fos

Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:47 am

I just got around to obtaining and setting up a Raspberry Pi 2.

It still costs just $35 but has a quad core Arm 7 processor and a full gig of internal memory. Add to that a 16 gig micro SD memory chip and it is a pretty healthy computer. Certainly as much computer as the old quad core Sequent that was in UNFs computer lab back when I took Unix and C in 1990. The Sequent had only four work stations assigned to it. Since there were 20+ students in my one class and probably other classes, the seats were frequently taken.

I was running Coherent, a commercial unix clone, on a Zeos 386 laptop at the time. I really thought I was pretty slick and bragged about it to classmates. I had to be one of the few running unix on a laptop in those days. Anyway, I typically did my homework on the laptop. The Mark Williams C compiler was very efficient. It produced a.out files much smaller than the Sequent an its compiler.

I find it amazing that you can now have a quad core computer that fits in your pocket and doesn't even need a fan to keep it cool. To make mine cool, I keep it in a Pi Moroni PiBow Rainbow case. To me the RPi and the PiBow just go together.

I am sponsoring one of my old students that is going to be Valedictorian of the high school where I taught. For a graduation gift, I am giving her an RPi and accessories. Maybe she will be inspired to big things. One of my much earlier students is now working in Hollywood on digital movie animation. Fortunately, my students are much more gifted than I am!

fos
Last edited by fos on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://faroutscience.com

W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:12 am

I understand that, at any given time, a lot of people are not working in Hollywood. (Yes, I understand what you meant. Congrats on inspiring your students to greatness.)

fos

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

I mistyped. After graduating from Texas Tech, Kyle is actually working at a digital studio in Hollywood. I introduced him to Unix. His mother is also a math teacher so he had lots of inspiration.

fos
https://faroutscience.com

W. H. Heydt

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:19 am

fos wrote:I mistyped. After graduating from Texas Tech, Kyle is actually working at a digital studio in Hollywood. I introduced him to Unix. His mother is also a math teacher so he had lots of inspiration.

fos
If typos were a capital offense, there would be no programmers. Indeed, it would depopulate the country (and, most likely, the world).

On the plus side of the ledger...I went to 2nd grade in Texas (Abilene, specifically).

zog

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:35 am

I'm loving my rpi2. I am running kodi media player on mine alongside the desktop via x windows with no real performance hit. It's totally awesome!

Return to “Off topic discussion”