cspan

January 14, 2020 Computer Happenings

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm

3 noteworthy (to me) things happened today, only 1 of which I knew was coming.

1) Windows 7 End of Life.

I have a 9+ yr old Win 7 tower. Wasn't real concerned; I knew this was coming. Have been extremely picky about Windows Updates since back in the day when they tried to trick people like me into upgrading to Windows 10. This habit was only reinforced when certain Windows Updates (1903 comes to mind) went badly awry for some folks. Worries over my PC getting pwnd were not much higher coming into this week than any other ... until (see #3)

2. Microsoft announces "huge" cryptographic security vulnerability, credits USA's NSA with discovery of weakness in crypt32.dll file, in almost all versions of Windows for last couple decades.

3. I've been thinking about slapping Raspberry Pi Desktop for x86 on my Win 7 tower as dual boot, so today I re-booted to try to catch the Dell F2 or F12 window to look around at boot options and so forth. I had probably last re-booted a week ago. Well, as the thing shuts down, my PC says "Please wait while Windows updates install ... Please do not turn off your computer". [Note, this is the screen image I'm used to seeing when I intentionally install an update]

Whoa, I thought, I didn't request any Windows Updates! I'm not on auto-update! What's it doing?? Of course I'm reluctant to stop it.

Well it reboots and the screen that gives you the F2 and F12 option? That goes by so fast I can't click it. Then the Updates screen appears again. Please wait. I wait more and more. Then, "Cleaning up". Finally I go and practice guitar a bit. When I come back and dive into Windows Update history, there's nothing listed for today. Curiouser and curiouser!

Well that's all. Wonder if anyone else had a weird experience like that today?

I've long been turned off by the notion that "you don't own your computer", the shift toward taking control, ownership, and so forth away from the user, but this was a bit concerning. Especially on a day like today (see #1 and #2).
Last edited by cspan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

trejan

Re: January 14, 2020 Happenings

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm

cspan wrote:
Finally I go and practice guitar a bit. When I come back and dive into Windows Update history, there's nothing listed for today. Curiouser and curiouser!
It isn't that strange. You applied an update at some point in the past and it did the second stage cleanup when you restarted. Some updates need part of it applied at startup because files are in use when the OS is running.
Last edited by trejan on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 pm

If you have x64 hardware then I would recommend a true 64-bit OS. Debian with the Raspberry Pi Desktop is 32-bit userland.

Linux Mint has always been a favorite of mine. It's based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian, so most things will operate in a similar fashion to Raspbian. I'm also fond of Bunsenlabs Linux, but it is a very different user experience. BL-Linux is a lightweight Debian distro with the Openbox window manager, but not a full desktop.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

cspan

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 pm

trejan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm
cspan wrote:
Finally I go and practice guitar a bit. When I come back and dive into Windows Update history, there's nothing listed for today. Curiouser and curiouser!
It isn't that strange. You applied an update at some point in the past and it did the second stage cleanup when you restarted. Some updates need part of it applied at startup because files are in use when the OS is running.
Perhaps, but it did more than second stage cleanup. It started applying some kind of update just before rebooting. Then, after restarting, it worked on it a bit more, then it went into that cleanup phase.

Without giving too much away, my last manually applied update has been several boots ago too. So to see a cleanup now, I inferred it was not associated with a prior update, but something that happened today.

GlowInTheDark

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 am

None of the so-called "happenings" mentioned in this thread have any effect on me whatsoever.

But you forgot the most important thing that happened on Jan 14, and which we commemorate today.

On this day, in 1915, Mark Goodson was born in Sacramento, CA.

We owe so much to Mark, over the many years he was active in TV production.

Heater

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:07 am

GlowInTheDark,

Mark Goodson - You mean to tell me that one man was responsible for all that garbage TV and billions of hours of wasted human life?

I would never have guessed.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

cspan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
If you have x64 hardware then I would recommend a true 64-bit OS. Debian with the Raspberry Pi Desktop is 32-bit userland.

