Terratic

LiquidSky Coming to Raspberry Pi

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 pm

It's a cloud-based service that gives you access to a powerful PC, streaming the video feed to your client while you send inputs with your keyboard and mouse. You can install/run pretty much any program you want, but it's main focus has been video games.

I've been testing the PC and Android versions; so far, I'm extremely impressed. I was able to run any game on max settings, from Dota 2 to Skyrim, at 900p with my measly 6mbps download speed. Next, they're going to be developing the iOS, Mac and Linux versions, but the RPi client has also been announced on their website. That is pretty exciting.

They're in beta at the moment. You can test the PC and Android client for free. Just download, install and run any program or game you want to see what it's like.

Website is http://www.LiquidSky.tv

Heater

Re: LiquidSky Coming to Raspberry Pi

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 pm

Sounds awful.

Imagine a logical conclusion of this idea. We don't have computers any more, we only have screens that connect to the computers in the server farms of the mega corporations. We forever rent computer time and space from them.

We don't communicate between each other any more, everything goes happens through said mega corporations. There is no more internet. How could there be, we don't have computers any more?

We are finally subjugated my the mega corporations.

As the hash tag of LiquidSky ominously says: #FinishTheInternet

You have been warned.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Terratic

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:15 pm

That's up to the consumer if they want to have remote access to an expensive computer that they couldn't normally afford, or use a crappier one that they can afford. That first option is new. Of course, if you can afford a decent PC, nothing beats running a game/program locally. No compression artifacts or latency.

Their version is an attempt to fix what is wrong with PSNow, Nvidia Grid and other cloud-based gaming services. Too many restrictions, and when or if those companies go under, you're screwed. Just look at what happened to OnLive. Nothing worthy of a tinfoil hat theory; you can still buy your own machine, and that option is unlikely to go away any time soon.

FinishTheInternet just means that they want to use the internet to its fullest potential.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 am

My problem with the whole cloud idea is that it puts my data where I can't get at it unless I continue to make payments to an external entity. It also puts (potentially sensitive) data in the hands of people that may share it against my expressed will. At least if it runs on my own systems, I can air-gap it if I want to.

Terratic

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:45 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:My problem with the whole cloud idea is that it puts my data where I can't get at it unless I continue to make payments to an external entity. It also puts (potentially sensitive) data in the hands of people that may share it against my expressed will. At least if it runs on my own systems, I can air-gap it if I want to.
What you could do, potentially, is use a sharing program to backup the data onto your own PC via download. You're allowed to do that. With video games, they have Steam implemented, so accessing the game save data should be no issue.

Regarding privacy, they have said this:

"With LiquidSky, each user's instance is separated from all others. . . .

The only data we plan to store is the name of the running application which causes a crash. All other data is yours and yours only. We encrypt your installed applications and files and send them to one of our secure servers. LiquidSky employees don’t even know the key to decrypt your files."

Nevertheless, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Just browsing the web, playing video games, etc., I don't mind if they know what I'm doing. I wouldn't use my e-mail or PayPal, or anything like that, and I wouldn't need to, but that's just common sense.

Heater

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 am

W. H. Heydt,

I do agree and sympathize with your issues regarding "the cloud". Having ones data beholden to a rent seeking provider, whilst at the same time not being able to trust them an inch when it comes to not sharing my data for their own profit or other purposes.

However, on the other hand, an air gapped computer is essentially useless. I cannot work with my data unless I am with my machine. Which I am often not. Of course now a days machines can be small enough that I could carry my air gapped machine with me where ever I go but that has significant risk of loss or theft.

Then what about collaboration with widely dispersed people for work or play?

What about backups which are best kept geographically separated?

I guess we could exchange memory sticks through the post or via secure courier, but really.

The answer to these problems is a real cloud, a cloud of peer to peer networking between my machines and the machines of others. The internet as it was intended. The thing they call "cloud" now is most certainly not a cloud, it's very centralized systems of machines belonging to the likes of Facebook, Google, Amazon and so on.

Of course this solution relies on secure communication between peers. Which I seem to remember you were fervently arguing should not be allowed for normal people.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:37 am

Heater wrote: What about backups which are best kept geographically separated?
Before I retired, one thing I did was to create backup media and store them at work in a locked desk. For other uses, I make backups of convention data and hand them off to another committee member (as well as keeping a copy myself...I have the habit of always making at least two backups in case one turns out to be bad). Or as I used to tell people...If you'd seen as many datacenter disasters as I have, you'd be paranoid, too.

rpdom

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:45 am

Heater wrote:Sounds awful.

Imagine a logical conclusion of this idea. We don't have computers any more, we only have screens that connect to the computers in the server farms of the mega corporations. We forever rent computer time and space from them.
That was, at one point, the vision of the future. There would be a handful of huge, powerful, computers and everyone would have a terminal in their home connected to them. One company would run the computers...

metalj

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:20 am

I don't really get what their excited about. Also where did you see the raspberry pi part at? This would be great for steam but I'm not a huge modern gamer. If they had a good music software offering I'd check it out but they're talking about audacity.
Backspace 28 times :)

Terratic

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:27 am

metalj wrote:I don't really get what their excited about. Also where did you see the raspberry pi part at? This would be great for steam but I'm not a huge modern gamer. If they had a good music software offering I'd check it out but they're talking about audacity.
At the download page, they list it.

With music, I think it'd be useful for using sampled instruments + Kontakt or similar types of software. Using multiple VSTs at once consumes a lot of RAM and CPU power.

drgeoff

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:01 am

Terratic wrote:That's up to the consumer if they want to have remote access to an expensive computer that they couldn't normally afford, or use a crappier one that they can afford. That first option is new.
You are displaying just how little you know of the history of computers. The first option is decades old. Not merely as an idea - it was implemented and very widely used.

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:16 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Terratic wrote:That's up to the consumer if they want to have remote access to an expensive computer that they couldn't normally afford, or use a crappier one that they can afford. That first option is new.
You are displaying just how little you know of the history of computers. The first option is decades old. Not merely as an idea - it was implemented and very widely used.
It didn't have the funky marketing department invented name back then. IT dept managers clearly think "cloud" is much more sexy than "bureau service".
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Off topic discussion”