alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: One of *those* days...

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Wake up Liz. It's just a nightmare. BOO!

What a terrible day. Please don't go skiing today. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

obarthelemy

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm

I've fallen in love with my Galaxy Note's AMOLED screen. Blacks are black, not the weird glowing black of LCDs. And I much prefer to read white on black, or even green on black, than traditional black on white. Colors are very loud, but unless your a photo geek, that actually rather nice.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 is a tablet with a 7.7" (whoddathunk ?) AMOLED. That's the biggest AMOLED you can get right now. I think it would make a very good ereader on top of being a tablet. It has a very ladylike thinness to it too.

Maybe if I call Amazon, they'll gift me one ? :-p

abishur

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 pm

blarg, not quite as bad as Liz's day yesterday, but it did suck when I found out that rather than grab one of the 120vAC ->24V DC transformers, I grabbed a 48V DC -> 24V DC transformer... at a store that doesn't do refunds! :(
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

gritz

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:13 am

Been raining here for three months, pretty much.

My synchronised overlap-add pitchshifter is beginning to sound pretty good, but there's no way I'll be able to fit the algo onto a Spin FV-1 dsp chip.

*waves goodbye to four weeks of his life that he'll never see again* :lol:

Rabjerg

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:00 pm

My 03.07.2012 was mixed.
The good part was that my best friend had birthday.
The bad is that he passed away last Easter. (And didn't return 3 days later. :( )
I also managed to "save" the CMOS of my DSLR, witch i thought had 4 "hot" pixels, a little tinkering and the bad pixels was not to be seen.
And i fixed a case for my Raspi.

.... sooooo all in all was my day not that horrible.

jcg

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Apologies up front for the long off-topic post, perhaps it should be moved to its own thread.
liz: "Did you find anything worthwhile to do with it once jailbroken?"
How about using it as a multi-function accessory module connected over USB to the R-Pi?

Some links:

"On my kindle I am root"
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kindle-root,
"Kindle VNC Viewer"
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth ... p?t=150434,
Kindle sources:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200203720.

Using a Kindle with R-Pi in this way should be "a thing" with a HOW-TO.

The fact that the Kindle is merely a Linux box makes me wonder about sharing the Kindle's wifi capabilities with the R-Pi. Basically, the aim is to use the Kindle as a server to provide wifi, and as a client to display the R-Pi's screen. While we're at it, it might be a good idea to cluster the two to take advantage of the vacant cycles on the Kindle's CPU...

I'm just throwing all this out there. I haven't done anything more than read the above links and mess around with my Kindle a little, but I'll post somewhere on the forum if/when my R-Pi arrives and I make progress in any of the 3 (screen, wifi, cpu) areas. If anyone else has the time, an R-Pi, and wants to get cracking, this would be a profitable (in the community-utility sense) thing to get going in an organized way. At $80US a Kindle is about the cheapest screen out there, let alone screen+processor+wifi module. An R-Pi + Kindle system might not be any good for watching youtube videos or gaming, but you can certainly browse the web, read, and use emacs on it, and all that outside in the sun!

If all of the above were possible, I'd stick a battery, my Unicomp EnduraPro, a powered usb hub, a few bits of power supply hackery, the Kindle, and the R-Pi in a cheap briefcase and have the best possible laptop for 90% of what I do with a computer.

Return to “Off topic discussion”