Chromatix

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:07 pm

liz said:

Keyboard problems: I spilled a cup of coffee into my reconditioned IBM model M last year. The model M is supposed to be tolerant of being put through the dishwasher, but it's never worked since, despite careful attention with a hair-dryer and lots of cursing.

I loved that keyboard.

You've probably fried the controller board, but the keymatrix and mechanicals - the bits that make it great - should still be intact.  Why not make a new controller board for it - one with USB support?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Luny

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:39 pm

hoo hoo, this post reminded me I still have an old AT in my loft. sadly it has a key missing, but I'm sure I could find an old broken one and do a repair.

I've been looking up USB conversion howtos... Hmm, might go retro
Luny

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 pm

spamel said:

What is it with the model M keyboards? Why are they so revered?

Fantastic clicky key action where you can actually feel the resistance for each key press (great for RSI sufferers - it's called the "buckling spring" mechanism, and it is hands-down the most comfortable thing to type on I've ever used); letters and numbers not just printed on but written *through* the keys, so nothing ever wears off; solid metal framework, so it feels *amazingly* solid; swappable keycaps; and, as Scone notes, it is heavy enough to brain any passing burglar with.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

nichobb

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm

I got a computer (well bits still putting together) and it came with a keyboard of dubious quality, a ps/2 plug, sound connectors for skype and is windows xp compatible Also it"s not got the build quality to take out a burglar.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products.....kype-ready

There"s a line in the fantastic book "kitchen confidential" where he says something along the lines of, if there is any doubt about which would come out better between your pans and a burglars head, you need new pans.

edit: sucky bit of day is computer bits should be working, just turns on leds come on with fans then shuts down

boarsblood

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 pm

liz said:

Keyboard problems: I spilled a cup of coffee into my reconditioned IBM model M last year. The model M is supposed to be tolerant of being put through the dishwasher, but it's never worked since, despite careful attention with a hair-dryer and lots of cursing.

I loved that keyboard.

It's a shame you don't know anyone who's good with electronics and could fix it.

The keyboard on my old ITT 2020 only works when it's not in the case. Never could find that cracked track, it works perfectly until I tighten the case screws.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:14 pm

boarsblood said:

liz said:

I loved that keyboard.

It's a shame you don't know anyone who's good with electronics and could fix it.

@liz I'll hold him down while you beat him to within an inch of his life with the currently non-working Model M keyboard. You never know it might just knock things back into place and fix it

scep

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 am

Facebook "Like" buttons on every single thing on the goddamn Web SUCKS! I can say with some certainty that I will never, ever feel the need to "Like" one of Screwfix's double extension ladders and nor do I wish to recommend some welding rods to my "friends" (neither of them have a welder).

N.B. This plague has now been wiped out with the "antisocial" list for Adblock. Hurrah!

Andre_P

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:31 am

Not necessarily sucky, in fact quite touching, but having a disturbed sleep because Rosie puss climbing on the bed and with a single claw tapping me on the nose requesting fuss and attention with heavy purring.

Re Keyboard : Nothing has really got any better since the RML380Z keyboard in my humble opinion

spamel

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:58 pm

This snow already sucks, because prepayment gas meters have a battery in them and they die in the cold. And I am on callout starting this evening so I am gonna be busy. Just took my manometer out of the van as it was frozen solid!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 pm

*mutter* *whine* ggrrrrrrrr b*****y hell life is sucky.

I just got my result for the quiz on news channel 4 they do every saturday morning. i'd been doing quite well for the last few weeks and was in the top 10 a couple of time but mostly in the top 100 (out of 4 to 5 thousand) but this week with the subject being the superbowl I was 1966th

I have been feeling a bit better for the last couple of days but i just sneezed and threw my back out & the whole of my left side is seizing so i'm now lying on the floor in the hall way as i can't lie beside the bed because the wife left all her wool, yarn and crochet hooks on my side of the bed last night.

The doorbell just rang and it was USPS delivering my emergency food parcel from the UK (sweets, biscuits, mustard... got an email fromt he sender saying they "forgot" to put twiglets in the box "forgot" is their code word for "i was feeling peckish so I ate them") but by the time i crawled down 3 flights of stairs they had left and put a sticker on the door saying I could pick it up from the post office 7 blocks away on monday).

my nookcolor charging cable is dead and I can't get to barnes and nobles until monday or tuesday to get a new one and all the DTB's are packed away in boxes in the cat's room and as everyone is still asleep so I can't get help to go and get me one.

my buildroot VM is corrupted

AND where the hell is my snow????? come on mother nature I was good all year so i want MY snow!!!!!!!!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 pm

I had icicles on my wingmirrors today, but there's been no snow here either.....

That doesen't suck as much as the sheet ice we'll have if it drops below freezing tonight!

4+9  It figures.......
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Jongoleur said:

I had icicles on my wingmirrors today, but there's been no snow here either.....

That doesen't suck as much as the sheet ice we'll have if it drops below freezing tonight!

we had a great ice sheet in brooklyn around 1995.

every weekend from the beginning of february to the end of march we had a snow storm and it never got above freezing during the week so by the end of march we had about 6 feet of ice on the sidewalks on the side streets. it was great fun having to scale it when moving from the main roads to the side streets.

actually this should be moved  to a "life WAS good" thread

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:09 pm

UGH UGH UGH!!!! after trying 7 different usb webcams I still haven't found one that will work in virtualbox and i need one that will kind of urgently as I don't have a spare linux computer for dev for this project and opencv and python on windows is sucky

joorava

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am

liz said:

Keyboard problems: I spilled a cup of coffee into my reconditioned IBM model M last year.

