r3d4

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am

BlackberryTart wrote:What sucks is the fact that it's shown that venting makes you a worse person
:lol:

@BlackberryTart btw i think you should see your local phrenologist , you never know what you might learn from that .

---
'if you're not angry you're not paying attention'

'The peddling of lies:'.. blah blah - the Government
'George Carlin: I Don't Believe Anything the Government Tells Me.'
:roll:

PeterO

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:46 am

M$ fan-bois who think people on a Raspberry Pi forum are in terested in what they think about M$'s latest press release.

PetrerO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

r3d4

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:46 am

:lol: The success/demand for Pi , seams to have attracted many from the fringes of relevance seeking to bathe in it's lime light
However the lage majority app-ear to just be looking for knowledge beyond the M$ / apple shiny gui of the day

- + - + -
I have no doubt "State-Sponsored Malware" definitely sucks :oops:

https://www.eff.org/issues/state-sponsored-malware
Last edited by r3d4 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Real life is, to most , a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
what about spike milligan??

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 am

BlackberryTart wrote:What sucks is the fact that it's shown that venting makes you a worse person ...
It says nothing of the sort in the original published paper at: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10 ... .2012.0130
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Ravenous

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 am

DougieLawson wrote:It says nothing of the sort in the original published paper at: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10 ... .2012.0130
Good find!

In fact the online article Blackberry linked said:

"What’s unfortunate is the fact that these sites are, ironically, more likely to make you feel worse in the long term." (my emphasis)

The original paper appears much more cautious in its conclusions so "fact" might be a pretty dumb thing to say. Ah well, can't trust anything on the internet :)

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:34 am

That's one of my constant rants.

The reporting of published scientific papers in accredited journals by popular sites like the BBC, Gruaniad and HuffPost (and intensely unpopular sites like Daily Mail) is abysmal. Too many of the reports fail to include a direct link to the paper where they've found the item they're discussing. Too many of them get clueless journalists drawing incorrect conclusions ("Coffee causes cancer and will reduce the price of your house" © DailyFail). Too many of them publish unconfirmed conjecture (that needs further research) as "fact".
MQTT Evangelist

abishur

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:11 pm

r3d4 wrote:
BlackberryTart wrote:What sucks is the fact that it's shown that venting makes you a worse person

@BlackberryTart btw i think you should see your local phrenologist , you never know what you might learn from that .

---
'if you're not angry you're not paying attention'

'The peddling of lies:'.. blah blah - the Government
'George Carlin: I Don't Believe Anything the Government Tells Me.'
:roll:
ha ha, that always makes me think of Terry Pratchett's Retrophrenology
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

PeterO

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:23 pm

abishur wrote:
We are in "off topic arn't we ? Good.... I just read "Thud" :D :lol: PeterO
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

r3d4

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:25 pm

You can go into a shop in Ankh-Morpork and order an artistic temperament with a tendency to introspection. What you actually get is hit on the head with a large hammer, but it keeps the money in circulation and gives people something to do.
Perhaps not so far from the truth :P

---
Also i posted in haste the wrong link :oops: :oops: from the eff

I definitely have no doubt "ComputerCOP: The Dubious 'Internet Safety Software' That Hundreds of Police Agencies Have Distributed to Families" sucks

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/09/c ... e-agencies

"State-Sponsored Malware" probably sucks 2
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Real life is, to most , a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.

blachanc

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:That's one of my constant rants.

The reporting of published scientific papers in accredited journals by popular sites like the BBC, Gruaniad and HuffPost (and intensely unpopular sites like Daily Mail) is abysmal. Too many of the reports fail to include a direct link to the paper where they've found the item they're discussing. Too many of them get clueless journalists drawing incorrect conclusions ("Coffee causes cancer and will reduce the price of your house" © DailyFail). Too many of them publish unconfirmed conjecture (that needs further research) as "fact".
SO true...

and what amaze me on this is:

a lot of us had at some point, strong reactions when we saw journalist miss the point on a subject we know about in depths.

but, at the same time, a lot of us do not question what the journalist is saying when he talks about a topic we are clueless about.

"it is written in a newspaper, or seen on TV, then it must be true" syndrome

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

rpdom

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:34 pm

PeterO wrote:
abishur wrote:
We are in "off topic arn't we ? Good.... I just read "Thud" :D :lol: PeterO
This just reminded me that we weren't able to go to this year's Discworld Convention :(

riklaunim

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 pm

PeterO wrote:M$ fan-bois who think people on a Raspberry Pi forum are in terested in what they think about M$'s latest press release.
Well in some countries or schools (high education) in computer science Java and Microsoft technologies are very popular. In Poland we are trying to get Python in which isn't easy... and then you get threads about using MSSQL with Raspberry :)

PeterO

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

riklaunim wrote:
PeterO wrote:M$ fan-bois who think people on a Raspberry Pi forum are in terested in what they think about M$'s latest press release.
Well in some countries or schools (high education) in computer science Java and Microsoft technologies are very popular.
But you don't come to this forum to talk about them do you......
PeterO

blachanc

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Well,
In a off topic forum section where people remain polite, and MS haters just ignore the thread, why not ?

I would much better read what people I trust (based on what they posted on the PI forum) think about windows 10 than read an obscure paid reviewer's opinion.

shutting down a thread about a competitor product, that I understand...

Ben

r3d4

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 am

blachanc wrote:MS haters
Is pritty loaded term IMHO they more than deserve all the critique and contempt that get slung their way ( along with the banks , i hope some actualy are paying atention and not just plaing COD ect)

M$ have activly tryed to DISTROY things they 'dont link the look or sound of' or that they percived threatened their continued domination.

