Joe Schmoe

Re: Free speech

Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 am

toxibunny wrote:Free speech is at root a moral issue, and those who argue 'this forum is not a democracy' or 'free speech is a U.S. constitutional right, and doesn't apply here' are arguing from a legalistic standpoint, and are thereby completely missing the point.
+2
A wrong is neither excused nor justified by the fact that 'there's no law against it'. Similarly, 'this is my space and I can do what I like' isn't the sort of 'reason' a thinking person should accept.
+4
I'm not talking about the original post, btw. Just something to think about whenever the subject of forum censorship comes up...
+2
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue May 12, 2015 7:29 am

toxibunny wrote:Free speech is at root a moral issue, and those who argue 'this forum is not a democracy' or 'free speech is a U.S. constitutional right, and doesn't apply here' are arguing from a legalistic standpoint, and are thereby completely missing the point.
No. Often people confuse morality and ethics. Mores and ethics are quite different; the former what is the societal norm for what is expected and the latter "what ought we to do, or how ought we to live?"

'Free Speech' is actually a matter of ethics. All people 'ought' to have freedom of expression. As a moral issue, all people who have the ethical right to freedom of expression ALSO ought to have a moral obligation for responsible thoughtful discourse. Without moral responsibility ethical freedom is meaningless.
marcus
:ugeek:

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 12, 2015 7:00 pm

toxibunny wrote:... Similarly, 'this is my space and I can do what I like' isn't the sort of 'reason' a thinking person should accept...
That depends on whether that "thinking person" has ever thought about where their rights actually come from, be it moral, legal, social, human etc. (Most haven't.)

On this forum though it's really very simple: you do not have the right to say what you want.

Even "non-thinking people" should be able to absorb that ;)

eggbeater

Tue May 12, 2015 8:42 pm

clive wrote:
toxibunny wrote:... Similarly, 'this is my space and I can do what I like' isn't the sort of 'reason' a thinking person should accept...
That depends on whether that "thinking person" has ever thought about where their rights actually come from, be it moral, legal, social, human etc. (Most haven't.)

On this forum though it's really very simple: you do not have the right to say what you want.

Absorbed. :D
Have a few LEDs in your way? Make them into a light show!
http://launchpad.net/raspberrypi-christmaslights/

BMS Doug

Wed May 13, 2015 6:59 am

clive wrote:

Many a time I have thought of putting something in a reply, and decided that not posting was a better course of action.
I mostly steer clear of posting LMGTFY links (although sometimes the temptation is too strong) as I feel its better not to be to abrasive when responding.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed May 13, 2015 7:13 am

clive wrote: On this forum though it's really very simple: you do not have the right to say what you want.

That is the problem. Most people are third-order thinkers, and the quote is a fourth-order thought!

Most people do not understand the moral responsibility involved (nor the complexity) and particularly on the Internet. (well, if they did we wouldn't need moderators!) :|

On the other hand people can understand examples: you don't run into a packed movie theatre and scream "fire" when there isn't one... nor do you joke about a bomb at the airport, nor do you insult your boss at work... or ask your wife if its OK to date her best friend... and I can go on and on with that/

The fourth-order thinker may not get it right all the time, but they will be asking themselves honestly, "what things ought I not to say, just because it isn't 'right'?"
marcus
:ugeek:

Malman35

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 am

This is what I feel on this whole matter.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=112260
I usually tend to have the outlook that the moderators have the right to lock any thread or do what ever else they feel necessary to maintain the forum. I am content to know that they even let me join. For those who feel they were done injustice, remember that they could ban you from rpi forums. Think of being on the forum as a privilege
Note: I don't think any of them would ban you just to be mean. They always (from what I have seen) have liable reasons for what the do.

Return to “Off topic discussion”