spamel

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Looks like the start of one of those "Dear special friend, I recently came into a large sum of money after a whole family died in a skiing accident and would like to share it with you.  All I need is a 20 thousand pound release fee and a large monkey with some ice cream, blah blah blah....." type letters!

robleady

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:47 am

liz said:

I may have mentioned that some of the email I get makes me feel a bit like screaming. I thought you would enjoy an example that just arrived. (Not, by any means, the first of these that I've had today.) The pertinent thing is that in order to have found my address, this guy (name redacted) must have had to do at least a minimal amount of digging through the website, and will have read something on the contact page telling him to check the FAQ first.

Given that so many new people around here, seem incapable of reading, and that the Foundation's goal is to aid education, how about [not] announcing the start of sales with a subtle entry at the bottom of the FAQ or at the end of the "Read before posting..." thread...??  ;-)

Cheers,

Rob

Andre_P

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am

Hmm bugger, the merge I've been helping with has found a bug in the regression testing.

HOOOOORAAAYYY the Regression Testing WORKS !

(Yes I know that's a bit weird, bugger there is a bug, Hooray it's been found ! )

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am

It took me the best part of twenty years to train myself to be happy when Test found a bug.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:20 am

Whats bugging me this morning?

Its the cull of threads that the Admins locked yesterday.  While they deserved to be locked and thus allowed to drop slowly to the abyssal mulch of lost causes, they ought really to have a place of their own so they can be paraded as examples of what does NOT need to be asked again, and again and AGAIN.

What is needed is a forum where no new threads can be created, but locked threads can be transferred to by the admins, thus forming a useful index of What Not To Ask, as well as clearing the main forums of a lot of dross.

It could be called "Lost Causes" 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

meltwater

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 am

Either way no one would read them and still continue to post...

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:19 am

I'll tell you what sucks.

Triskaidekaphobia

At least its not a Friday too!

6+5.  Just to be awkward... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

pauldow

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:20 pm

What sucks is the font that's used on computers where the lower case "L" is exactly the same as the upper case "I". All those t.co links seem to have them, and I always choose the wrong one.

riffraff

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 am

This sucks:

In the Bedroom: My wife has pleurisy and something wonky with her knee. Doc has her loaded with Prednisone and Vicodin and the poor girl is howling like a wounded cat.

In the Living Room: My sister-in-laws new beau is visiting, with all of his bluster and cornpone sense of humor.

So I have my choice - cheese or whine :-/

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 pm

I am VERY sorry about your wife's knee and lung. Mostly about the lung. It makes what I'm about to say pale into utter insignificance. If it's any consolation, you are lucky to live in a country where Vicodin is a thing they will actually prescribe. I hear it's fabulous.

My iTunes was skipping. I just went to have a look to see what might be causing it, and found a single instance of Flash running in a browser, using 1.16GB of RAM.

I have had two emails today asking why we don't support Flash. I doubt you fellas are reading these forums, but if you are, THAT'S WHY.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:14 am

liz said:

you are lucky to live in a country where Vicodin is a thing they will actually prescribe. I hear it's fabulous.

according to the better half it is (she just refilled her prescription for it) I just got queasy and elevated liver enzymes when they tried me on it a couple of weeks ago.

My iTunes was skipping.

yuk Liz has Apple cooties

/me hides the UPS delivery that arrived while I was out grocery shopping and falling up the escalator (don't ask) as it contains some Apple hardware a friend sent me for crashing his companies website for him (with permission of course)

dognosh

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm

what sucks for me ? still too wet , salty and cold to take bike out of hibernation(am in UK).

what sucks for you ? when I do get out on it, I will be out and about on a 401 bhp hyperbike !!!

long live RPi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm

my equillibriam is shot.

fell down the stairs, fell 3 times in the street getting dizzy standing on the curb and fell up the stairs.

Andre_P

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Today has inspired a deep need to give a group of people a damn good hard slapping with a very large wet fish and potentially a suggestion to any passing alien species as to where they may start with their anal probes.

