Burngate

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:39 pm

3000 SF paperbacks take up one wall of my study. An iPad would fit on my desk.
But scribbling notes in the margins is easier in a book, and without that, Fermat would've been stuck.

zog

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 pm

I tell you what sucks, buying a new android tablet for my wife for Christmas to discover it's rooted and probably fake!

Seriously though would a tablet manufacture ever supply a new tablet that had been rooted ?

r3d4

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:30 am

BT at the door at 8:25 , do you need new phone line :cry: no thats the flat down stairs , i need sleep :twisted:

Douglas6 wrote:Image
PeterO wrote:Ho Ho Ho
Oh my gosh...Santa!
Leave my presents under the tree .
hmmm - voltaire
Real life is, to most , a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
what about spike milligan??

mikerr

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 am

zog wrote:I tell you what sucks, buying a new android tablet for my wife for Christmas to discover it's rooted and probably fake!

Seriously though would a tablet manufacture ever supply a new tablet that had been rooted ?
because they haven't certified it with google, so have to root it to put on google play,maps etc.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

aTao

Software updates that fubar your system

Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:39 am

Getting a bit sick and tired of it right now.
Seems that its an increasing trend with Linux,
Shockwave Flash (On Firefox) FUBAR.
Bluetooth (to my phone) FUBAR on 2 distros

Quit breaking things.

Linux is taking a big step back to geeks only right now, not a good move
>)))'><'(((<

rpdom

Re: Software updates that fubar your system

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:10 pm

aTao wrote:Getting a bit sick and tired of it right now.
Have you a message about it being out of date and disabled? I had something like that a week or so back. Updated to a newer version and all is well. :)

aTao

Re: Software updates that fubar your system

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:02 pm

rpdom wrote:
aTao wrote:Getting a bit sick and tired of it right now.
Have you a message about it being out of date and disabled? I had something like that a week or so back. Updated to a newer version and all is well. :)

Firefox would not automatically load Flash content, but would offer (with dire warnings) to go ahead anyway, either per instance or forever by web site.There has aslo
been a recent update, cant remember whether that was when or after Firefox sulking about it.

Ohh, and while I am here...

Yet another bloody typical update....
Was on Fedora, the network control panel lost the option to share internet connection to a socket. Sure there was still a bash way to do it, but thats exactly what I mean about geeks only.
>)))'><'(((<

r3d4

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:37 am

Facebook YOU SUCK :!: :!: :!:

In so many ways the latest of which is : 'inadvertent-algorithmic-cruelty' http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2014/ ... c-cruelty/ .
hmmm - voltaire
Real life is, to most , a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:50 pm

r3d4 wrote:Facebook YOU SUCK :!: :!: :!:

In so many ways the latest of which is : 'inadvertent-algorithmic-cruelty' http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2014/ ... c-cruelty/ .
How did it take you so long to work that out? I ditched my Facebook ID two years ago because I couldn't rationalise their complete lack of security and their ownership of MY media policies.

One of the things I like about Flickr (remember that) is that it allows you to assign a Creative Commons licence to every photo you upload. My choice is BY-NC-SA http://creativecommons.org/choose/ Facebook never got the concept of CC licences.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

r3d4

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:18 pm

DougieLawson wrote: How did it take you so long to work that out? I ditched my Facebook ID two years ago because I couldn't rationalise their complete lack of security and their ownership of MY media policies.
Facebook never got the concept of CC licences.
While i can be a bit slow , i dont have an account with em . + i dont think i could even open the site on my old crap (free as in skip diving) HW!

They use the "open" software even talk about "open" hardware , but most of what i hear about FB sounds like BS/hype/ect ... when the beeb started feeling the need to get profiles and give them free hype in the process was the high tide mark of peek stupidity IMHO
hmmm - voltaire

Richard-TX

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:03 pm

The last time I used facebook was when I read a co-workers page. In it was:

"Loaded the kids in the car. Going to Walmart.
Stopping to get gas.
We are now at Walmart. Doing some shopping for school supplies."

I immediately nuked my facebook account and have never gone back.

