Forrrge

Have they not heard of a RPi ?

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:54 am

I think they should have done a little more research ;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... -computers
A few years ago, on a trip to India, we had an epiphany: If we ran a full desktop operating system on the inexpensive processors that power smartphones, and plugged them into the TVs people already own, we could make a computer that is affordable to more people.

Three years later we are proud to show you Endless, a computer, operating system, and ecosystem of applications tailored specifically to users in developing countries.

DougieLawson

Re: Have they not heard of a RPi ?

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:14 pm

And we're interested in this because ...?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Forrrge

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Well I found it interesting as they think they're the first with this idea with a device thats going to sell for over $100 more than a RPi, but maybe thats just me ;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm

They are going to waste a lot of money on that case. Massively over 'designed', expensive to make, not very practical. This sort of thing needs to be CHEAP. $100 is way too much.

No idea what is inside it though!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Laurens-wuyts

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Laurens

OttovanZanten

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 pm

Yea it's not really groundbreaking stuff xD If they'd put Pi's in there I'm sure they could have made something cheaper.
Then again they did spend a lot of time on making a custom OS prob.

cyrano

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm

My thoughts exactly, when I saw this. Even more when you look at the price.

A lot of kickstarters these days are scams, IMHO.

jamesh

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:41 pm

OttovanZanten wrote:Yea it's not really groundbreaking stuff xD If they'd put Pi's in there I'm sure they could have made something cheaper.
Then again they did spend a lot of time on making a custom OS prob.
I suspect it uses Linux with a custom desktop (looks a bit like a tweaked LXDE) rather than a completely new OS.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

PeterO

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:00 pm

jamesh wrote:I suspect it uses Linux with a custom desktop (looks a bit like a tweaked LXDE) rather than a completely new OS.
Q&A on the kickstarter page suggests it is Android based !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

OttovanZanten

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:17 pm

That explains that there are 'over a hundred!' apps available xD

Forrrge

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Its based on linux, here's what one of the creators has said, you can even check out parts of it on github

Creator Endless Team 3 days ago

@Gabriel: Thanks for your support! As you say, Endless OS is built on top of the Linux kernel, the GNOME stack and many other open source technologies. Source code for the open source components we develop and modify can be found on https://github.com/endlessm.
The application store and some of the applications bundled with Endless OS are currently proprietary, but we have plans to open up our development platform to third-parties in the future.

Cosimo

mikerr

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Looks and priced more like more a chromebox...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

kusti8

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:36 pm

mikerr wrote:Looks and priced more like more a chromebox...
+1

Or a funky looking computer.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

riklaunim

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Clownfunding doesn't have to only have reasonable projects. And also ARM single board computers aren't always a solution for an affordable PC. Sometimes x86 is required or highly preferred. There are already cheap Windows 8.1 devices with Intel Bay Trails. Chinese dongles of that type seems to be bit cheaper than those Endless from Kickstarter ;)

milhouse

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Intel are practically giving away their mobile chips at almost zero price, as nobody else wants them, so that might explain why they're being used, and probably allowed Endless to blow the money saved on the expensive case design and packaging (or to just max out any margin). Still, the thing needs a 29W power supply to run, which doesn't really seem ideal considering the more power efficient alternatives (possibly the Pi2 came out way too late to be considered?)

I've no idea who exactly the target market is for this project, but according to the replies on Kickstarter they're incredibly materialistic as "must look nice" and "have pretty packaging" were key requirements...

Providing computing for the "next billion" is a noble goal but the way they're going about it just makes me want to weep - they seem either rather naiive, or have an ulterior motive (I wouldn't be surprised to find Intel are backing them, and the Kickstarter campaign is just cheap publicity).

The BBC has a video interview with the Endless founder, but I don't think the guy interviewing really "gets it" either.

Something's just not right about this whole endeavour. Maybe just too many hipsters involved.

kusti8

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:50 pm

I saw the video interview and have one comment (out of the many):
He talks saying that a desktop experience is better. He admits that you can type etc. on a tablet as well, but says you need a desktop to do things like video editing.
Why would the target audience (India or other markets) want to do video editing? To capture the video, you need a smartphone or tablet in the first place, and video editing is hardly a necessity.
Some people are visionaries, but they don't think it through...
If you get past the sleek look, how useful is it :?:
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

milhouse

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:33 pm

I do agree with him that typing and certain activities are better done with a real, full size keyboard and mouse than a touchscreen keyboard, or even a laptop keyboard/touchpad. But yes, the activities discussed seemed a little contrived and perhaps far fetched however the vibe I'm getting from the San Francisco dude (and their replies on Kickstarter) are that the people in the Favelas have aspirations just like everyone else, and this is giving them what they want - an over powered, over engineered, over designed (and consequently over priced) computer.

It doesn't seem to be about what people *need* but what they *want*. And the San Francisco people are convinced they know what these people want, while probably having no clue about what they actually need.

Laurens-wuyts

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:56 am

What I also was thinking is, how are they going to connect it to their TV.
If they have a flat-screen TV they can use HDMI, but most TV's just have composite video or scart. :D

Laurens

feiming

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:59 am

i'm interested in porting the OS to Rpi.

pro2a

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 am

Greenhorn here..

I saw an article in the paper about a year ago on the RPi ... I finally got one and what an amazing little box .. first post.

hello.

Return to “Off topic discussion”