BMS Doug

Re: In search of a quiet mini-computer

Tue May 12, 2015 1:32 pm

boyoh wrote: I think I will go and live in the middle of the "GOBIE Desert", It won't " HERTZ" me there
You'll certainly find it harder to notice the heating effects of RF radiation while you are there.
ImageImageImage

what Wave-length was that?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

morphy_richards

Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Regarding unscientific scare mongering of a public health related nature: if you ask me (which no one has, well not specifically anyway), the Daily Mail has a lot to answer for. :x

BMS Doug

Tue May 12, 2015 2:13 pm

morphy_richards wrote:Regarding unscientific scare mongering of a public health related nature: if you ask me (which no one has, well not specifically anyway), the Daily Mail has a lot to answer for. :x
My Wife gets the daily mail on Saturdays (for the TV listings magazine) I tried to read it but their post election coverage was so biased that I couldn't stomach it.
Doug.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Has anyone mentioned antivaxer's yet?

Biggest threat to humankind since the atom bomb. And Red Bull. And climate change deniers. And asteroids. And haemorrhoids. And some other 'oids we don't know about yet. And how about fanatical followers of religion? On the whole, think I'll stick with the Pi.

(I'm off now, have fun)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

morphy_richards

Tue May 12, 2015 2:38 pm

I have problems with fanatical anything. Just chill the heck out dudes.
(Queue Apple v Android fanboism, one day they will usher in the apocalypse, mark my words)
jamesh wrote: (I'm off now, have fun)
Tarra.

BMS Doug

Tue May 12, 2015 2:58 pm

jamesh wrote: And how about fanatical followers of religion?
As an avid Pastafarian I'm sure that I could convince you to embrace the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Some might say that Pastafarianism conflicts with my role as an Erisian Pope, but I manage to reconcile the two.

Doug.

morphy_richards

Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Careful Now!
(down with this sort of thing)

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 12, 2015 4:22 pm

morphy_richards wrote:I have problems with fanatical anything. Just chill the heck out dudes.
(Queue Apple v Android fanboism, one day they will usher in the apocalypse, mark my words)
Emacs vs. vi.

RaTTuS

Tue May 12, 2015 4:24 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Burngate

Tue May 12, 2015 5:12 pm

bobstro wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:[...] We are all going to die one day, so why not enjoy life rather than worrying :?:
That's what the smokers used to say. Don't miss them on airplanes.
I was under the impression that banning smokers had more to do with fuel-saving than the punters' health - without smoke in the air, the rate of change of cabin air could be lower.
Because the air has to be compressed, the engines have to do less if the the rate is lower.
The result is an increase in the viral and bacterial load in cabin air - but you can't smell that, so you're happy.

So in this limited case, nonsmoking is bad for your health!

morphy_richards

Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
morphy_richards wrote:I have problems with fanatical anything. Just chill the heck out dudes.
Emacs vs. vi.
Personally I prefer joe.

stillness2health

All for chilldren's well being

Tue May 12, 2015 9:37 pm

by scruss » Tue May 12, 2015 3:36 am
stillness2health wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/we ... d-ill.html

I think something is breaking your links; I think you meant to link to Is Wi-Fi making your child ill?
Hello,

Thanks a lot for alerting me to the broken link to the news article in the Saturday, May 9 issue of The Telegraph on children's over-exposure to Wi-Fi/EMFs. Here it is again (with a little better understanding of the forum syntax), as pointed out above:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/we ... d-ill.html

There is also a related article a month ago in The Daily Telegraph of Australia:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 6ebea46dd2

For those who are interested, here is a more recent study (carried out in Germany) on EMF exposure and possible links to tumor growth:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1X15003988

entitled:
“Tumor promotion by exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields below exposure limits for humans”

My understanding is that it is the (GHz) artificial frequencies, not the RF power per se human bodies react and adapt to. The fortunate may adapt well and live without major incidences, but the unfortunate may develop undesirable health issues. It think it is justifiable to be prudent as far as growing children are concerned. …

Sincerely,

Nick at stillness2health

stillness2health

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Hello, again:

It has been more than a month since I made this post at the beginning of May, concerning my feeling of uneasiness while using Raspberry Pi 2 model B (as compared to the very quiet RPi B or RPi B+. Many suggested that the RPi 2 unit be placed in some kind of a (Faraday) shield to see if it reduces the muscular tensions I feel. I thought a more practical solution would be to order a metallic case for the Pi such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Alum ... ry+Pi+B%2B

But it has not arrived after more than a month of placing the order from the following on-line store www.dx.com, (DealExtreme):

http://www.dx.com/p/aluminum-alloy-shel ... -37885[url][/url]

Tired of waiting, I found a small aluminium box from a nearby electronics supply store and shoved the Pi 2 inside. But it did not work... Then, I remembered the following response to my post:
morphy_richards wrote:

I suppose the percieved issue might be solved by enclosing the pi in a grounded Faraday cage.

