liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 am

It's beyond me - how on earth have so many people concluded that we're *selling* tomorrow when they've very clearly been told that they're just coming off the factory, pre-testing and pre-freight tomorrow (all being well)? I've had five emails in the last two hours asking what time tomorrow we start selling. I expect more. They're asking on Twitter, too.

I'm starting to think that something must have gone wrong with my usually sparklingly lucid prose when I explained what tomorrow's all about.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

spamel

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:06 am

Liz, you PROMISED that you would do all testing on the way back on Concorde, that you had especially put back into service to get you back to UK as quickly as possible, and that you would land on the roof of everybody that wants a Pi like some sort of Santa Claus, but slimmer and with less facial hair in order to deliver said Pi's whilst they are still warm!

Or did the plan change?!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:12 am

liz said:

It's beyond me – how on earth have so many people concluded that we're *selling* tomorrow ..

Its just the class of people some places employ as "journalists", they've very low attention thresholds and poor levels of comprehension.  They saw the "completion date" in the Corrections and clarifications blog post and latched onto it like a leech. And spread the word.

I fear that only personal visits from the Pirahna Brothers to the journos concerned would change the situation!

Edit: for spelin and clarity
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 am

Rather than ban folk, perhaps they could be restricted to 140 character posts and no thread creation.....

Now THAT'd suck!!!

meltwater

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 am

spamel said:

Liz, you PROMISED that you would do all testing on the way back on Concorde, that you had especially put back into service to get you back to UK as quickly as possible, and that you would land on the roof of everybody that wants a Pi like some sort of Santa Claus, but slimmer and with less facial hair in order to deliver said Pi's whilst they are still warm!

Or did the plan change?!

We should have a campaign to bring back Concorde!

Impressive that it came at a time when microcomputers were only just beginning.

I think it is just wishful thinking that people just expect them at the first date mentioned, simply because most don't think about what else will need to happen (and probably most of us don't know the half of it).  Good luck with it all!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Chromatix

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Knee depth snow: fun.

Knee depth snow on the pavement: not so fun.

Knee depth snow on the pavement between the bus stop and the office, on both sides of the road, which still hasn't been cleared by the afternoon: SUCKTACULAR.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

TheEponymousBob

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Chromatix said:

Knee depth snow on the pavement between the bus stop and the office, on both sides of the road, which still hasn't been cleared by the afternoon: SUCKTACULAR.

Suckier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl.....e-17088173

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

Chromatix said:

Suckier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl.....e-17088173

Its amazing what you can do in a Range Rover.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:23 pm

I am going to have George's (Cat 1) guts for garters and a restrung squash racket. He just climbed behind the bed looking for the cat treat bag (we have to hide them as George and Gizmo will cooperate (the only time they do) to take the bag into another room and help themselves.

George turned off the power to my laptop, netbook, nookcolor, ext hd, radio and about 5 other things while i was in the kitchen making bacon, pancakes and sausages. he must also have climbed all over the laptop also as the laptop went into hibernate and the keyboard stopped working and I had to reboot and now the ext. hd can't be found grrrrr.

i'm going to test the theory from QI that if you throw a cat out of the window from5th floor and below they will be ok and if you throw it out the window from above the 7th floor it'll be ok but the 6th floor is the magic one -- not really but he'd better stay under the futon for a while grrrr

julianrich

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm

No Backup???  that really SUCKS

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:32 pm

julianrich said:

No Backup???  that really SUCKS

plenty of backups this just they are scattered around the room on about 5 other hd's and a few pieces are offsite just it's a PITA to recreate the ext. hd and of course no spare ext. hd's of the right size. the ext. hd will probably come back if i do some cable fiddiling and reboot a few times but now i don't trust it

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 pm

ukscone said:

I am going to have George's (Cat 1) guts for garters and a restrung squash racket......

Why not just introduce George to a friendly (fiendly perhaps?) puppy who adores squeaky toys?  Just as a warning, you understand.  No blood this time....

julianrich

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm

No reason not to trust it if you find a solid reason for it playing dumb, of course it just might have decided to die they tend to do that when its most annoying.

Fresh catgut makes a really good self tightening cable tie

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh Lord. I probably shouldn"t, but there"s a walking advertisement for the Dunning-Kruger effect (or, failing that, the World"s Best Troll) on another forum I visit, who has just argued:

How does Spoke[sic] say it in Star Trek? Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I think he broke me.

riffraff

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:33 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Oh Lord. I probably shouldn"t, but there"s a walking advertisement for the Dunning-Kruger effect (or, failing that, the World"s Best Troll) on another forum I visit, who has just argued:

How does Spoke[sic] say it in Star Trek? Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I think he broke me.

That's why I'm so blessed to be an American, to live in a country where I (a man of less-than-average intelligence) can play Gulliver in a land of intellectual Lilliputians... a land where people like Sean Penn and our dear President are considered "enlightened".

Lynbarn

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am

TheEponymousBob said:

I think he broke me.