Dismantle it, take out the circuit board, wash well with unscented dish soap. Use pure water and a soft toothbrush to wash the circuit board. Use a blowdrier (preferably with as little heat as possible) to blow dry. Put a few leftover silica packets (used to keep moisture out of parts when shipping) near the chips, to make sure the chips are really dry. Reassemble the next day.

If the circuit board is shot, get a Teensy (pjrc.com/teensy, costs $16 to $24) or a Minimus AVR USB (ck3.co.uk/minimus-avr-usb-development-board.html, £4.95) and wire the keyboard matrix to it's I/O pins, bypassing the circuit board. The larger Teensy++ would be easier to use, since it has 46 I/O pins; on the smaller one and the Minimus you'll need to arrange the connections to a 10x11 matrix. Expect to Dremel out the unnecessary traces and maybe parts of the circuit board. Scanning and debounce will be done on the AVR. All are obviously small enough to fit inside the keyboard chassis, and they all have a native USB interface. Writing a simple keyboard HID firmware is an exercise in C using gcc-avr. After the thing works, add a couple of layers of waterproof coating to the insides to protect against future spills.

Keyboards suck. I still haven't found one I really like, and I have to dismantle and wash their insides once or twice each year to keep them working at peak condition.

I wish I knew somebody who could etch/pattern some indium tin oxide conductors on clear acrylic for me, so I could build myself a transparent keyboard based on mutual capacitance. (Touch is not enough, I need to detect changes in proximity; I want to be able to rest my hands on it while I'm typing. A microphone takes care of detecting actual taps.)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 am

Keyboards suck.

Got that right. The best keyboard I ever used was at university on a dumb VDU. It had about 1mm of  travel without any click effect. The second best was the Nascom II inductance keyboard; more travel but no click.  Since then all I can find are the horrible membrane keyboards with masses of travel and a horrible clunk as the membrane bubbles invert.

There are a few advertised as using gold sprung contacts, but I'm loath to spend the best part of £100 or more to get a keyboard I don't like. Especially one with lights and whistles that just make it look ugly.

And black is a STUPID colour for a keyboard.

Luny

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:00 pm

I've been trying to put together a simple Android game or two. But I just can't get going. I used to be able to bash out a simple arcade game in days, many moons ago. But lately I just can't get get going.

<Dramatic pose, waving fist to the skies>Damn you, don't let it be my enthusiasm fading.

Maybe it's just my age, maybe spending 8 hours a day coding is doing it. Maybe I need a new hobby for at home...

Sob! It sucks!
Luny

riffraff

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 am

@ukscone
We had the sheet ice in spades this time last year. Our back deck had a 2 inch thick slab of milky white ice that took a couple of weeks to melt. Looked about like a gigantic corian butcher"s block.

riffraff

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 am

@rurwin
Where did you find Darth Vader"s keyboard?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:41 am

@riFFraFF

It's a Saitek Cyborg

meltwater

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 am

Luny said:

I've been trying to put together a simple Android game or two. But I just can't get going. I used to be able to bash out a simple arcade game in days, many moons ago. But lately I just can't get get going.

<Dramatic pose, waving fist to the skies>Damn you, don't let it be my enthusiasm fading.

Maybe it's just my age, maybe spending 8 hours a day coding is doing it. Maybe I need a new hobby for at home...

Sob! It sucks!

Basically it is because Android is a pig to get started with!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm

blurgh woke up with the sniffles today and the tissues are all the other side of the bed and it's soooooooooo far away.

i'm feeling poorly can someone come and get the tissues for me and make me a cup of tea?????

/me does the puppy dog eyes and looks all pitiful

Luny

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:00 pm

meltwater said:

Basically it is because Android is a pig to get started with!

He he, it's not that bad, surely. I've got a basic template for putting arcades together, so that bit is out of the way. but I must admit, I was quicker with SDL on the PC.
Luny

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:16 pm

ukscone said:

blurgh woke up with the sniffles today and the tissues are all the other side of the bed and it's soooooooooo far away.

i'm feeling poorly can someone come and get the tissues for me and make me a cup of tea?????

Dunno about the tea and sympathy, poorly puppies get to go the vets here, and the one I take my pups to is quick with the rubber gloves and the rectal thermometer.

Want to reconsider? 

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Jongoleur said:

ukscone said:

Dunno about the tea and sympathy, poorly puppies get to go the vets here, and the one I take my pups to is quick with the rubber gloves and the rectal thermometer.

Want to reconsider? 

will they at least buy me dinner first? i don't put out on the first date either

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 pm

ukscone said:

will they at least buy me dinner first? i don't put out on the first date either

'fraid not.  Anything you manage to choke down after a night in "observation" would probably go on the bill.  And frankly you wouldn't want too much "input", if you see what I mean!

*very evil grin*

Here's some Tea Tree oil and some tissues.  That ought to sort out the snuffles. And some honey and cider vinegar to sip. 

Return to “Off topic discussion”