jahboater

Re: balenaEtcher RUNNING ON a pi4?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:04 am

tinker2much wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 pm
I continue to get suggestions from the balena forum, and (with frequent interruptions from non-computer life) I continue to try to follow them.

There is such a familiar feel to this - you know that one simple suggestion might make the whole darn thing work, and you keep hoping that the current one is THE ONE. But you never know how many "that wasn't it"s you have to go through first.

It's a good thing that I'm basically an optimist.
You could just give up and use the cp command.
or

unzip -p *.zip >/dev/sda

so simple and quick, you could have done it hundreds of times while struggling to install etcher ....

jj_0

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:18 am

Clearly by now it's more about the journey than the destination. ;)

jcyr

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm

jahboater wrote:
unzip -p *.zip >/dev/sda
Who needs a desktop when you're always forced into a terminal windows? I wish folks would stop referring to shell commands where clearly the expressed desire if for desktop app.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

jj_0

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:00 pm

jcyr wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm
jahboater wrote:
unzip -p *.zip >/dev/sda
Who needs a desktop when you're always forced into a terminal windows? I wish folks would stop referring to shell commands where clearly the expressed desire if for desktop app.
Don't take me too seriously, but there is a desktop app for writing an image to an SD-card.

But i fully understand why @tinker2much wants to finish what he started.
Last edited by jj_0 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinker2much

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 am

The Etcher build process requires the packaging tool "fpm" - see https://fpm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/. So far, I've been unable to get fpm installed on my Pi4.

fpm is written in ruby, which is OK because ruby is already installed on the pi.

The fpm installation instructions https://fpm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing.html suggest that it may be necessary to install certain prerequisites, and on Debian they suggest doing:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ruby ruby-dev rubygems build-essential
But when I do that I get errors regarding rubygems:

sudo apt-get install ruby ruby-dev rubygems build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.6).
ruby is already the newest version (1:2.5.1+b1).
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 rubygems : Depends: ruby1.8 but it is not installable
            Recommends: ruby1.8-dev but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
If this had worked, supposedly I could just install fpm using the ruby gem tool:

gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc fpm
Does anyone here have any idea how to get rubygems to install, so I can then get fpm to install, so I can then (I hope) get Etcher to build?

futurejones

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 am

I have been working on and have successful builds of Etcher on Pi4 Raspbian Buster. Now working on packaging into .deb package. Hope to have it finished today. :D
etcher-raspberrypi4.png
etcher-raspberrypi4.png (205.86 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

futurejones

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 am

Install package now available - https://github.com/futurejones/balena-e ... ag/v1.5.63

wget https://github.com/futurejones/balena-etcher-arm/releases/download/v1.5.63/balena-etcher-electron_1.5.63_Raspbian_Buster_armhf.deb

sudo apt-get install ./balena-etcher-electron_1.5.63_Raspbian_Buster_armhf.deb
Last edited by futurejones on Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinker2much

Re: balenaEtcher RUNNING ON a pi4! [WORKING]

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Please provide the steps needed to build this successfully. I will provide all the steps I've done once I'm successful.

I'm sure there are others who would want to repeat this themselves.

tinker2much

Re: balenaEtcher RUNNING ON a pi4!

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you for your enthusiasm, but I've removed the [WORKING] from the title of my reply, and I hope this will change the banner for the whole topic back the way it was. I would be happy to change the banner - on a thread I started - once I see the steps posted and several parties have done the build themselves and it's documented and repeatable.

tinker2much

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 pm

I did get rubygems installed (see this side post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=256796, which did allow me to get fpm installed, which allowed me to complete the Etcher build process, actually resulting in a .deb file.

I'm having some issues getting that to install, but much progress has been made!

mandesgu

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm

I managed to make it installed on PI4 but it failed to flash a Windows 10 ISO to external USB. The Mac version has no issue. Here is the alternative to make it working.
Last edited by mandesgu on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

tinker2much

Re: balenaEtcher RUNNING ON a pi4

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:13 am

Here's a short slice of my latest activity trying to get Etcher built on a pi4. I had previously, finally, got fpm installed (a required packaging tool), then got Etcher to build and package, but the deb wouldn't install, complaining about compression.

