Heater

Re: What Linus doesn't like

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:30 pm

As far as those comments relate to things I have some experience of I am in agreement with Linus.

And what is with the fuzzing out of his finger gesture in the picture there? How stupid is that? If you don't want to show such a gesture then use an image from a few seconds earlier or later from the video that came from. Heck there is an hour or more of it to choose from. It's weird to select exactly that moment and then fuzz it out. And everyone knows what it is so why pretend to hide it? Crazy.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

morphy_richards

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:44 pm

In general I'm a fan of anger and belligerence although I think his thoughts on ARM SoC designers are a bit, ahem, extreme.

Heater

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Having been building embedded systems with ARM and Linux for perhaps a decade now I think Linus is right. The ARM SoC world has been a mess with everyone doing their own thing. The fact that we don't have GPU accelerated graphics in X on the Pi today is a testament to that.

And how many instruction sets are there in the ARM world now?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:27 pm

I have to agree with a lot of Linus says ...
;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Burngate

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:52 pm

One of the things that irritates me (there are many) is the way celebrities' off-the-cuff remarks are taken out of context and then regarded as gospel, as from Olympia.

So Linus dislikes some things. Doesn't mean I also have to dislike them.
He's probably got good reason to dislike them, but to get me to also dislike them he or you will have to go into rather more detail. Maybe a half-semester course would do it, but a soundbite doesn't cut it.

Douglas6

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm

What Linus likes:

Linux, git, complaining.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:42 am

Heater wrote:Having been building embedded systems with ARM and Linux for perhaps a decade now I think Linus is right. The ARM SoC world has been a mess with everyone doing their own thing. The fact that we don't have GPU accelerated graphics in X on the Pi today is a testament to that.

And how many instruction sets are there in the ARM world now?
The ARM instruction set has moved on over the years, like x86 has. At least they are fairly well documented, and there is some commonality as you move up the range.

But I'm not sure what accelerated X has to do with ARM SoC's. It's a GPU thing, not an ARM SoC thing. If ARM made a decent GPU then perhaps everyone would use it, but Mali (as of a year years ago) was a bit pants, hence SoC makers tend to use other IP (either their own or bought in IP).

Mali is much better now, but still has power issues and is lacking in certain things a lot of SoC people want (ISP etc)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ric96

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:57 am

I can agree with linus on C++, microkernel and state of ARM (although it has improved a lot). Actually disagree on Gnome3, i find it very simplistic and don't actually like KDE that much.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

PrivacyEnhanced

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:43 am

But I'm not sure what accelerated X has to do with ARM SoC's. It's a GPU thing, not an ARM SoC thing.
Lack of decent OpenGL support is the ONLY reason were stuck using lightweight desktop environments like LXDE and XFCE on the Pi. VideoCore may be open source now but nobody is going to make a window manger that uses it. Heck, IMHO it doesn't even qualify as a "system" on chip nowadays without decent graphics. Booting to a text console is stone age technology.

gkreidl

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:10 pm

PrivacyEnhanced wrote:
But I'm not sure what accelerated X has to do with ARM SoC's. It's a GPU thing, not an ARM SoC thing.
Lack of decent OpenGL support is the ONLY reason were stuck using lightweight desktop environments like LXDE and XFCE on the Pi. VideoCore may be open source now but nobody is going to make a window manger that uses it. Heck, IMHO it doesn't even qualify as a "system" on chip nowadays without decent graphics. Booting to a text console is stone age technology.
Who needs half transparent windows or windows casting shadows upon each other? This is all useless crap. I just replaced the the uncomfortable Unity desktop on my Ubuntu x86 PC with Lubuntu (LXDE) and everything is running much smoother now.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kusti8

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:14 pm

PrivacyEnhanced wrote:
Booting to text console may be stone age, but it still works very well. I had a laptop I put Ubuntu on. It was so slow it was not even funny. I put thr server edition on it and I instantly loved it much better. I can do more things with the terminal than I can with the GUI, and it is faster and saves space.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Off topic discussion”