I do not want or need to know what someone did on any given day.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Douglas6

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:00 am

C, you suck!

int, int8_t, uint8_t, guint8.....seriously? (I know, I know, but still)

PeterO

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:18 am

Douglas6 wrote:C, you suck!

int, int8_t, uint8_t, guint8.....seriously? (I know, I know, but still)
This is a "Good Thing" (tm)

You've obviously not been around long in the "C" world !

In the beginning K&R said "Let there be int and unsigned int" and that was all you got ! Not even a hint at how many bits there were in an int. For example C was available on machine with 36 bit words !

Now we have int8_t, int16_t,int32_t and int64_t (and I'm sure we'll have int128_t before long, if not already!) so you can choose the most appropriate data size for your problem.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Jessie

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 am

Anyone here have a bum Christmas? Just wondering, my father in law died the day after and a couple years back a grandparent died the day of. Boy am I tired of getting reminded of my mortality when I should be relaxing.

Douglas6

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54 am

I'm very new to C, so yes, I'm just venting. But did glib really need to come along and define their own types? Can anyone just do that?

Douglas6

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:58 am

Jessie, yes, my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few days ago. Christmas sucks too.

Burngate

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:10 am

We were due to go over to my parents in law for Christmas, taking along all the makings of a Christmas meal (they're a bit past all the hassle, living on Meals on Wheels, which adds its own piquancy to catering for visitors)
But it turned out he wasn't feeling well, so we postponed it for a day. Ate half the meal and drank half the wine, which meant we had to buy extra for Boxing day ... which was again potponed. Rinse and repeat.
So we may go today. Or not. Awaiting a phone call.

Now, there only daughter, my wife, died a few years ago (cancer ... ). They miss her. So do I.
Having no other relatives, they want to treat me like a son. But I had my own parents, and don't want another set. I try to be sympathetic, but get irritated by them. Particularly as I feel no great empathy - I married their daughter, not them.

They're both in their late 80's, and somewhat frail. Is his latest illness just another pothole in life, or the final chasm? Will he die, or will she die first? This month? Next year? Ten years from now? How will I support the one left behind, when it finally happens? Is waiting for the inevitable better or worse than its arrival?

Life sucks.

EDIT:
So we got the phone-call. Although they were not at their best, they said, they'd be very pleased to see us - as long as we didn't mind the house being a mess. So we went.
They were the most chipper I'd seen them for months.
Last edited by Burngate on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aTao

Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Having read the start of the first "how bad was your Christmas" post I was all ready to bitch about the cold that kept me home alone. Having read the remainder of that post and the ones that followed I think I'll just not complain.
>)))'><'(((<

rpdom

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Just to go against the grain (I hope this is allowed in this venting thread), my Christmas has been one of my best ever.

This is because my wife has been ill for a long time now. Over the years she has been getting steadily worse and although she has tried hard she hasn't been able to manage to fully enjoy Christmas for a while.

Earlier this year I had to take her in her wheelchair to hospital late one night and they kept her in for over a week. The diagnosis wasn't good and she was told she'd be lucky to see her birthday in November, let alone Christmas.

Against the odds she fought back, and although she still gets tired quickly, she is improving every day and can now walk unaided for short distances, and this is the first Christmas that we've had together where she has managed to eat a full Christmas dinner with roast, pudding and mince pies.

The latest diagnosis is that she could live a fairly normal life for many years to come now. :)

(That's her holding the spider in my avatar pic)

emgi

Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Those who put ASAP in their forum post. :twisted:

Best recipy to be ignored. :mrgreen:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm

emgi wrote:Those who put ASAP in their forum post. :twisted:

what about those who post something that includes "I just want" in their post. IMHO it simply indicates they have no idea about the difficulty of what it is they are asking!

PeterO

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:20 pm

And those that use titles like "HELP!!!!!!!!!!" :evil:
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

emgi

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 pm

PeterO wrote:And those that use titles like "HELP!!!!!!!!!!" :evil:
Yeah, those too. :twisted:

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54 pm

emgi wrote:Those who put ASAP in their forum post. :twisted:

I ignored that one today :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Mandrewpi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:04 pm

PeterO wrote:And those that use titles like "HELP!!!!!!!!!!" :evil:
Sorry :?
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

Return to “Off topic discussion”