Linux Mint has always been a favorite of mine. It's based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian, so most things will operate in a similar fashion to Raspbian. I'm also fond of Bunsenlabs Linux, but it is a very different user experience. BL-Linux is a lightweight Debian distro with the Openbox window manager, but not a full desktop.
I appreciate you making that point - thanks. I've actually installed Mint before on my prior tower desktop, dual boot with WinXP. IIRC, at the time, I falsely believed that the computer was dying due to some erratic behavior, so I figured there was nothing to lose. Turned out it was just my monitor dying. After that fix, I had a couple tower PCs going for a time, and I got a flavor for Mint. (ooh, pun not intended, but landed!). Within about a year that dual-boot computer actually did die, though, blown capacitor on motherboard.

My other Linux experience was that around 2012 Dell offered a $300 laptop pre-loaded with Ubuntu. That it was preloaded gave me a bit of confidence in terms of things working, so I bought it - and still own it. After about 4.5 years, the laptop's weak hardware (2 GB RAM, Celeron processor) ground to a halt when trying to run the subsequent LTS updates of Ubuntu. As it became a paperweight, I decided "nothing left to lose" and installed Raspberry Pi Desktop on there, and it was as zippy as ever! I've been using it with RPD since.

cspan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:45 am

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 am
None of the so-called "happenings" mentioned in this thread have any effect on me whatsoever.

But you forgot the most important thing that happened on Jan 14, and which we commemorate today.

On this day, in 1915, Mark Goodson was born in Sacramento, CA.

We owe so much to Mark, over the many years he was active in TV production.
I think you are interpreting "Off Topic" a little too broadly. :)

Maybe I should re-title my thread.

GlowInTheDark

Re: January 14, 2020 Computer Happenings

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 am

The primary use of my shiny new Pi4 is to watch old game shows (Primarily, G-T shows). The Pi4 is the first model of the RPi that has sufficient CPU and RAM to watch TV via browser. (Note: You may be inclined to nit-pick this statement; don't bother!)

So, Mark Goodson is quite relevant to my use of the Pi.

Note: I've actually made the observation that as the Pi has gotten more and more powerful, the uses to which it is put have become more and more plebeian. The early models were put to much more exotic and interesting uses, being as how they were pretty limited in terms of RAM/CPU; you couldn't run a (real) browser, so you couldn't do the usual, plebeian, tasks that "normal" people do with their PCs. Now, that's all changed...

Heater

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 am

GlowInTheDark,
The primary use of my shiny new Pi4 is to watch old game shows
I think there are some things we do that we should never admit to in public.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 am

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 am
Note: I've actually made the observation that as the Pi has gotten more and more powerful, the uses to which it is put have become more and more plebeian. The early models were put to much more exotic and interesting uses, being as how they were pretty limited in terms of RAM/CPU; you couldn't run a (real) browser, so you couldn't do the usual, plebeian, tasks that "normal" people do with their PCs. Now, that's all changed...
I find the opposite, the extra power has enabled me to complete a project that has been giving me headaches since I first began it on an earlier model Pi.

A Pi Zero will also soon control some custom made solar powered LED lights and the hatch in my roof so I can close it via my mobile phone while I'm at work in the event it starts raining.

The possibilities are still there, they're just being overwhelmed by new options that have opened up to people.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

GlowInTheDark

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 am

I find this to be true as well; the extra power has enabled me to complete a project that has been giving me headaches since I first began it on an earlier model Pi.

Me, too. As described above.

cspan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
FWIW both my old computers (ages 7 and 9) run 64-bit hardware. The laptop is the one that I have RPD on, but haven't experienced any issues. Not that I drive that computer hard - I don't, it's for travel. But I wonder what I'd have to be doing to notice problems from the discrepancy between the 32-bit "userland" and the 64-bit architecture.

I need to educate myself on this, so would welcome pointers. Am searching the forum now for info on this.

Return to “Off topic discussion”