majormonkey

Re: Will there be Elite 4 for the Raspberry Pi?

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Any chance ? :D

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:06 pm

No plans at the moment. Sorry (and I am changing the misleading title of this thread, because you'll land me in *all kinds* of trouble if it's left as it is.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jim Brown

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 am

Elite was a real ground breaking moment, changing people's expectations of what could be done on the 8 bit computers.

Freedom, open-ended, exploration, trading, shooting, docking, and or course 3D graphics

How great would it be to have modern Elite (with OpenGL graphics) exclusively for Raspi-Pi?

Thorn

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:18 pm

It's not Elite, closer to Frontier really, but this project is quite interesting:

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

From their website:

"The game is open-ended, and you are free to explore the millions of star systems in the game. You can land on planets, slingshot past gas giants, and burn yourself to a crisp flying between binary star systems.

When Pioneer is finished there will be many ways to make ends meet: piracy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, mining, doing missions for the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination.

Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2."

ar114411

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:32 am

Thorn said:

It's not Elite, closer to Frontier really, but this project is quite interesting:

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

From their website:

"The game is open-ended, and you are free to explore the millions of star systems in the game. You can land on planets, slingshot past gas giants, and burn yourself to a crisp flying between binary star systems.

When Pioneer is finished there will be many ways to make ends meet: piracy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, mining, doing missions for the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination.

Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2."

This looks interesting, but based on what I have read about ARM on these forums and looking at the system requirements of this game, it appears that it cannot run on the Raspi. The build is meant for a 32 bit architecture, not an ARM one. Being that  I am new to Linux and ARM itself I could be wrong. So please....prove me wrong

Tomo2k

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Nope, I don't see any reason it wouldn't run on the RPi.

You are correct that their current "Binary builds" won't run, as those are built (compiled and linked) for an "x86" CPU like the Intel and AMD 32-bit processors, or their 64-bit ones when pretending to be 32-bit.

The RPi has a "32-bit ARMv6" CPU. This has its own instruction set and cannot pretend to be a 32-bit "x86" processor.

Thus you'll need to download the source code and recompile it, telling the compiler to build it for the ARMv6 processor in RPi.

However, you may need to use simpler models and graphics to fit it in the available RAM - the RPi has less RAM in total than a modern mid-range graphics card has alone.

ar114411

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:15 am

Thanks for that clarification. Now on the topic of RAM, would using a lower resolution help with the lack of ram or does resolution output only depend on the GPU alone?

Return to “Off topic discussion”