ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:46 pm

i actually blame liz. she has had an ongoing cold for months now (probably stress related as we really are annoying stressful wotsits) I bet she willed her germs on me.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Jongoleur said:

And some honey and cider vinegar to sip. 

Add a few cc of fresh root ginger to that.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 pm

ukscone said:

i actually blame liz. she has had an ongoing cold for months now (probably stress related as we really are annoying stressful wotsits) I bet she willed her germs on me.

*nods*

That seems fair.

Its a walrus - there's a lot of it about.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Chromatix

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Good news: I found my old Hitachi mono video monitor.  It has a composite input and should be nicely representative of bog-standard TV resolving power.  It's so small that it consumes less power than my big LCD monitors.  And it still works, despite it's last electric safety certificate reading August 1984 - it can't have been anywhere near new even then!

Bad news: it has a very weird input connector.  I remember borrowing the adapter that fitted it during my amateur radio days.  I'm fairly sure that it's still attached to my good 2-metre antenna.  Just one small problem - I CAN'T FIND A FIVE FOOT LONG ANTENNA!

I seriously need to tidy up in here.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Luny

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Does it have a DIN type socket. I had a Hitachi TV with RGB analogue input in teh back. I matched a DIN so I just made my own. Had the Archimedes running on it for awhile.
Luny

Chromatix

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Nope, this is a professional-grade HF socket with a screw coupling - basically a couple of steps up from a BNC.  About an inch wide with wicked-looking serrated edges.  Can't remember the name of it offhand but it does have one.

Found the antenna eventually, where the removals men had conveniently taped it to the back of some shelf struts.  No cable, no adapter - I assume it still exists, but no idea where any more.  Tore apart a known-bad cable with an RCA at one end as a temporary solution.  Found that my test machine was going to require some serious coaxing (haha) to convince it to output anything on the analogue output.  Dug out BBC Micro - has BNC socket for composite video, not RCA - why?  Dug out Spectrum +3 - has no composite output, only UHF.

Now looking for correct adapter for more modern computer.  I'm not entirely sure that the 12-year-old Apple one I found is suitable for a PC video card, and it also looks suspiciously ratty for a cable that's never been used.

While tearing apart the spare room, found a lot of things that I'd previously been looking for (colorimeter, TrackIR, old Airport UFO, and my one good working 5.25" floppy drive) - directly underneath where the little old CRT had been.  No wonder I couldn't find them.

Eventually found original cable I was looking for, in a completely different box at the opposite end of the flat to the rest of my radio gear.  It changes BNC into the big socket, not RCA - time to dig out the Beeb again.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm fairly sure that it's still attached to my good 2-metre antenna…

…a screw coupling – basically a couple of steps up from a BNC.  About an inch wide with wicked-looking serrated edges.

Sounds like a PL259. Easily available from any ham or CB supplier.

(The socket is an SO239. They have different numbers.)

Jongoleur

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Chromatix said:

Good news: I found my old Hitachi mono video monitor.  It has a composite input and should be nicely representative of bog-standard TV resolving power.  It's so small that it consumes less power than my big LCD monitors.  And it still works, despite it's last electric safety certificate reading August 1984 - it can't have been anywhere near new even then!

Bad news: it has a very weird input connector.  I remember borrowing the adapter that fitted it during my amateur radio days.  I'm fairly sure that it's still attached to my good 2-metre antenna.  Just one small problem - I CAN'T FIND A FIVE FOOT LONG ANTENNA!

I seriously need to tidy up in here.

I've a Sanyo VCT 5000 Betamax recorder, and that has a BCN connector on the back for composite input.  I know you said your Hitachi had the bigger version, but even BNC is more pro than RCA.... 

Anyhow, I used to connect my C64 to the Sanyo via that to record opening captions onto tapes before I used them.

(For some reason, I always manage to transpose BNC to BCN which is the acronym for Birmingham Canal Navigations)

10+3  Is this sum generator out to get me?

Chromatix

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm

That certainly sounds familiar.

Anyway, the verdict is in:

- Using 256 lines per field thoroughly fills the visible area vertically.  So much so that any vertical misalignment will result in part or all of the first or last line or text disappearing behind the surround.  My Beeb and this monitor are about 20 scanlines misaligned, so no *TV command completely fixes it.  Using 240 lines per field would be more sensible.

- I can't test whether the interlaced doubling would be resolvable because the Beeb can't (easily) generate such a signal.  I could probably hack it using the VBI and a palette change in theory.

- 320 dots per row is completely resolvable.  640 dots per row isn't, but a bold 8-pixel wide font is still perfectly readable, and thin lines (in either normal or reverse video) every 4 or even 3 pixels still show clearly.

- I'm going to need to do some more shopping if I want to use this monitor with the R-Pi.

Jongoleur

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

rurwin said:

Sounds like a PL259. Easily available from any ham or CB supplier.

(The socket is an SO239. They have different numbers.)

