rrjacobs

5 Fundamental Ways to Use Data Visualization

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:25 pm

The human brain is amazing.

Every second, the eye processes 8.96 Mb of data. Holy batman!

We may not be wired to read fast, but we’re wired to visualize fast. Why do you think PowerPoint presentations are so ingrained in corporate culture?

We love our bar charts, pie graphs, and other forms of data visualization. There’s no shame in it, folks. We can’t get enough.

Below is a presentation I uploaded to our SlideShare account:

http://blog.initialstate.com/5-fundamen ... alization/

Enjoy!

Burngate

Re: 5 Fundamental Ways to Use Data Visualization

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Being an old-fashioned sort of guy, who was brought up with foolscap - even A4 was so new-fangled we didn't trust it - I have to disagree with most of that presentation.

Most PowerPoint presentations are so badly made they don't tell you anything. They tend to be very pretty - clever graphics and so on - but extremely light on actual information.
But even good ones don't allow interaction - they're good for convincing the audience of the correctness of the presenter's ideas, but if he were to use a blackboard, you can yell out "that's wrong", and he can change things at will

Where did the figure 8.96Mb/s come from? Any sources, or is it something made up to sound good?
And why is reading text supposed to be worse than pretty pictures?

I'm thinking of two areas I happen to interested in: quantum mechanics and Tudor history.
If you see a picture showing an electron going through a crystal, you probably think you understand it. Only when you see it worked out on paper do you realise you haven't got a clue - and nor does anyone else.
And how about why Henry VIII had those monasteries closed down? Pretty pictures can show him doing it, but not why.

You may have noticed my first sentence.
Without a picture in sight, you have an idea about who I am, what I think, whether I should be listened to.
In fact a PowerPoint presentation would have detracted from that.

AndyD

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Burngate wrote:Most PowerPoint presentations are so badly made they don't tell you anything. They tend to be very pretty - clever graphics and so on - but extremely light on actual information.
But even good ones don't allow interaction - they're good for convincing the audience of the correctness of the presenter's ideas, but if he were to use a blackboard, you can yell out "that's wrong", and he can change things at will...
Edward Tufte has some interesting criticism of PowerPoint type presentations. There is a short Wired article here.

Burngate

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 am

AndyD wrote:... a short Wired article here.
Thankyou for that - If I'd known about it, I wouldn't have bothered with my post - he says what I wanted to say far more cogently than I could.

Which means I agree with him, but isn't evidence that we're right.

morphy_richards

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 pm

• I love my old fashioned lo-tech whiteboard.
  • One of the best things about my high tech interactive whiteboard is MS Paint and the whiteboard pen.
  • But, I also love PowerPoint. It has it's place, and in it's place it is good.
  • Different strokes for different folks and the right tool for the right job in the right situation.

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:11 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
There's a cruel irony about putting your thoughts down as bullet points. They are the bane. They show everything that is wrong with MS PowerPoint & Libreoffice (and IBM's FOILs (which, in theory, meant "film over incandescent lamp") presentation method that preceded it).

I'm as guilty as the next man for doing stuff with acetate sheets and PowerPoint but I have NEVER used clipart to try to detract from the pure technical content of the lots of boring jargon words I've crammed into a small page in a font that's too tiny to read from the back of the room.

At least Powerpoint was mostly WYSIWYG (a faithful rendering of what you see on the screen, but don't expect that on printed copies), unlike Libreoffice which is WYSIAWYGIYLATARITM (what you see is almost what you get if you're lucky and there's an R in the month). Rendering a PPT in Libreoffice is one of the dark arts.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

morphy_richards

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:21 pm

DougieLawson wrote:There's a cruel irony about putting your thoughts down as bullet points. They are the bane. They show everything that is wrong with MS PowerPoint & Libreoffice (and IBM's FOILs (which, in theory, meant "film over incandescent lamp") presentation method that preceded it).
I WAS trying to be ironic :( ;) :) :D
DougieLawson wrote:WYSIAWYGIYLATARITM
I thought that was going to be a new word like ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM.
DougieLawson wrote:Rendering a PPT in Libreoffice is one of the dark arts.
Thank goodness, I thought it was just me!

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:51 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:WYSIAWYGIYLATARITM
I thought that was going to be a new word like ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM.
We could make it a new word with a bit of help from Susie Dent on @C4Countdown. "Tnetennba" became a new word that way.

I think I'm an an antiantidisestablishmentarian (which makes me a disestablishmentarian) and would be quite happy to see F.D. dropped from our coins and 26 folks in pointy hats summarily ejected from the House of Lords.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

marked

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 pm

DougieLawson wrote:We could make it a new word with a bit of help from Susie Dent on @C4Countdown. "Tnetennba" became a new word that way.
thought it was usually Jon on "8 cats does Countdown" who made up words...

morphy_richards

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote: ... and 26 folks in pointy hats summarily ejected from the House of Lords.
Did you read some Pratchett in the end then?

Altogether now;
A wizard's staff has got a knob on the end,
A knob on the end,
A knob on the end....

rpdom

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:39 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: ... and 26 folks in pointy hats summarily ejected from the House of Lords.
Did you read some Pratchett in the end then?

Altogether now;
A wizard's staff has got a knob on the end,
A knob on the end,
A knob on the end....
Do we need to start singing the Hedgehog song now?

toxibunny

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:54 pm

What were the 5 ways then?
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Return to “Off topic discussion”