Alex_Landherr

Tips on a Good FFF/FDM 3D Printer [SOLVED]

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 pm

I need tips on a FFF/FDM 3D printer which is in the 450-500 USD price range and ships to Sweden. Preferably one that needs as little assembly as possible and isn’t some cheap “blank printer” with some brand name slapped on it that’s no different from any other cheap thing.

I’m only interested in PLA filament, so no fancy hardware needed. I’ve looked around and am having a hard time finding a good model.

Is there someone that can help?
Last edited by Alex_Landherr on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helpful answers are appreciated.
I usually respond to Tweets directed at me.
JWST is the Sagrada Família of spacecrafts.

3D Printer: Original Prusa Mini+

• Raspberry Pi OS
  • Windows 10
Programming Languages:
  1. Python
  2. Java

ejolson

Re: Tips on a Good FFF/FDM 3D Printer

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
sorry but this post is too off topic, will delete later
I think people used to make their own 3D printers with a Pi as the controller. That would definitely be different than a low quality imported one.

Heater

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:53 pm

I would have thought that many people using the Pi are into making things. Many people who are into making things now a days are also into 3D printers. Also likely using those 3D printers form their Pi and/or using the 3D printer to make parts for their Pi based projects.

So the questions sounds quite on topic. For the "Off topic" section of the Pi forums.

If you see what I mean.
Last edited by Heater on Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

scruss

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 pm

In that price range, you've pretty much got the Prusa Mini (made in and ships from Czechia) or perhaps the Creality CR6. Both have some assembly, though perhaps Prusa offer an assembled option. The Prusa's the better printer, but has quite a small print bed. Prusa's tech support is amazing. Creality make a good product, but the tech support's from community users only. If there's a local Creality dealer, maybe best to buy one assembled from there.

A Raspberry Pi 3B+ running OctoPrint makes a great controller for either. You'll pretty much need to dedicate a Raspberry Pi to it: OctoPrint creates some huge processes, and trying to run it + Desktop is a fight not worth trying
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Alex_Landherr

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:54 pm

scruss wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 pm
In that price range, you've pretty much got the Prusa Mini (made in and ships from Czechia) or perhaps the Creality CR6. Both have some assembly, though perhaps Prusa offer an assembled option. The Prusa's the better printer, but has quite a small print bed. Prusa's tech support is amazing. Creality make a good product, but the tech support's from community users only. If there's a local Creality dealer, maybe best to buy one assembled from there.

A Raspberry Pi 3B+ running OctoPrint makes a great controller for either. You'll pretty much need to dedicate a Raspberry Pi to it: OctoPrint creates some huge processes, and trying to run it + Desktop is a fight not worth trying
Thanks! I will go for a Prusa then.
Helpful answers are appreciated.
I usually respond to Tweets directed at me.
JWST is the Sagrada Família of spacecrafts.

3D Printer: Original Prusa Mini+

• Raspberry Pi OS
  • Windows 10
Programming Languages:
  1. Python
  2. Java

Imperf3kt

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Alex_Landherr wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:53 pm
mahjongg wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
sorry but this post is too off topic, will delete later
Too of topic?
Well this is a raspberry pi forum, not a general technology forum.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Heater

Re: Tips on a Good FFF/FDM 3D Printer [SOLVED]

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 am

Imperf3kt wrote: Well this is a raspberry pi forum, not a general technology forum.
Except see here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=314122&p=1879311#p1879311

I see this as no more off topic than someone asking what motor driver board to use with their Pi based project or tons of other peripheral things.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 am

Heater wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 am
Imperf3kt wrote: Well this is a raspberry pi forum, not a general technology forum.
Except see here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=314122&p=1879311#p1879311

I see this as no more off topic than someone asking what motor driver board to use with their Pi based project or tons of other peripheral things.
That's true, but in this case there was zero mention of a Pi and the wording doesn't suggest the OP intends to use one either, but I see your point. I mean, we allowed a thread about screwdrivers because somebody one day might use one to tighten a pi case together, possibly one they 3D printed...

For what it's worth, I use a cocoon create touch which is based on the PRUSA I3 design and looks very similar to the Duplicator i3 by Wanhao.

Its ultimately just a rebranded version of the Monoprice Select Plus.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Maker- ... ad3a82cfd4

It requires minimal assembly (8 bolts and a couple of wires and four rubber feet.)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:50 pm

decided not to delete the thread:

scruss

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
For what it's worth, I use a cocoon create touch which is based on the PRUSA I3 design and looks very similar to the Duplicator i3 by Wanhao.
You can get good solid results out of those i3 clones, as long as the frame doesn't wobble. They've got the direct extruder drive (easy filament change, decent chance of using flexible filaments) and the dual Z-motors for better layer quality. A few things that Prusa have brought in since then for the i3 Mk3S(+) are:
  • reliable automatic bed levelling — you don't need to level the bed very often, but it's kind of a pain when you do. The Mk3S senses the bed height for every print
  • removable flexible print bed — these are just magic: wait for the prints to cool a bit (especially PETG), pop the print bed off, flex it, and your prints come off cleanly
  • quiet printing — whether this is clever code or just the stepper drivers they use, real Prusas are super quiet
True, they're 3× the price of a clone …
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

thagrol

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Its ultimately just a rebranded version of the Monoprice Select Plus.
If Monoprice have done the same with that as they did with the Select Mini, that's rebranded from some else too (a Malyan in the case of the select mini)

Personally, I'm getting decent results from a Geeetech A20M tho0guh the 2 in 1 out mixing hot end can be interesting at times. Probably not as good as a Prussa but also not as expensive.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Return to “Off topic discussion”