That is all.

riffraff

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 am

@liz

Thanks for concern. She's feeling better... not sure if it's only the pain killers yet.

RE: Flash

1.16 GIGABYTES!!! <wish I could insert audio clip of Doc Brown from Back to the Future here> but that's a prime example of the kind of bloated code that has evolved from primordial goo of fast CPU's and cheap RAM... something I'd like to see gone in the revolution.

@ukscone

Curious if elevated liver enzymes is a response to the acetaminophen. You know they make Vicoprofen, that might be an option in your case. Although I do believe we need to construct a giant hamster ball to protect you from yourself.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 am

riFFraFF said:

@liz

Thanks for concern. She's feeling better... not sure if it's only the pain killers yet.

@ukscone

Curious if elevated liver enzymes is a response to the acetaminophen. You know they make Vicoprofen, that might be an option in your case. Although I do believe we need to construct a giant hamster ball to protect you from yourself.

Glad your better half is feeling better.

I think i should order a few hundred yards of bubble wrap and get myself taped up in it. Honestly i am not really that accident prone although it must seem like it. I went 22years without even getting a cold but the day i hit 40 I started falling to pieces and seem to get attacked by walls, doors, trees & lampposts on a regular basis

williamhbell

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi,

Back in the good old days (rose tinted glasses required) we wrote analysis packages in FORTRAN77.  They compiled down to very good machine code which ran very quickly.  Now we are stuck with badly written over-bloated C++ code, which is dominated by I/O (strcmp and unzip) or string comparison (strcmp).  In both cases the programs could be speeded up significantly with an integer lookup table and binary input files.  Too many people are used to bad software.

Regards,

Will

spamel

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 am

Hello, Sean Penn? Oh, you already know? Well, no harm in telling you again...

YOU SUCK!

riffraff

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 am

ukscone said:

I think i should order a few hundred yards of bubble wrap and get myself taped up in it. Honestly i am not really that accident prone although it must seem like it. I went 22years without even getting a cold but the day i hit 40 I started falling to pieces and seem to get attacked by walls, doors, trees & lampposts on a regular basis
Yeah. I hear ya. Some days I wonder if we aren't built like Lexmark printer cartridges. So many shots and you just quit working. 45 was my magic number. +3 yrs and I just struggle to make it through the work day.

My manager assures me it would be far worse for me if I had a sedentary job. I'll take his word, he's got a couple of years on me. Bad days require a "red white and blue", neither I or my liver recommend it: 3 ibuprofen + 2 aspirin + 2 naproxen sodium.

Have you considered a "Sumo Suit"?

riffraff

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:48 am

@spamel

+1

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:40 pm

tomorrow is the 20th and in theory at least some of the boards have been made so for the next few days I am expecting that the mods are going to be spending their time closing threads asking "when will they be on sale", "is the mailing list working", "why aren't they in the store", "can i preorder one", "why can't i have one immediatly" and so on and this is just the start just wait until they sell out in 2h40m15s and all the people who missed out come here. to complain and rant.

i will try to be around as much as possible with my mod hat on for the next few weeks but there is only so much espresso and no doz in the world and i will need to sleep occasionally. should we setup a rota?

spamel

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Just ban everybody for a month!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 pm

spamel said:

that was going to be my solution too but liz won't let us mean spoilsport

Lynbarn

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

ukscone said:

spamel said:

Well, that is a bit mean – a whole month? …

Just take a deep breath, count to ten, and repeat after me:

THERE WILL BE NO PI TOMORROW

THERE IS NO PRE-ORDER FACILITY

THE TIME AND DATE OF SALE WILL BE RELEASED ONLY WHEN THE FOUNDATION IS READY TO RELEASE IT

THE FIRST NOTIFICATION OF WHEN, WHERE AND HOW WILL BE FROM THE MAILING LIST

spamel

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:49 pm

ukscone said:

spamel said:

I like your style, an autocratic form of command that will get you far!

Return to “Off topic discussion”