W. H. Heydt

Re: USB 3.1 Type C DP ALT-MODE.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm

That would require all new silicon. Note that the Pi4B only has USB 3.0 ports.

It is probably too late for feature requests for the Pi5B. Since it is nearly two years since the release of the Pi4B, the Pi5B SoC is probably either deep in the design phase (to the point of there being at least preliminary versions in silicon), or in testing and board design by now. Therefore, this feature request is something that *could* be looked at for a Pi6B, if it hasn't be eliminated from consideration already. At best, you *might* see such a feature in about 5 years.

The fundamental question is... How many Pi users would benefit from/make use of/actually want this feature? That assessment will be made by the RPT. If it came down to me, I'd say it wasn't needed.

And...in before the wheels, sandwiches, pink ponies, unicorns...and the lock.

cleverca22

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 pm

in theory, you could do it without any changes to the bcm2711

you just need to put an hdmi->dp converter chip, between the soc and the usb-c port, there are chips that do that and handle the usb-c stuff too

the problem, is that you then permanently loose an hdmi output, and increase the cost of the pcb for everybody, and force them to buy a dp->hdmi to re-convert it back, if they want to drive 2 hdmi displays

rpdom

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am

I would probably use that if it happened. I have a spare USB-C to HDMI + USB3.0 + USB-C adaptor I used to use with my previous laptop. My current one doesn't have USB-C.
Unreadable squiggle

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:04 am

rpdom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am
I would probably use that if it happened. I have a spare USB-C to HDMI + USB3.0 + USB-C adaptor I used to use with my previous laptop. My current one doesn't have USB-C.

The OP asked this in January 2019 and Post Locked:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=230787&p=1413671#p1413671

The real point of his posting seems to be free adverting his PoS Software, very underhand :roll:
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

davidcoton

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:36 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
The real point of his posting seems to be free adverting his PoS Software, very underhand :roll:
If you marketed certain systems for which the Pi was well suited, but not ideal, would you not lobby for the features you desire?

[sarcasm]
I hear David Cameron is looking for a new marketing job....
[/sarcasm]
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

KeithMck

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:45 am

Totally a non starter for me, as I can't use touchscreens, (they just don't work for me, literally!). :(

Even the 2x HDMI ports aren't used by me, I only need one monitor, (& lots of people run headless!). ;)

However, more speed & ram than the RPi3 was definitely useful, for nearly everyone. :mrgreen:

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:32 am

davidcoton wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:36 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
If you marketed certain systems for which the Pi was well suited, but not ideal, would you not lobby for the features you desire?

[sarcasm]
I hear David Cameron is looking for a new marketing job....
[/sarcasm]

The is a certain entitlement from people like the OP that what they suggest should be implemented come hell or high water, that is why he has re-posted the exact same question, which was fully answered.

Does he also contact HP, Lenovo, Huawei, Asus etcetera etcetera to suggest to their hardware departments they should include features ? I very much suspect those would end up in the not worth reading pile.

There are other SBCs out there he could of configured his software to support.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

drgeoff

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:06 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:32 am
The is a certain entitlement from people like the OP ....
I would insert "unwarranted expectation of" between "certain" and "entitlement".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:20 pm

Between this thread and the previous one, the OP does appear to have a one track mind... Still, there are solutions within the Pi ecosystem to get the OP exactly what he wants...if he's willing to pay for it.

If he needs to processing power of the Pi4B, use a CM4 with his own design carrier board with the power handling and video interfaces he wants.

If (as he claims) a Pi0W has the processing power to do what he wants, then he could either do something similar with a CM1, or he could go through the Element 14 "custom Pi" program and have them build a modified Pi0W to do what he is after.

Granted, none of these solutions is as inexpensive as an off-the-shelf Pi, but they can be tailored *exactly* to what he says he wants.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am

ViewTouch wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:21 pm
[moderator, remove the spamlink in your contact or your two week ban will become permanent, and all your posts will be deleted, we do NOT condone underhanded spamming like this!]
Does anyone else see the Catch-22 with this?

The OP can't login, can't reach their profile, can't remove their link to their Point-of-Sale website yet the moderator with the overly active banhammer threatens them with a permanent ban when there's the square root of naff all that can be done to resolve the conflict.

Someone needs to slap Mahjonng with a month ban until he learns not to ban people without giving them a chance to defend themselves.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Off topic discussion”