scruss

Re: What was your 1st game?

Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm

That would have been Dungeon on the school's Commodore PET. It's a somewhat crude CRPG/roguelike, but considering it's written in BASIC and runs on an 8K machine, it's not bad.

You can play it in your browser thanks to the Internet Archive: Dungeon

Note that the anticipation-building construction of the maze at the start just seems annoying now.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Must have been a game running on my KIM-1, the first working computer I owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0Hn2ZcW-s

Probably it was the game of NIM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim

On a system with just 1K RAM, and six seven segment displays as output, you had to program in 6502 Assembler, not an ideal platform for games.
But I remember programming an organ, a clock, and scrolling text displays.

scruss

Sat May 23, 2020 2:57 pm

mahjongg wrote:
On a system with just 1K RAM, and six seven segment displays as output, you had to program in 6502 Assembler, not an ideal platform for games.
A friend of mine made an awful lot of money writing a game - possibly the first commercial computer game - for the KIM-1: Microchess. Yes, it doesn't play a good game of chess (better than me, though) and it doesn't play a fast game of chess, but it does it in 1K. He went on to fund and publish a little program called VisiCalc … but that's a different game.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Heater

Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 pm

Now I recall something odd...

When I was 10 there were no computers to be had. I had seen them in movies and read about them in magazines.

So my first "computer game" was making a model of a computer core store memory cell. It consisted of chopped up nails bent into toroids with wires thread through them. All attached to a plank of wood. It was a few thousand time bigger than the real thing. The idea was to show it to people so that I could explain how computer memory worked.

Today I have no recollection of how I came up with that crazy idea. I had no idea about programs or what a computer actually did really. But somehow I had the notion of zeros and ones and using magnetic fields to remember which is what. Always had a fascination with magnets and motors and such.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

petersondillard

Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 pm

Duck Hunt :D

When I was a kid I played it with my brother all day

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 24, 2020 11:47 pm

scruss wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:57 pm
mahjongg wrote:
A friend of mine made an awful lot of money writing a game - possibly the first commercial computer game - for the KIM-1: Microchess. Yes, it doesn't play a good game of chess (better than me, though) and it doesn't play a fast game of chess, but it does it in 1K. He went on to fund and publish a little program called VisiCalc … but that's a different game.
Yeah, I remember.

I wonder of the famous ZX81 game "1K chess" uses the same AI engine, although the KIM-1 used a 6502 and the ZX81 used a Z80 CPU.
I seem to remember that microchess was ported to many other systems, so it could be true.
Only 1K chess used a graphics display, which used a sizeable chunk of the ZX81's 1K of RAM. the program itself was only something like 650 Bytes!

Return to “Off topic discussion”