rpiswag

Tessel Microcontroller vs Raspberry Pi

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 pm

I am not that great at many programming languages but I like write in html and JavaScript. I have always wanted to do some electronics projects but they required you to know C, C++ or Arduino. I was reading some article about JavaScript microcontrollers and one of them which got my attention was the Tessel microcontroller. I like the Raspberry Pi but I don't like all of the overhead linux brings with it when all I want to do is run a simple program. Should I pre order the Tessel 2 for $35 or about 31.70 Euros?
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

joan

Re: Tessel Microcontroller vs Raspberry Pi

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:50 pm

If you live in the States choose the $35 option. If you live in the Eurozone choose the 31.70 Euro option.

Heater

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Never mind the Tessel. Get the Espruino. Original and best. http://www.espruino.com/

Also runs nicely on my STM32 F4 development board and other places. Like on OpenWRT based routers and the Raspberry Pi :) Mind you, node.js is probably better for running JS on the Pi.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rpiswag

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Heater why do you recommend the Espruino over the Tessel 2? I like the Espruino Pico because it's small and breadboard friendly.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

Heater

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:34 am

rpiswag,

I don't have any serious reasons for a downer on the Tessel. I'm sure it is fine if it fits ones needs. From the Espruino FAQ http://www.espruino.com/FAQ :

• Tessel 2 has more memory (64MB vs. 64kB)
  • Espruino uses a lot less power so it can run for years on a battery
  • The Espruino Pico is much smaller (the original Espruino board is only a little smaller)
  • Tessel is faster
  • Tessel has WiFi built in (but you can plug WiFi or Ethernet modules into Espruino)
  • Tessel provide pre-made modules that can be plugged in for certain things - Espruino's emphasis is on using standard hardware that's available cheaply from a variety of vendors.

I have a bit of a personal leaning to Espruino because:

• I backed the Espruino when Gordon Williams announced he would open source his JavaScript engine if he got the backing. I had already played with his previous "TinyJS" engine and wanted to see that perfected.
  • Esprunino runs on other devices. I have it running on my STM32 F4 Discovery development boards.
  • The Espruino Pico is tiny.
  • The Tessel is basically Node.js running on a big MIPS SoC chip. I already have Raspberry Pi and others if I want to move up to that scale.
  • The earlier Tessel did not have a JS engine but rather converted your code to Lua. This seemed a bit clunky to me.
  • The Tessel is a complex thing, not just a single STM32 micro-controller.
  • Espruino is available now. I have two here. Tessel is on pre-order.

Still, if you need all the RAM space and extra speed of a Tessel it may be just what you want.

I may get one myself for comparison.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Off topic discussion”