Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: The Final Countdown

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:43 am

I'm going to make myself very unpopular, but heck, I'm posting in Off Topic, so here goes...

Here we are, 8th November and there's probably (best case) 28 days to launch. Now isn't the time or place to discuss desired enhancements, how many of the little beasties I'd like to buy or actually WHEN they're going to be released.

However, I'm going to plead from a little self-restraint and for the community to pull back from the pants-wetting hysteria we're getting ourselves into!

In days of old, when budget day approached, the Chancellor of the Exchequer would "go intop purdah" for several weeks before the day, to damp down on semi-official speculation about tax and revenue increases. Of course, with "freedom of information" and self important leakers, its impossible to take such an approach nowadays, at least where the government is concerned.

However, (damn - used it again at the start of a paragraph). However, I say, perhaps its something we could observe, a little bit, and reduce the screaming, crying pre-launch excitement?

Oh bugger. Where are my ear defenders???

8-)

On another topic, I see that raspberrypi.com is back, with a novel (at time of writing) menu of purchasing options. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Chris

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 am

abishur

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:31 pm

I keep reading the post, but I'm missing your point. Could you please restate your point without the pomp and circumstance?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Skygod

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Same Same Me! (sorry thaiglish phrase)

I just see healthy discussion about how to use the RPi in the real world and discussion about how fuctioanality 'x' would help them.

Yes; it is exciting to know that the launch is imminent, but forum discussions seem to be about where the project goes and what should be considered for the future (i.e. development) and I believe that these discussions are all valid.

(Are there a number of threads / posts that the mods are 'killing' as I'm not seeing a "pants wetting" hysteria!)

abishur

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Quote from Skygod on November 8, 2011, 14:46
(Are there a number of threads / posts that the mods are 'killing' as I'm not seeing a "pants wetting" hysteria!)

Actually, almost every thread we kill is because someone is saying "Hey I just thought that idea X would be an awesome way to use the device" and we respond "Yes, all these people thought so too, why not talk to them on the existing thread?" :P

Jongoleur

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Hey abishur, you can lock this thread off if you want. :-)

Its genesis was just a concatenation of

My first glance through the site this morning
Nil coffee intake
Thinking about all the "How about 'X'" and "I want to order ten gazzillion units" posts
All the generic babble

Now, I'll admit I contribute to the generic babble too, so I'll enter a mea culpa plea, and I might have been a bit over dramatic about the excitable ("pants-wetting, screaming") posts that occasionally crop up.

And I DID post under "Off Topic".

Never mind, its good to see this much enthusiasm about a marvellous little piece of kit.

Perhaps we could be enthusiastic a bit more quietly?

:-)

abishur

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Oh I don't want to lock it, I really was interested in figuring out what your point was :)

Lakes

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:50 pm

If there was an (imaginary) PI shop, would you be camping outside overnight like the apple fans on release date? :)

Montekuri

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Quote from Lakes on November 8, 2011, 17:50
If there was an (imaginary) PI shop, would you be camping outside overnight like the apple fans on release date? :)
Oh, I just remembered a video about PS3 selling opening day, in 2006:

abishur

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 pm

I always wish that I could afford to spend 500 bucks just to be a jerk :(

Oh well, if I had to take wealth or the ability to make the distinction between being funny and just coming off as a rich brat I guess I'm happy with being able to tell when I'm not that funny (like right now :P )

obarthelemy

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:47 pm

I wouldn't queue, I am allergic to queuing. Even when it's more of a French-style pile than an English-style line. No pile, no line, no queue.

Bacan

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm

obarthelemy - How about a Linked-List ? :-)

Maybe, Order Bidding based upon the R-Pi serial number desired? Vanity IP addresses will become all the rage. Can see it now, New Industry: Hackers, Modding boards so Rock-Stars and Starlets get the board address they feel they must have. Who is best for: 1 BE 666 ( Devil ) or maybe the address decodes to an ASCII message?

[edit - added y to your name. Please forgive my mistype. ]

Jessie

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Bidding for #1 might be a good way to drum up some press and extra money for the cause.

Jongoleur

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Ye gods - at present, I could imagine the feeding frenzy outside a Raspberry Pi store to be something like this... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/eng.....252421.stm , or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....fZNvJnUaaQ

Eeek!

MDC

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 pm

[embed]ob=av3e[/embed]

I thought I would make this thread more dramatic and epic.

obarthelemy

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:46 am

I'll be strong and not link a Gob Bluth magic video.

Return to “Off topic discussion”