r3d4

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Jim JKla wrote:People who either don't put at least a country in their profile or put some fictitious rubbish.
What about spike milligan?? :!: :?:
blachanc wrote:lets not talk about MS here anymore
What about spike milligan?? :?: :?:
blachanc wrote:White Flag....
Its nothing personnel - Said the General
Said the General of the Army,
'I think that war is barmy'
So he threw away his gun:
Now he's having much more fun.
- spike m

:lol:

In other news https://www.#google.com/friendconnect/s ... __en_US.js SUX so much it almost crashed my efffffing browser :cry:
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Real life is, to most , a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
what about spike milligan??

masterdrain

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 pm

People that start a thread with a basic question, or an off-the-planet hair-brained scheme and then don't come back to say 'Thank you' and disappear off the face of the earth!

Iain Johnstone

Jim JKla

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 am

@Iain
I think you will find they are still somewhere on the face of the Earth just not posting in the forum. :D

Apart from the exageration I would agree this is annoying.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Ravenous

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:47 am

r3d4 wrote:What about spike milligan?? :!: :?:
Lady Barnaby takes her ease
Knitting overcoats for fleas
By this kindness, fleas are smitten,
That's why she's very rarely bitten
:mrgreen:

BMS Doug

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:03 am

Pi Hut: you suck.

When I order a 2.8" TFT kit I expect to get a kit, not an amateurishly soldered pre-assembled screen with a broken lead on the touchscreen connection.
When I try to contact you to enquire about the issue I expect a response, not to be ignored. If you are going to have a telephone line then you should answer it when people ring you during the day, in the middle of the week.
When I e-mail you I'd like to receive a reply within a reasonable timespan, even if it's just an acknowledgement of my complaint.

Pi hut: you suck.
I'm taking my business elsewhere.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

abishur

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Finally finding a thread that addresses a problem you're having only for it to end with the original poster saying "Never mind, I figured it out" without providing any details.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

BMS Doug

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:25 pm

abishur wrote:Finally finding a thread that addresses a problem you're having only for it to end with the original poster saying "Never mind, I figured it out" without providing any details.
ouch.

I'm ashamed to admit that I laughed a little when I read that. sorry. :oops:
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Ravenous

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:33 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
abishur wrote:Finally finding a thread that addresses a problem you're having only for it to end with the original poster saying "Never mind, I figured it out" without providing any details.
I'm ashamed to admit that I laughed a little when I read that. sorry. :oops:
I sort of laughed and cried at the same time (slight exaggeration).

Really, it's nice when someone comes back and says what they did (or if they did something else instead). But perhaps if there were no other replies, the poster just assumed the answer was obvious and only they hadn't known it...

DrDominodog51

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:10 am

DougieLawson wrote:
DrDominodog51 wrote:Shell Script = Unix Executable
I NEED TO THROTTLE THE IDIOT THAT CAME UP WITH TWO FILE NAMES AND EXTENSIONS THAT DO THE EXACT SAME THING.
Extensions are 100% irrelevant. We're not running Windows with its broken file associations crud. Unix determines the contents of a file with the magic bytes in the header. The file command reveals what linux thinks the contents of a file mean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_numb ... ramming%29

If you have a shell script named /usr/local/bin/foo and another named /usr/local/bin/foo.sh it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. You can have an executable called /usr/local/bin/bar or /usr/local/bin/bar.sh and again it's just an executable file.
I know. Its just annoying when you are using Xcode to create an application (.sh files) and some of the files in that application are from a Ubuntu booting computer(Unix Executable).

elatllat

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 am

http://xkcd.com/979/
2160p + USB3 + Wayland: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

PeterO

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 am

DrDominodog51 wrote: Its just annoying when you are using Xcode to create an application (.sh files) and some of the files in that application are from a Ubuntu booting computer(Unix Executable).
Nope, still not getting what you are so annoyed about....

