RaspbianUser1

What search engine do you use?

Wed May 12, 2021 12:44 am

I personally have started taking privacy more extreme so I switched to DuckDuckGo.

What search engine do you use, and why?

I expect a lot of googles, and my immediate question is, do you not value your privacy?
Running with a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB with Raspberry Pi OS with MATE Desktop
Why not overclock, push some more performance out of your computer!
Think before you delete something a stranger on the internet told you to.

Imperf3kt

Re: What search engine do you use?

Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 am

Google, Bing, and very very rarely, duckduckgo.
"privacy" that's a concept we lost when the internet began.
Your ISP knows more about you than any Google analytics ever will.

For those paranoid that the information will be used to influence my buying habits and political stance, please don't insult my intelligence. An ad or suggested news article doesn't make up my mind or rule my life, I do.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 12, 2021 6:31 am

DuckDuckGo, except on my phone where I'm near forced to use Google with it being Android.

Your ISP could potentially profile your data depending on Ts&Cs in the contract, and DNS lookups will give you a lot of information, but they generally won't be able to see inside HTTPS requests for exactly which subdomain or page on a server you are requesting. With so much hosted one AWS and similar cloud services, seeing TCP sessions to one of those servers tells them very little about the content you are looking at.
Google Analytics gives the site host a load more information about how you browse around their site, how long you look at each page, etc, and it is up to Google how much additional information it can extract from that data when combined with browsing between sites. Whether that information has value beyond being able to target ads is debatable, but with the stock market valuation of Google it seems that they seem to make it profitable.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

LTolledo

Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am

the yellow pages? (let your fingers do the searching....) :D

and does not infringe on your privacy.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

6by9

Wed May 12, 2021 10:09 am

LTolledo wrote:

Does it still exist? And is it still relevant?
Same as the phone book, I thought they had gone online only as the cost of printing them all was prohibitive for the amount of use they got.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RaspbianUser1

Wed May 12, 2021 10:32 am

DuckDuckGo has loads of nice features which I use on a daily basis.

Check websites to see if they are down
!bangs
Advertising can be turned off
Data clearing
Custom settings even down to the font
Cloud settings transfer

Also at least on iOS duckduckgo has a mobile app, which can be selected as your default web browser so that everything uses it, don’t know about Android.

I think the main benefit I find the most amazing is the no ads plus tracking since when using google, clicking on the suggested/ads doesn’t allow it to work for me since my pi-hole blocks ads.google or whatever. In other words, google tracks you and looks at what websites your clicking on and using it and selling that data

RaspbianUser1

Wed May 12, 2021 10:33 am

LTolledo wrote:

Not a lot of fun when you aren’t looking for a plumber :P

RaspbianUser1

Wed May 12, 2021 10:35 am

Pihole is my DNS, which to my knowledge means no DNS tracking or my ISP being nosy as much

thatchunkylad198966

Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Google, I suck.
tried "bing" didn't like it.

RaspbianUser1

Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm
Google, I suck.
tried "bing" didn't like it.
Give DuckDuckGo a try for a week

Imperf3kt

Wed May 12, 2021 9:33 pm

6by9 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:31 am
DuckDuckGo, except on my phone where I'm near forced to use Google with it being Android.
How are you forced? You can always install any other browser of your choice.
I've used Opera, Firefox, Safari and several other popular Web browsers on my Android phones over the years. You aren't forced to use anything just because it's preinstalled and cannot be uninstaller.

Alas, Google knows where you are 24/7 and what shops you visit, how long you are there, what roads you drive on... So it may be poitlntless using a different browser when your phone itself is sending gps data to Google.

john-atwork

Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 pm

I'm at about 60/40 DDG and Google.

If you want to get fuzzy about the definition of a search engine I use youtube quite a bit too.

HvdW

Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Try startpage.com
It uses the Google search and filters.

If you want to get rid of the Google ads on top then add uBlock to your browser.

If you want privacy then don't use internet.
You and I are being traced and filed to some extent.
Probably you and I are not of interest except for targetting ads.
Don't worry, it is like it is.
Accept it and don't fight it.
Who knows knows
Who doesn't doesn't

kerry_s

Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 pm

duckduck

Heater

Wed May 12, 2021 10:53 pm

HvdW wrote:
That is possibly the saddest, most miserable, depressing thing I have heard anyone say this year.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Wed May 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:53 pm
HvdW wrote:
That is possibly the saddest, most miserable, depressing thing I have heard anyone say this year.
It's not really a bad thing, why is it worth fighting it.
Do you walk into a store and before you leave demand that you be removed from the video surveillance footage?

Genuinely curious why some people think it's so bad that Google and other companies know what you search and are interested in.
Okay, so they make profit off it, big whoop. Good on them for finding a source of income that literally costs you nothing.

