abishur

Wonderware

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Really off topic here, but I was curious how many people on the forums have used a piece of industrial software called Wonderware (also called Intouch, and Invsys, and ArchestrA...)

I ask because I'm using it right now and fairly pissed off at this piece of tripe that beens forced on our client and was hoping people could join me in some jovial roasting :lol:

I.e.

Ever wonder how they got its name? Back when it was being designed all the beta testers were left scratching their heads going "I Wonder where all my data went?"
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mikronauts

Re: Wonderware

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:48 pm

That brings back memories...

I did more work with FactoryLink - in the mid-late 90's I wrote a real-time trending package add on for it, and surprised the FL folks as I figured out how to access the tag database and configure the pens on the fly :) WITHOUT a development key :) :) :)

I also did some work with Wonderware, and Fix Demacs (I may have the name slightly wrong on the last one).

Eventually I designed a real time database / SCADA package for the company I was working for at the time, initially for OS/2 which was later ported to NT 3.51 and 4.0. I used WxWindows for the gui widgets, it ported easily.

Also made a bunch of protocol converters, and drivers for the SCADA above.

Modbus & Modbus/TCP were easy, A&B DFK-1 was a bit painful due to escape sequences... the worst was CDC Type-1 RTU

abishur wrote:Really off topic here, but I was curious how many people on the forums have used a piece of industrial software called Wonderware (also called Intouch, and Invsys, and ArchestrA...)

I ask because I'm using it right now and fairly pissed off at this piece of tripe that beens forced on our client and was hoping people could join me in some jovial roasting :lol:

I.e.

Ever wonder how they got its name? Back when it was being designed all the beta testers were left scratching their heads going "I Wonder where all my data went?"
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

abishur

Re: Wonderware

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Now that Siemens owns Wonderware (kinda?) I wonder what will happen to the FactoryLink product line. They also recently(ish) bought up the ScadaPACK line of PLCs so it will be interesting to see what they choose to let rot and what they choose to integrate and expand on.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “Off topic discussion”