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

r3d4

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:07 am

PeterO wrote:
DrDominodog51 wrote: Its just annoying when you are using Xcode to create an application (.sh files) and some of the files in that application are from a Ubuntu booting computer(Unix Executable).
Nope, still not getting what you are so annoyed about....
Perhaps it is ( ubuntu specific versions/forks/alterative) binary programs called from shell script on osx? aka shell script dependency hell :idea:
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Real life is, to most , a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.

r3d4

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 am

Ravenous wrote:
r3d4 wrote:What about spike milligan?? :!: :?:
Lady Barnaby takes her ease
Knitting overcoats for fleas
By this kindness, fleas are smitten,
That's why she's very rarely bitten
:mrgreen:
--
Things that go 'bump' in the night
Should not really give one a fright.
It's the hole in each ear
That lets in the fear,
That, and the absence of light! :)

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:53 pm

What is so hard about posting a link to http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151 rather than telling the new user who is probably a new user of PHPBB3 forums to "Go and read the sticky thread".

STOP DOING IT PEOPLE. BE NICE!
Give the new user a break by feeding them the link they need. It's not hard.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

drgeoff

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:27 pm

DougieLawson wrote:What is so hard about posting a link to http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151 rather than telling the new user who is probably a new user of PHPBB3 forums to "Go and read the sticky thread".

What is so hard about seeing "NO VIDEO - NOT BOOTING?! Read this, the boot problem sticky!" at the top of the Troubleshooting page the new user is posting in? :)

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:49 pm

drgeoff wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:What is so hard about posting a link to http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151 rather than telling the new user who is probably a new user of PHPBB3 forums to "Go and read the sticky thread".

What is so hard about seeing "NO VIDEO - NOT BOOTING?! Read this, the boot problem sticky!" at the top of the Troubleshooting page the new user is posting in? :)
Because, it's clearly invisible (or doesn't trigger a synapse) when they post a new thread.
MQTT Evangelist

r3d4

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Oh my life qa-what-is-encoding.en

Q- How does this affect me?
Q- How this will torment me? :evil:
A- Eternally :evil: :evil: :evil:

-
Thank primus and others for the sweet mercy of antipop,. :?
I am the plan, I am the man
who tells you what and when you can.
I'm the old one that torments you.
I am the voice that tells you to:
/vent

aTao

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Smart phones..

So, some-kind-of-phone running some-kind-of-os. Internet explorer works fine, facebook app says no network.
Solution: set date and time correctly.

The next time some one says "Google it" I will scream. Took about 6 search strings and about 6 or 7 pages from each search to find the solution.
>)))'><'(((<

PeterO

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 pm

aTao wrote:Smart phones..

So, some-kind-of-phone running some-kind-of-os. Internet explorer works fine, facebook app says no network.

The next time some one says "Google it" I will scream. Took about 6 search strings and about 6 or 7 pages from each search to find the solution.
So you expect the solution to be the first page of the first link on the first page of links that google provides ? :roll:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

aTao

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:46 pm

PeterO wrote:
aTao wrote:Smart phones..

So you expect the solution to be the first page of the first link on the first page of links that google provides ? :roll:
PeterO
Yes, dont you?
>)))'><'(((<

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:33 pm

I sort of expect that the poster has Googled before they tell someone else to, and it's always nice to suggest a search string; not everyone has a black belt in Google Fu.

mikerr

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:44 am

aTao wrote:The next time some one says "Google it" I will scream. Took about 6 search strings and about 6 or 7 pages from each search to find the solution.
Well that's down to your search terms (getting them right is an art in itself)

I find I have to put lots of things in quotes or adding a + to a word as nowadays google is "helpfully" ignoring some of your search words.

ObRant: why is it so easy to type crontab -r instead of crontab -e :evil:
Last edited by mikerr on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Ravenous

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:52 am

I sometimes wonder if the English language would benefit from a few thousand more words being invented, to get rid of the most common double meanings and improve searches.

:twisted:

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:17 am

There was me, writing a document in LaTeX -- a very good text processing application. However it is not the most modern of apps and needs fonts that have been prepared for it. I had a font I wanted to use, a fun one where each character is formed from figures like something out of Venician canival or dark fairy tales. It is called Bizzaro. So I wanted to know if anyone had already prepared this font to work with this text processing app...

And I Googled "bizzaro latex".

The defense rests.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:07 am

How could anyone think that "tap to click" is a good idea for a touchpad driver? Synaptics are f******* insane, "tap to click" is f****** insane. Also when I switch "tap to click" off, can it bloody stay off permanently and not magically re-engage?
MQTT Evangelist

Return to “Off topic discussion”