I can only think of one reason why people get so worried what Google and other companies know about their browsing history, and that's people who regularly do illegal activities on the internet to which I say good on Google for monitoring you and reporting your actions to the appropriate government agencies.

Gavinmc42

Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 am

I can only think of one reason why people get so worried what Google and other companies know about their browsing history, and that's people who regularly do illegal activities on the internet to which I say good on Google for monitoring you and reporting your actions to the appropriate government agencies.
Nothing wrong with global corporations spying on citizens in other counties and then calling in the relevant Counter Terrorism Police when someone on social media questions Government health figures from aged care homes?

Questioning Government on social media is now an illegal activity on the internet?
Talking about arranging a protest against gov actions is also an offence?
Nice of Google to give everyone a tracking app in updates, makes it easier for the Karen's to find you.

What is now the purpose of those Government Agencies, even the US post office now spies on citizens?

I agree people should be accountable for their actions, but that also includes those people in government and corporations.
Search Engines use AI, how can you trust the AI now?
How do you make the AI accountable?
Accountable to who? The corporation, the government, the people?

Duckduckgo app for Android or in Brave on PC.
Not sure what happened to Yippy?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

RaspbianUser1

Thu May 13, 2021 12:38 am

Brave is still chromium based to my knowledge, unaware if the devs removed the googled aspects of it

Heater

Thu May 13, 2021 4:50 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
There is an old adage that "knowledge is power" See: "Scientia potentia est": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientia_potentia_est

The likes of Google clearly have access to massive amounts of knowledge about you. The question then is: Are you happy with an entity like Google having so much power over you?

Are you happy that knowledge can find its way to all kind of other outfits whose intentions may not be so wholesome? Oppressive regimes for example.

Imperf3kt

Thu May 13, 2021 5:03 am

Heater wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:50 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
There is an old adage that "knowledge is power" See: "Scientia potentia est": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientia_potentia_est

The likes of Google clearly have access to massive amounts of knowledge about you. The question then is: Are you happy with an entity like Google having so much power over you?

Are you happy that knowledge can find its way to all kind of other outfits whose intentions may not be so wholesome? Oppressive regimes for example.
This is a genuine issue, but again, what info do they have on me? And do you really expect Google to side with oppressive regimes?
My browsing habits, the websites I visit, how long I use them, the stuff I typically buy, etc. All trivial information. None of that can influence what I decide to do with my life or how other people perceive me, I still control that with my own actions and decisions.

In some countries, yes, it is an offence to speak out against the government. Don't like it? Do something about it legally.
But what I was referring to, specifically, was more along the lines of those who use the dark Web. People seeking illegal drugs, human trafficking, adult material featuring minors, pirates etc.

Heater

Thu May 13, 2021 5:20 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
In some countries, yes, it is an offence to speak out against the government. Don't like it? Do something about it legally.
Like what exactly? If you can't even speak your mind what is left?

Imperf3kt

Thu May 13, 2021 5:33 am

Heater wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:20 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Like what exactly? If you can't even speak your mind what is left?
To be honest, I don't know, but it doesn't have much to do with what search engine you use.

Gavinmc42

Thu May 13, 2021 10:58 am

I still control that with my own actions and decisions.
Which is manipulated by those that use all the information they have on you and others.
Who controls the dark web? The same ones who control everything including our perceptions?
With so many Think Tanks and such a huge amount of information, why are things getting worse not better?
Have they got their models wrong or is everything running to plan?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Heater

Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
None of that can influence what I decide to do with my life or how other people perceive me, I still control that with my own actions and decisions.
Ah, you still have a belief in your Free Will.

I don't want to fly off into a debate about Free Will vs Determinism but unless you have rigorously determined the correctness of everything you think say or do from the axioms of mathematics and laws of Physics then I suspect most of what you think has come at you from elsewhere with no logical basis.

For a starter, why are you thinking everything in English?

Imperf3kt

Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
None of that can influence what I decide to do with my life or how other people perceive me, I still control that with my own actions and decisions.
Ah, you still have a belief in your Free Will.

I don't want to fly off into a debate about Free Will vs Determinism but unless you have rigorously determined the correctness of everything you think say or do from the axioms of mathematics and laws of Physics then I suspect most of what you think has come at you from elsewhere with no logical basis.

For a starter, why are you thinking everything in English?
Why do you assume I think everything in English? I know three languages, English is only my main/original language.

So you think that just because Google analytics decides that I'd probably buy a certain product and shows me an ad about it, that I'm going to rush out and buy it?
I asked people not to insult my intelligence. If said product in the ad was of interest to me, I'd look at the product, decide if I needed it, if I could afford it and if there were better alternatives. I'm not a mindless moron who's actions are dictated by the ads he ignores on a website.

Return to “Off topic discussion”