Turns out, this is a known fpm-1.11.0 problem
see https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm/issues/1612

So fix by rolling back fpm to 1.10.2
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/170 ... m#17026442

gem uninstall fpmhttps://github.com/jordansissel/fpm/issues/1612
		gem install fpm -v 1.10.2
Then build it again

[email protected]:~/Documents/etcher $ USE_SYSTEM_FPM="true" ./node_modules/.bin/electron-builder --armv7l --linux deb
		Configuring yargs through package.json is deprecated and will be removed in the next major release, please use the JS API instead.
		Configuring yargs through package.json is deprecated and will be removed in the next major release, please use the JS API instead.
		  • electron-builder version=20.40.2
		  • loaded configuration file=/home/pi/Documents/etcher/electron-builder.yml
		  • writing effective config file=dist/builder-effective-config.yaml
		  • executing node-gyp rebuild arch=armv7l
		  • rebuilding native production dependencies platform=linux arch=armv7l
		  • packaging       platform=linux arch=armv7l electron=3.1.9 appOutDir=dist/linux-armv7l-unpacked
		  • building        target=deb arch=armv7l file=dist/balena-etcher_1.5.60_armv7l.deb

╭─────────────────────────────────────────────────╮
		   │                                                 │
		   │       Update available 20.40.2 → 21.2.0         │
		   │   Run yarn upgrade electron-builder to update   │
		   │                                                 │
		   ╰─────────────────────────────────────────────────╯
Then try to install it again:

[email protected]:~/Documents/etcher/dist $ sudo dpkg -i balena-etcher_1.5.60_armv7l.deb 
		dpkg: error processing archive balena-etcher_1.5.60_armv7l.deb (--install):
		 package architecture (armv7l) does not match system (armhf)
		Errors were encountered while processing:
		 balena-etcher_1.5.60_armv7l.deb
So...

tinker2much

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:15 am

sorry about the bad formatting above:

fix by rolling back fpm to 1.10.2
see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/170 ... m#17026442

gem uninstall fpm
gem install fpm -v 1.10.2

tinker2much

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:22 am

I've been testing @futurejones 's detailed Etcher build instructions, from his github site: https://github.com/futurejones/balena-e ... d/BUILD.md on a clean install of Raspbian, on my pi4. NOTE: he's put together some scripts to do all of this, but I've just been performing the individual steps from the doc.

I did wonder about his way of getting nodejs installed, that is, getting it from nodesource as follows:

curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10.x | sudo -E bash -
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
I've got nothing personal against that site, but I don't know them, so I would rather try to do it all via apt or other installed tools as much as possible, so I have actually did this instead:

sudo apt install nodejs
sudo apt install npm
sudo npm -g install [email protected]
So far I've gotten to the end of step 4, testing the *built* application (not yet the application packaged as a deb), by typing "npm start" from within the project. And it works, the Etcher app pops up, and in fact I used it to burn raspbian to another SD card, and I booted from it, and I'm now typing at you from that running system, so I think that's pretty good proof that he's got it all building properly.

Thanks, futurejones!

It could be that the fiddling and changing I've done will mess up the later packaging steps, but I'll keep going and see...

tinker2much

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:33 am

Perhaps the packaging steps in the doc I was referring to aren't the latest, and the fancier scripts @futurejones provides are really how he successfully packages the app.

tinker2much

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 am

Yes, the (newer) @futurejones scripts are the way. I continued to make my stubborn change to get nodejs and npm via apt, instead of curl and nodesource, as mentioned above. I substituted the four lines below for the curl and install lines in his script "balena-etcher-arm/etcher-build/install_dependencies.sh". I added the ln (link) line because there seemed to be some confusion after updating npm which version of npm was getting used, the first one installed or the latest one. Take that last addition with even more salt than my change in general.

sudo apt install nodejs
sudo apt install npm
sudo npm -g install [email protected]
sudo ln -sf /usr/local/bin/npm /usr/bin/npm
So, the result: after using the @futurejones easy dependency and build and package scripts (see here https://github.com/futurejones/balena-e ... cher-build), and getting a working deb, which I then successfully installed and used to burn a card, which verified, I call a halt to my efforts, and I bow to the master. Thank you very much, @futurejones.