A lemon tree, my dear Watson

Talking of Start Trek: "Shakespeare is good in English, but you need to read him in the original Klingon ..."

spamel

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 pm

You suck, new keyboard that just turned up! If I wanted the space bar to do sound effects of a swimming pool diving board, I would have asked for one that did it!  Stinking.

JakeGrey

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Dunno if this is even off-topic, but good grief has the IT department at my local FE college gone to complete rack and ruin! I did my A+ Certification there in 2008, then moved away for a few years. I found myself back in the area early in the new year and thought, "they offer a massive discount for the unemployed, why don't I take my Network+ and maybe see if they have some programming courses?"

But no. The CompTIA stuff is gone. The government funding they used to get in return for also teaching some utterly worthless qualification called the Oracle iPro* alongside it has dried up, apparently. And yet they can still afford to run classes in Flash or Dreamweaver, and some Microsoft Office qualifications that the government has apparently made up because Microsoft's own certifications were invented somewhere else?

Well, distance learning it is, then. Not that much more expensive in the long run anyway seeing as the bus fare to get there is now almost £4.50.

* The top search result for said "qualification", incidentally, is a rather younger me complaining about what a complete waste of time and effort it was on The Daily WTF's forums.

spamel

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Keyboard has been "modified"!  I removed the space bar, stretched the springs and put it back together!  I now have to welly the spacebar, good and strong!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 am

<RANT>

This @#$$^#$^!#@!!!%&@%#& P.O.S. laptop is a $&%##^##@!@#$! P.O.S.!!!!! I have just spent 3 weeks working on a project and the one piece of hardware I need to be working has suddenly failed. The $%&$&$&$@@@ builtin webcam is now completely dead and i was preparing to do a couple of final test runs before packaging up the app and sending it off and now I have to spend the next few hours trying to get it working again before I can even think about any testruns and the app was written for the specific hardware so if i can't get it working i'll have to modify the program. oh and btw opencv and python sucks chunks

</RANT>

riffraff

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:38 am

What sucks?

Detailed piece-of-cake instructions on how to remove your car's transmission pan to replace fluid and filter that conveniently fail to mention you have to remove a frame member and an engine support bracket to even get at it. Would have been easier  to rent a lift and remove the entire engine and transaxle. >(

Edit: Forgive me, I forgot where I was "piece-of-cake" should have been "easy-as-pi"

riffraff

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:07 am

What sucks?

Missing my all time favorite keyboard and mouse combo. I understand it's more healthy to forgive and forget, but I can't seem to let this go.

Over the years I'd collected two items that stayed with me regardless of upgrades I did on my systems. An early small footprint Magitronic keyboard and a Logitech Kidz Mouse.

The keyboard was a narrow but deep arrangement that was only the width of the qwerty and numeric blocks of the keyboard with all function and cursor keys above the top row.

The Kidz Mouse actually looked like a mouse, it was teardrop shaped, with two aqua buttons for ears and a "tail" cord that wrapped around from the butt and trailed off to the side. It was the perfect mouse for a lefty with no desire to swap left and right buttons and had a tiny ball that lent itself to precise control and never picked up rubbish.

I had them hooked up to an old Windows box in the kitchen that we used for email and shoutcast. I came home one afternoon to find furniture rearranged, and I was informed that "that old computer" and it's desk had been sent to the garage.  I found it there, computer still in place on the desk, but both keyboard and mouse lying face down, on the concrete, stepped on by some careless ape, with their little guts scattered everywhere. >/

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:21 am

riFFraFF said:

What sucks?

Missing my all time favorite keyboard and mouse combo. I understand it's more healthy to forgive and forget, but I can't seem to let this go.

Over the years I'd collected two items that stayed with me regardless of upgrades I did on my systems. An early small footprint Magitronic keyboard and a Logitech Kidz Mouse.

The keyboard was a narrow but deep arrangement that was only the width of the qwerty and numeric blocks of the keyboard with all function and cursor keys above the top row.

The Kidz Mouse actually looked like a mouse, it was teardrop shaped, with two aqua buttons for ears and a "tail" cord that wrapped around from the butt and trailed off to the side. It was the perfect mouse for a lefty with no desire to swap left and right buttons and had a tiny ball that lent itself to precise control and never picked up rubbish.

I had them hooked up to an old Windows box in the kitchen that we used for email and shoutcast. I came home one afternoon to find furniture rearranged, and I was informed that "that old computer" and it's desk had been sent to the garage.  I found it there, computer still in place on the desk, but both keyboard and mouse lying face down, on the concrete, stepped on by some careless ape, with their little guts scattered everywhere. >/

i feel your loss. We will now have a moment of silence to remember riFFraFF's mouse and keyboard

spamel

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:40 am

That careless lack of respect is what I have to contend with all the time, I think I hav had tent equipment binned which leaves me just the skin of the tent, not much use on its own!

scep

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 am

spamel said:

That careless lack of respect is what I have to contend with all the time, I think I hav had tent equipment binned which leaves me just the skin of the tent, not much use on its own!

Return to “Off topic discussion”