15:10
Does a fridge start being smart when the micro-organisms living within it reach critical mass ?
You might have a problem....

Ah good point, my perspective was smart as in good. hehum, coming from someone who whinges about kids slang today ;) My fridge is clean and good. He He!
Luny

Return to “Off topic discussion”