This IMHO is also a large part of the reason the raspberrypi foundation and product's & this forum! exist , because of the despairingly terrible standard set by you know who in the education (if you like ) 'market'

Instead of teaching a genaration to expand their knowledge they taught a genaration (or2) how corrupt,broken* monolithic big buisness* can be !
This is a lesson i dearly hope will not be forgotten any time soon :P

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 60#p615760

vivir la gnú
--edit--
*it might be foolish to exclude big (centralized) government from these observations .
Last edited by r3d4 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

aTao

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:34 am

r3d4 wrote:
You can go into a shop in Ankh-Morpork and order an artistic temperament with a tendency to introspection. What you actually get is hit on the head with a large hammer, but it keeps the money in circulation and gives people something to do.
Perhaps not so far from the truth :P
It is your socio-political duty to buy stuff. The Economy is God, without The Economy you will have no lights no health, no food, no caves even. Without Investment there will be no development. (Linux does not exist, open source is an illusion).

*looks around*
Err, did I enter the wrong room?

Seriously, all of the above is why I try* to work for board and lodgings only.

*some people insist on rewarding with cash, makes em feel better.
>)))'><'(((<

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:07 am

r3d4 wrote:
blachanc wrote:MS haters
Is pritty loaded term IMHO they more than deserve all the ridicule ,critique ,mockery and contempt that get slung their way ( along with the banks , i hope some actualy are paying atention and not just plaing COD ect)

M$ have activly tryed to DISTROY things they 'dont link the look or sound of' or that they percived threatened their continued domination.

This IMHO is also a large part of the reason the raspberrypi foundation and product's & this forum! exist , because of the despairingly terrible cretinous standard set by you know who in the education (if you like ) 'market'

Instead of teaching a genaration to expand their knowledge they taught a genaration (or2) how stupid,corrupt,broken* monolithic big buisness* can be !
This is a lesson i dearly hope will not be forgotten any time soon :P
Where will Microsoft try to drag you today?
Do you really want to go there?
- http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 60#p615760

F-M$

Code: Select all

format c:\
vivir la gnú
--edit--
*it might be foolish to exclude big (centralized) government from these observations .
What sucks? Posts that slag of MS software users, most of whom have no opportunity to use anything else.. You may not like MS or the way they do business, or even their software. But keep your opinions to yourself, because spouting them off only enrages others and starts a flame war. That's is not wanted here so don't do it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

r3d4

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 am

jamesh wrote: What sucks? Posts that slag of MS software users, most of whom have no opportunity to use anything else.. You may not like MS or the way they do business, or even their software. But keep your opinions to yourself, because spouting them off only enrages others and starts a flame war. That's is not wanted here so don't do it.
Ok noted , and it is not my intention to burn that flame .

And i do understand this place exist to 'fix the problem' (not the blame) ,..
and it is that far more constructive use of finite time / mortal coil , that brings this place all who sail within to being .

However i think the fact i can find and reffrence 'United States v. Microsoft Corp.' and other documents (outlineing this serious problem ) shows this goes a little above and beyond my opinions and observations,
anyway i will amend my post and remove what might be considered 'incendiary' remarks .

The 'linux is cancer' comments one exec made are just utterly tastless and a step to far.
IMHO enough disassociate and distance my self from such foolishness indefinitely.

Finaly use gnu/linux seek knowledge ,exercise eat well and live helthy .

blachanc

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:51 am

White Flag....

lets not talk about MS here anymore

"the venting thread" was fun to read some times ago, lets try to go back to that time.

Ben

DrDominodog51

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:06 am

Shell Script = Unix Executable
I NEED TO THROTTLE THE IDIOT THAT CAME UP WITH TWO FILE NAMES AND EXTENSIONS THAT DO THE EXACT SAME THING.

Jim JKla

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:35 am

People who either don't put at least a country in their profile or put some fictitious rubbish.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

elatllat

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:45 am

DrDominodog51 wrote:Shell Script = Unix Executable
I NEED TO THROTTLE THE IDIOT THAT CAME UP WITH TWO FILE NAMES AND EXTENSIONS THAT DO THE EXACT SAME THING.
Convention is that executables have no extension and most shell scripts are .sh ... Extensions are not that important when we have the file tool.

Code: Select all

file /usr/bin/which
/usr/bin/which: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

file "/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/37.0.2062.122/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Resources/install.sh"
/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/37.0.2062.122/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Resources/install.sh: Bourne-Again shell script text executable

hahaha mac flame
2160p + USB3 + Wayland: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

PeterO

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:11 am

Well that's wrong for a start.... Shell Script is not the same as an executable...
An example would help.
PeterO

BMS Doug

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:12 am

Jim JKla wrote:People who either don't put at least a country in their profile or put some fictitious rubbish.
Especially when they then ask for help sourcing components while refusing to reveal where they live...
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DougieLawson

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

Extensions are 100% irrelevant. We're not running Windows with its broken file associations crud. Unix determines the contents of a file with the magic bytes in the header. The file command reveals what linux thinks the contents of a file mean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_numb ... ramming%29

If you have a shell script named /usr/local/bin/foo and another named /usr/local/bin/foo.sh it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. You can have an executable called /usr/local/bin/bar or /usr/local/bin/bar.sh and again it's just an executable file.
MQTT Evangelist

Return to “Off topic discussion”