ErvKosch

Re: Android 4.0 source is coming out soon

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Any guesses if the Android 4.0 (code-named "Ice Cream Sandwich") will be ported to the Raspberry Pi?

hajj_3

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:26 pm

I would assume so but you would need to wait until the raspberry pi has been out for a month or so i reckon.

tufty

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:36 pm

If it's "soon" like the honeycomb source, well, you might have to wait for the fabled "Model C". AFAIK, the latest version of Android that has a buildable source release is 2.3

From here, where the release of the various GPL bits (note - not enough to build Android) is discussed
Is this a just for now thing, and the rest of it will be opened, or will it be like Honeycomb where the parts that aren't GPL won't be released?
At the moment I don't have anything to say on that subject.

Scribe

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Quote from tufty on October 21, 2011, 13:36
If it's "soon" like the honeycomb source, well, you might have to wait for the fabled "Model C". AFAIK, the latest version of Android that has a buildable source release is 2.3

From here, where the release of the various GPL bits (note - not enough to build Android) is discussed
Is this a just for now thing, and the rest of it will be opened, or will it be like Honeycomb where the parts that aren't GPL won't be released?
At the moment I don't have anything to say on that subject.

I have a feeling this wont be the same situation. The main reason for previous source delays was to stop manufacturers from heavily customising the interface and only offer newer source to those who agreed with this.

I suspect google have come to various arrangements on that now but all a bit of speculation.

ErvKosch

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:29 pm

According to IT World its will come out when the first devices using it are released. A quote from the article:

"We plan to release the source for the recently-announced Ice Cream Sandwich soon, once it's available on devices," Morrill wrote.

Link: http://www.itworld.com/mobile-.....de-dessert

Scribe

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:41 pm

I suspect it's because they're still polishing it, in the same way it wasn't ready for displaying on Tablets at the recent devcon.

abishur

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:09 pm

LOL, someone else made a thread about this at almost the same moment you did I think! In theirs they do mention that the minimum system requirements is 256MB of RAM. So I don't think it would run very nicely on the r-pi :(
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “Off topic discussion”