I kept typing, but this troop of monkeys (me, myself and I) wasn't going to recreate any Shakespeare. This time. ;)

tinker2much

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 am

I tested @futurejones 's etcher scripts exactly as he has them (without my change for nodejs), and they also resulted in a working balenaEtcher on my pi4. I burned Rapsbian onto a card using that new Etcher, the card verified fine, then I used that card to boot a Zero, and it ran fine as well.

I looked at his three scripts (install_dependencies, build, and package_etcher) and they seemed clean and clever. I don't know what else there could be to test or check.

Thanks again, @futurejones. See his page here https://github.com/futurejones/balena-e ... /README.md. The title gets changed to [WORKING].

One side point, I tried to run that Etcher on that Pi Zero and Etcher failed with a message (if I remember it right) - "illegal Instruction". Is that to be expected? Perhaps it's just not possible given the architecture or meager capabilities of a Zero? To work on a Zero is totally outside what I had originally hoped for, I don't actually care if it can't happen there.

r3d4

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:09 am

:lol:
i wander why ?
whom ever

deleted my reply :|

---> xkcd dependencies <---

LTolledo

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 am

if this will be made available in the repository..... then most welcome! :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

r3d4

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:05 pm

see also : ( because it relates to the process (exprenced in this verry thred) of trying to build *other peoples software* )

0) https://www.software.ac.uk/blog/2017-02 ... -practical - Is software reproducibility possible and practical?
Software Sustainability Institute wrote:Software reproducibility here means the ability for someone to replicate a computational experiment that was done by someone else, using the same software and data, and then to be able to change part of it (the software and/or the data) to better understand the experiment and its bounds.
1) https://www.softwareheritage.org/2019/0 ... ucibility/ - Software Heritage and GNU Guix join forces to enable long term reproducibility

tinker2much

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 pm

I set out to build Etcher for the Pi4. I didn't succeed, but @futurejones did. If I had succeeded, I would written down the recipe (and test-baked it a few times to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything), and then I would have posted that recipe here for others to follow. I personally hadn't intended hosting or posting a pre-built package, even if I HAD succeeded, because I don't think people ought to download software from random individuals on the internet, even ones as unfailingly honest as myself ;-) or as clearly clever as @futurejones. He's gone way further than I would have, with his own github site, and many clever scripts, and his own project as a kind of wrapper for the balenaEtcher project. I'm very glad he took up the challenge, and I thank him for all his work.

@futurejones provides both the scripts and a pre-built package you can install. I recommend that you follow his instructions like I did, and build it yourself, but anyone is free to choose differently.

I have NOT downloaded his pre-built package, I have NOT tested his pre-built package, I have NOT used his pre-built package at all, and I don't intend to. And, I hope @futurejones understands that there's nothing personal about that.

All I'm attesting is that, at the time I did it, both my very slightly modified version of his scripts and his exact scripts, which I looked through, succeeded in building and packaging a recent release of the balenaEtcher code, and that those packages, when installed on my Pi4, resulted in a working app.

NOTE: the balenaEtcher developers are aware of @futurejones 's work, and the very best outcome would be for them to follow his lead, or learn from what he did, and make a Pi build part of their standard build processes, and then offer it on their website. In which case, I would download it, since I feel that somehow they've got enough online presence and size and status for me to trust them. (Again, no offense intended towards @futurejones.) This process really belongs upstream with those whose code it is.

crofter

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:47 pm

thanks tinker2much

for all your work works grate

thanks
crofter :D

Return to “Off topic discussion”