Oh THOSE....  I remember them, the aerial connection on my old CB unit (Hello late 70s!!!) had them.  Wasn't CB a dreadful fad?  *g*

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 pm

I have just had email from a well-meaning reader telling me that if I propose going to China to bring the boards up, I should be aware that I will need a visa.

DO YOU BLOODY THINK? At least the guy telling me I should be sure to book freight space for the boards (he was sure we hadn't thought of it) was commenting rather than emailing me personally. What on earth do these people think I busy myself doing all day?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 pm

liz said:
I have just had email from a well-meaning reader telling me that if I propose going to China to bring the boards up, I should be aware that I will need a visa.

DO YOU BLOODY THINK? At least the guy telling me I should be sure to book freight space for the boards (he was sure we hadn"t thought of it) was commenting rather than emailing me personally. What on earth do these people think I busy myself doing all day?

You may need to buy a plane ticket too. Several, if other people are travelling with you. Hope this helps.

Jessie

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Here is a question?  What country lets you in anymore without proper paperwork?

I can't even go to Canada without a passport anymore.

Its hard to beleave that people say such dumb things, some people just don't think before they talk, but I think some are just genuine idiots.  Since I have been moderating here whenever there is an anoying, stupid, or just something that has been asked to death I have been logging usernames and ip numbers that go with these posts.  I thought possibly someone was making a buch of accounts and asking redundant or inane questions over and over just to mess with us.  My conclusion so far is that there are in fact many unique inqisitive numbskulls out there.  Nothing has matched yet.

liz

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 pm

I do that too, and have come to the same conclusion.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

liz said:

DO YOU BLOODY THINK? At least the guy telling me I should be sure to book freight space for the boards (he was sure we hadn"t thought of it) was commenting rather than emailing me personally. What on earth do these people think I busy myself doing all day?

You may need to buy a plane ticket too. Several, if other people are travelling with you. Hope this helps.

Warning: Impending mother in law joke. Do not rot13 if you are easily offended by Mother in Law jokes or happen to be a mother in law.

V gubhtug fur jnf tbvat gb obeebj ure zbgure va ynj'f oebbzfgvpx

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 pm

liz said:

What on earth do these people think I busy myself doing all day?

Play Skyrim and drink wine while chuckling gleefully at these naive people who think you are working on the Raspberry Pi 24/7/365

TheEponymousBob

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 am

Rot13: what a bloody marvellous idea for a beginners" programming project!

liz

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 am

ROT13: if you had been here at Raspberry Towers earlier this evening, you would have seen Eben prancing around with an ostrich-feather duster, collecting cobwebs.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 am

liz said:

ROT13: if you had been here at Raspberry Towers earlier this evening, you would have seen Eben prancing around with an ostrich-feather duster, collecting cobwebs.

did he have a frilly pinny on too? now we know what the "secret" ingredient is in the Raspberry Pi.

Raspberry Pi made with genuine Raspberry Tower's spider silk

Chromatix

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Rot13: what a bloody marvellous idea for a beginners" programming project!

You might be amused/appalled (delete as applicable) to learn that one of the lab activities in third-year university was a Caesar cipher, a close cousin of ROT13.  At this point we were just switching from Java (as used earlier in the course) to C/C++ which would be used for more serious concepts.  Caesar was effectively just a shakedown cruise to make sure we could write, compile and run a simple program in the new environment.

I wrote the central code in about 5 minutes, then turned to my lab partner and asked him to describe how it worked.  Bear in mind that Java, which we had supposedly been using every week for the past two years, has many syntactic similarities to C.  Most of the code I had just written was probably legal Java.

He hadn't the foggiest.

johnbeetem

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:10 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Rot13: what a bloody marvellous idea for a beginners' programming project!

It's also a great example of how a reasonable knowledge of Unix commands can help you avoid programming entirely:

tr a-mn-zA-MN-Z n-za-mN-ZA-M

"The art of programming without programming."

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I have to go out and put a cheque in the bank for the wife today and i just went to get the cheque from her bedside table and George & Gizmo have chewed the corners and it's all covered in cat spit

YUK!!!!

nick.mccloud

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm

liz said:

What on earth do these people think I busy myself doing all day?

It would make a good blog post - perhaps a sketch of a whole week. And include the rest of the team too.

Don't forget to put your fingers on the keyboard before you start typing.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! say it ain't so.

I woke up this morning and rather than having the 50 emails or so i get over night (not counting spam) I had 3

after a few minutes I have just worked out why

one of my hosted mail servers is down as is my dyndns service.

as both the mail server and website are down i can't even email to find out what's up

liz

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 pm

I may have mentioned that some of the email I get makes me feel a bit like screaming. I thought you would enjoy an example that just arrived. (Not, by any means, the first of these that I've had today.) The pertinent thing is that in order to have found my address, this guy (name redacted) must have had to do at least a minimal amount of digging through the website, and will have read something on the contact page telling him to check the FAQ first.

Hello, I have seen your computer into a news page and would like to learn more about it. It ARM 700MHz and 256MB of RAM, operating system used and have a hard drive / SD memory?

What versions of Linux can run? When will it be released?

Return to “Off topic discussion”