epicatsup
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm

I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:

drgeoff
Posts: 12188
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm

epicatsup wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:
Why go to the trouble of somehow connecting it to the GPIO header when its USB-C plug can simply be inserted into the USB-C socket of the RPi400? The result will be exactly the same.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

LTolledo
Posts: 5846
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:30 pm

physically just placing over the GPIO? not connecting it?
it wont create magic smoke... as I have confirmed on my RPi4B :mrgreen:
Nintendo Switch PSU over RPi GPIO.jpg
Nintendo Switch PSU over RPi GPIO.jpg (180.01 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

however...if you want to use it to power the RPi400 (note: I did not tried this so there are no guarantees from me)
just connect the Nintendo switch PSU's USB-C plug the RPi's USB-C port....
dont forget to plug the AC side of the PSU.... otherwise the RPi400 wont start... :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 6524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 pm

epicatsup wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:
No, and No.
The GPIO header cannot be used to power the Pi400, there is a blocking switch.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

epicatsup
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 am

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:30 pm
physically just placing over the GPIO? not connecting it?
it wont create magic smoke... as I have confirmed on my RPi4B :mrgreen:
Nintendo Switch PSU over RPi GPIO.jpg


however...if you want to use it to power the RPi400 (note: I did not tried this so there are no guarantees from me)
just connect the Nintendo switch PSU's USB-C plug the RPi's USB-C port....
dont forget to plug the AC side of the PSU.... otherwise the RPi400 wont start... :D
:roll: :lol: Not quite what I meant,but ok

epicatsup
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:22 am

davidcoton wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 pm
epicatsup wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:
No, and No.
The GPIO header cannot be used to power the Pi400, there is a blocking switch.
i was short on time so i didnt have time to say this but what i ment to say was "by bypassing the USB-C power diode"

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 6524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:06 am

epicatsup wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:22 am
davidcoton wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 pm
epicatsup wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:
No, and No.
The GPIO header cannot be used to power the Pi400, there is a blocking switch.
i was short on time so i didnt have time to say this but what i ment to say was "by bypassing the USB-C power diode"
Well, if you miss out critical bits of the question, the answers you get will be inappropriate, if not wrong.
Please don't waste our time like that, put ALL the information you know to be relevant in your FIRST question.

Revised answer: IDK. Try it at your own risk. Have a camera ready to capture any escaping magic smoke.

[offtopic]
I once saw an experiment to determine how much magic smoke was in a 741 op-amp, by applying +/- 30V power. The answer -- lots. Then some. :o :shock:
[/offtopic]
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 5443
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:07 am

Waste time, it's been a fun thread :-)

Try it?

It will power an original Pi4 with full 10" USB-C Picade setup from the USB-C socket on the Pi4.

It will knot power it from the Picade additional USB-C socket there for convenience (I think as its on the side needed to access it) on the PicadeX hat.

It does power the Pi4* using a USB to USB-C cable, long 3m Aliexpress Special and even a 5A Purple tabbed Huawei one that works with nothing so far, especially most chargers) using either of the three USB out on the Switch caddy.

*it didn't provide enough power to power the 10" screen with the Picade setup, it tried but kept loosing the screen as the screens board turned off.
Pi4 was fine though.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14138
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 pm

epicatsup wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:
I guess the intended switch supply has a type C USB port?!
if so, what does the supply state the output voltage is? does it say 5V DC? if not or nothing it mentioned it isn't certain the supply will deliver 5V, it might try to negotiate a higher voltage, which will fail with a PI4, theoretically the supply should then switch back to 5V, but that is theory, not certainty, I would not risk it.
Simply buy the official supply, its cheap and works well.

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 5443
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 pm
epicatsup wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I just thought of putting a Nintendo switch charger on GPIO of rpi400. Would it create magic smoke efficiently :?: :twisted:
I guess the intended switch supply has a type C USB port?!
if so, what does the supply state the output voltage is? does it say 5V DC? if not or nothing it mentioned it isn't certain the supply will deliver 5V, it might try to negotiate a higher voltage, which will fail with a PI4, theoretically the supply should then switch back to 5V, but that is theory, not certainty, I would not risk it.
Simply buy the official supply, its cheap and works well.
USB-C
5v 1.5A (used for charging joycons)
and 15V 2.6A for charging and powering the Switch in it's dock.
Hence it is the PSU for the dock.

The Switch itself will happily run from a 5V 3A supply directly, it quite likes the Pi supply.
the Switch Dock on the other hand does stuff with the supply as needed with some gubbins on the Docks circuitboard.

The Pi will only see the 5v supply. A bit underpowered for a modern Pi though. 2.5A at a minimum iirc* with no USB, 3.0A for general use.

I wonder is epicatsup tried it 6months ago.

*as stated by RPi and the adaptor for using the older Pi3 supplies.

LTolledo
Posts: 5846
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:48 am

Lemme see....hmmm

Nintendo Switch PSU: USD 15.00
Official RPF PSU for RPi4B: USD 8.00

if $8.00 is "more expensive" than $15.00 then I give up! :(
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

cleverca22
Posts: 4402
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 am

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:48 am
Lemme see....hmmm

Nintendo Switch PSU: USD 15.00
Official RPF PSU for RPi4B: USD 8.00

if $8.00 is "more expensive" than $15.00 then I give up! :(
but if you happen to already have a switch psu, then thats comparing $0 to $8

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14138
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 am

The true cost is the cost of buying a new RPI400 if the Nintendo PSU blows up the RPI400, which has a non-zero chance, so is the risk worth $8 ?

cleverca22
Posts: 4402
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Can you put a Nintendo switch psu over RPI400 GPIO?

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:35 am

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 am
The true cost is the cost of buying a new RPI400 if the Nintendo PSU blows up the RPI400, which has a non-zero chance, so is the risk worth $8 ?
the switch psu uses usb-c to feed power into the dock
the switch and dock then use usb-c to exchange usb3.0 and hdmi

id bet that all of those parts are following the usb-c specs, and shouldnt blow up any other usb-c device following the specs

Return to “Off topic discussion”