Fght

"torrents" for websites (an idea)

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:55 pm

some will find my msg to be silly... because why would one want to share his ideas for a "startup"?

anyhow...

i was thinking.. why not creating a system that works like torrents do but for websites and websites history?
one of the benefits is that people won't need paid web hosts anymore.

they can also support projects they like by hosting them

is that a non practical invention?

edit:

it will also be harder to distort the history of information

ghans

Re: "torrents" for websites (an idea)

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Freenet does this. The drawback is of course that incremental updates and real-time webapps are harder.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Fght

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:36 pm

can i build a website others can easily access with Freenet?

i'm not sure about the drawbacks you have mentioned....

if you mean the pileup of information it's not necessarily should be a problem because it can be controllable.

why real time updates is a problem? once update has been made it can update the other computers too...

why do we must have 'externals' servers? can't we rely on our computers?

ghans

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Perhaps i might have misunderstood you ... check those links to see whether Freenet comes close to your idea.

https://freenetproject.org/whatis.html
https://freenetproject.org/understand.html

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Fght

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:09 pm

i read a bit. but i'm confused.

is it simple for a user to open a website with freenet?

Fght

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm

if i'm downloading the freenet software is it dangerous to just see what's around in there?

ghans

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Everybody who wants to publish a freesite needs to use Freenet software. Everybody who wants to read Freesites needs to install the Freenet software , too
(Like any other P2P software). Freesites do not use regular HTTP servers and can't be powered by the popular "web stacks".
They also are optimized for static and slowly updateable content.

Whether this consitutes as "easy enough" i do not know. But it is the only system which occurred to me as association to the catchphrase "torrents for websites".

ghans

Fght

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:16 pm

ok

cyrano

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:49 pm

There's also MaidSafe. It's even a UK (Scottish) project and it even has it's own digital money. See:

http://maidsafe.net/

Also, there's nothing new under the sun, apparently. :roll:

15 years ago, some Canadians from zeroknowledgesystems.com produced "Freedom", which was like FreeNet. They abandoned the open source project in exchange for some 20 million US$. I think some of their code might have ended up in tor. Zeroknowledgesystems is now a defense contractor.

"Freedom" was very good software. I have a feeling MaidSafe is even better, but it's not finished yet.

The reason I think MaidSafe is better, is because they have an economic model to attract participants. If you can deliver storage and bandwidth to the network, you earn safecoin. If you consume a lot of storage and bandwidth, you'll need to buy safecoin. This is a strong incentive to join.

Fght

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:34 pm

i see

so you are saying it is better to use this incentive of using money because otherwise things won't really go further..

but how do i actually host my website with them?
and how the more simple user can use their service...

i want that every person would be able to share his ideas on the internet without the need to use services that include sponsor's ads.

Fght

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 pm

the idea may also work for website's comments. for example.... if you want the comments of news or blogs sites to not reside on the site itself but reside on different servers like "my idea" for example for the reason of letting the user's information to not belong to the site itself because it might allow people to speak more. this may be a very good idea imo

cyrano

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Fght wrote:so you are saying it is better to use this incentive of using money because otherwise things won't really go further..
If there's money to be made, it will expand a lot faster.
but how do i actually host my website with them?
and how the more simple user can use their service...
It's not released yet. And I don't know even if there will be a Raspberry version. There will be a linux version (and a Windows and Mac version), but that will probably be for Intel processors. But it's open source, so anyone who knows about compilers could port the project.
i want that every person would be able to share his ideas on the internet without the need to use services that include sponsor's ads.
Once it is released, you would need to run MaidSafe on one of your computers and dedicate a part of a harddisk as storage.

Then you would "upload" your site to the network. In this case, your site would be first uploaded to your own disk. From there, the site starts spreading out to harddisks in the neigbourhood where your visitors are. That would make access fast.

And it's the network itself that controls encryption, distribution, storage and duplication.

It doesn't matter if some harddisks go offline because the data is replicated to a lot of harddisks. And only the network itself knows where the data is stored. Of course, you have the key to your data, in order to change your site. Others will have only read access to your site, unless you give them a key.

And of course, there are provisions to keep data private, or with a limited access group, or public.

As there is no central server, this system should be able to survive most attacks without blinking.

You can't DDOS it, since there is no central server.
You can't delete or change other people's data, since you don't know where the data is stored.

Of course, networks like these will attract criminals. There is nothing anyone can do about that. Not even your friendly spying government...

Fght

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:59 pm

when we will have a project like that really running and doing its thing for justice?

i think that it is sad but a lot of information is delete from israeli servers and we in israel need better solutions for that...

Gal Bek is an interesting case..
but you can't read about it in english. all information is in hebrew at the moment.
you can translate tho.

our country needs a real change.

ethanmagestore

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:54 am

Your idea is so cool. But building website like that can cause a lot of problems. And the hosting service now is quite cheap. Especially, you can have a free hosting service today. You must have some more ideas about this

Bluebarry

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 pm

ethanmagestore wrote:Your idea is so cool. But building website like that can cause a lot of problems. And the hosting service now is quite cheap. Especially, you can have a free hosting service today. You must have some more ideas about this
Well yes, but when you have a free hosting service you always carry the hosting provider with you in the url or there are advertisements on your website. Isn't that the kind of thing he wants to prevent with his idea? Then again, ofcourse there are also a lot of rather cheap hosting services like 1&1 etc. However, I still think this idea is very interesting and I could really see it work. The general outline is really cool, but I am looking forward to seeing more details!

Fght

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:11 pm

one of my fantasies by the way is that people will be able to share what they want without the need of using commercial services.

let me give an example again.
i really wanted to respond to some issue running in the news lately in israel but i didn't had a place to post my ideas. i could do it only in some news articles... but it's not where i want my info to be... forums are not abundant for these issues and i hate the policies of the existing ones...

it was really annoying to me....

i think people get hopeless when their ideas aren't shared.

i don't think it should be complicated... but we already talked about that.
i really hope that anyone will be able to share what they want on the net freely.....
facebook and google+ are not very good... the google+ is better build in my opinion yet not popular

Return to “Off topic discussion”