I'm sure you could make one that can shield from EM frequencies that the Pi might generate for cheaper than that
Well, guess what? The grounding made all the difference and the RPI 2 now sitting in the (grounded) aluminium box felt just like using a RPi B.

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions!

Nick @ Stillness2Health

morphy_richards

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:18 am

I think an ungrounded metal enclose could act as an antenna and possibly increase the propogation of any EM coming from the pi.
Can EM radiation from inside the enclosure induce a current in the electrically isolated box? If yes, with no where else to go this current becomes heat and more EM. (perhaps, I'm not sure you can create a current like that in an isolated conductor, although I know this is what happens in transformer cores with eddy currents)
Last edited by morphy_richards on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ame

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:28 am

stillness2health wrote: Well, guess what? The grounding made all the difference and the RPI 2 now sitting in the (grounded) aluminium box felt just like using a RPi B.

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions!

Nick @ Stillness2Health
Have you done a test?

Ask someone to ground or unground the case at various times. They should make a note of what state they chose, but not tell you. During each session, make a note of whether you do or do not feel uncomfortable (due to suspected emissions). After a few sessions, compare your notes with the other person's notes. If they correlate then that is a good indication that you really are sensitive to the emissions and it's not just woo.

kusti8

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 am

And make him blindfolded to prevent any influence on the test.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

morphy_richards

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Points of interest (for me) in this thread.
1 - anecdotes. (This is an off topic discudiscussion thread so entirely appropriate I think)
2 - strongly opposing view points.
3 - challenges to both those positions that are regulated in their tone (no one has used capital letters and multiple exclamation marks)
4 - personally, although my own position on this particular issue is well, sceptical, it seems somehow more measured and less prone to causing 'teeth itch' than the other time this has come up. Perhaps because it seems no one has anything nefarious to gain from this case.
5 - I find it thought provoking. :)

Edit apologies to those offended by bulleted number lists but it is the most efficient method to idly natter on with this still buggy development version phone.

Ooh, a thought has occurred to add to this errant ramble of mine. To the op. What effect have you noticed from proximity to mobile phones and suchlike?

stillness2health

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:21 am

by morphy_richards » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 pm
Ooh, a thought has occurred to add to this errant ramble of mine. To the op. What effect have you noticed from proximity to mobile phones and suchlike?
It was actually that 'it gives me creeps'-like responses to these devices that led me to liking the RPi (B/B+). These uneasy feelings are mostly gone when these cell phone devices are placed in the "airplane" mode, which led me suspect the role of Wi-Fi (or cellular frequencies). Like I mentioned in the OP, one biggest advantage with the RPi is that I can use wired internet connections without bothering with the Wi-Fi. Then I was very surprised that RPi 2 also generates similar muscular tensions even without using a Wi-Fi dongle.....

As far as further testing is concerned, I am perfectly happy with staying in the anecdote mode, as reporting results from having another person connecting and disconnecting the ground cannot be that convincing to you without independent witnesses. What matters the most is that I can now type away with an RPi 2 (e.g. writing this reply), which I could not do without the grounded aluminium tin!

Best to all,

Nick @stillness2health

aimc

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:04 pm

stillness2health wrote:
by morphy_richards » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 pm
It was actually that 'it gives me creeps'-like responses to these devices that led me to liking the RPi (B/B+). These uneasy feelings are mostly gone when these cell phone devices are placed in the "airplane" mode, which led me suspect the role of Wi-Fi (or cellular frequencies). Like I mentioned in the OP, one biggest advantage with the RPi is that I can use wired internet connections without bothering with the Wi-Fi. Then I was very surprised that RPi 2 also generates similar muscular tensions even without using a Wi-Fi dongle.....

As far as further testing is concerned, I am perfectly happy with staying in the anecdote mode, as reporting results from having another person connecting and disconnecting the ground cannot be that convincing to you without independent witnesses. What matters the most is that I can now type away with an RPi 2 (e.g. writing this reply), which I could not do without the grounded aluminium tin!

Best to all,

Nick @stillness2health
Hi, hello.
While i am open minded to your possible hypersensitivity, i would suggest to search for alternative clothing to further lower down electromagnetic frequencies that might bother you. So you can interact more easily with other people.
(because, as you know, nowadays everyone carries a cellphone, which probably might bother you and so isolate you socially)

carriba

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:58 pm

For a mini computer I have the right enclosure for you, checkout

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-All ... 1631605805

A solid high quality full aluminum enclosure and rugged solid case especially conceived for its use at schools. Already deployed some Rasperry Pi 2 B computers at local elementary schools here with this case, and the kids love them !!

If interested I can ship you one outside the usual online platforms price overhead, at cost without any commercial objectives from my side ;-)

Return to “Off topic discussion”