johnbeetem

Re: BeagleBone: US$89 hardware hacker dev board

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:04 pm

BeagleBoard.org has announced the BeagleBone, a US$89 smaller version of the BeagleBoard. Based on the new Cortex-A8 TI AM3358 SOC, the most obvious difference is large expansion connectors with 0.1" pitch. (Why don't they use 2mm pitch? You get 25% more pins and can still wire-wrap.) No direct video output: instead you get the interface signals to do whatever you want using an expansion board, e.g., HDMI, VGA, LCD. Built-in USB JTAG using FTDI chip.

They haven't announced how much DRAM yet. BeagleBone uses separate DRAM instead of package-on-package, and has a wide pitch BGA for the processor.

Linux Devices: http://www.linuxfordevices.com.....eagleBone/

BeagleBoard.org: http://beagleboard.org/bone

ErvKosch

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Its cute. It somewhere between an Ardunio (possible shield system and small) and a Raspberry PI (also small and it run a full Linux OS with a decent video interface.) I'll wait see what it can do when its released.

j0z0r

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 pm

Still not anywhere near the R-pi price point, but I'm sure it has it's advantages. I personally will just save my money for now and get started on embedded systems when the R-pi comes out. But the wait is killin me!!!

abishur

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Well... if you think about it, it's a little unfair of us to try and compare a commercial for profit product's price with the not for profit r-pi foundation product's price. Conversely, it's not fair of us to take the r-pi specs and complain that they don't meet the specs of a for profit product either. Even though they're both ARM based computers, it's a bit of an apple and orange situation ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Scribe

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:56 pm

How much are you guys paying for the Broadcom CPU? This chap is $5!

It's an awesome kit. Great for me as I won't have to spend time/money on a 3.3v exp header and secondary Atmel chips and can place the design into custom projects (all things that are ideal for me). Most importantly I was having concerns of the Pi's ARM11 not having enough *umph* for libraries such as PCL that have NEON support but would be too difficult to port for the Pi's gfx.

Downside is no native camera support which would limit me to USB camera and thus lower MP to frame-rate ratio.

hippy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:33 pm

Quote from Scribe on October 31, 2011, 21:56
It's an awesome kit. Great for me as I won't have to spend time/money on a 3.3v exp header and secondary Atmel chips and can place the design into custom projects (all things that are ideal for me).

It is the trade-off between buying what does the job for $89 and paying just $35 and adding whatever is needed to do the same.

A number of people seem to be expecting the R-Pi to be just the same and as facilitating as alternative offerings but far cheaper when that's not the reality at all. The R-Pi has a lot going for it but equally it's designed towards a specific goal, so there is work to be done to fit it to some needs; time, effort and cost.

Where the R-Pi 'wins' is when its price plus what needs to be done works out more satisfactory ( by whatever measure ) than buying an alternative and using that. I don't see the R-Pi foundation being upset if someone decides the R-Pi isn't for them, isn't suitable or is not cost or time effective and they choose something else that is a better fit for their needs.

bnolsen

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Also note that $89 doesn't include any video output whatsoever. You have to purchase a separate expansion board to provide any video out.

RAM seems to be 256MB, same as model B.

Scribe

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Quote from bnolsen on October 31, 2011, 22:38
Also note that $89 doesn't include any video output whatsoever. You have to purchase a separate expansion board to provide any video out.

RAM seems to be 256MB, same as model B.

Indeed but the support for the raw output is there at least. Conversely it DOES include a 2GB Micro-SD.

As Hippy says, it all depends how you want to use the board where that balance is struck. Just checking on Mouser in UK money it's £62 for a single unit btw (since you can never really tell with $ once you add shipping and customs).

kattle87

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 am

I don't know... Programming the board through a web browser interface honestly sounds ridiculous to me. This looks like a "cooler arduino" but far more costly.
I have honestly no idea about what can be done with that bone that can't be done with an arduino + a raspi ^^

johnbeetem

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Regarding the "competition": I've had a BeagleBoard for 3 years and have watched the BeagleBoard group off and on ever since, occasionally participating -- particularly at the beginning. Most of the group's posts are newbies having a hard time getting a version of GNU/Linux to boot on the BB, and woes with getting keyboards and mice working with whatever USB hub configuration the newbie has acquired. A lot of these are RTFM, but it actually brings up a weakness with the BB community: difficulty finding stable operating systems to run. I'm still using an ancient version of Ångström, partly because it works for my current needs, but mostly because I haven't found a repository that says "here is the stable, long-term release that you should use unless you reallly, really need the latest unstable version for a specific reason." (It's also a pain for me to create a new SD card image, but that's partly my own fault.) I don't enjoy operating system hacking and just want a stable platform for the things I do enjoy like my programming language, GUIs, and various design tools.

One thing I'm looking forward to with RasPi is that to support children learning about computers -- won't someone think of the children? -- there is a huge incentive to have at least one stable GNU/Linux distribution and an easy way to get it. BB is designed for software developers, not for users, and people who get BBs without understanding that are likely to be disappointed.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:03 pm

We've been really pleased to learn about BeagleBone. One of our goals is to encourage other companies to make affordable computing much more available than it is at the moment, and BeagleBone is a great step in that direction.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Dietmar

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Yes, others are not sleeping too. The OLPC generates netbooks like Asus EEEPC.
From Samsung is on the market 256MB Mini6410 ARM11 S3C6410, EUR 103,95.
It has the same CPU as Raspi, Arm 1176. I agree, that Raspi is on best way, (I only do not like closed source for GPU:-)).
In my school we have a very big interest. We want Raspi for a lot of things,
so, be prepared^^
Dietmar

Return to “Off topic discussion”