Heater

Re: What was your first computer?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey Jardino,

I was nine years old when you had your Honeywell 200 experience.

It was not until 9 years later I made contact to a computer. Via a teletype and acoustically coupled modem to some main frame in another city. I never did find out what it was or where it was. But it did let us experiment with our rudimentary programs in BASIC, even some kind of assembly language.

The Sinclair QL was a fantastic idea. But Clive Sinclair always had a way to cut corners to make things cheap which buggered things up. And well, IBM happened.

I think you might love the "Micro men" movie about Sinclair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM&t=1173s

Happily, there are no more PC's in my life. Not those big, ugly, noisy IBM PC clones anyway.

Heater

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Only after watching the above linked movie, one might appreciate "The British IBM" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyLLFNh24E

All of which is the beginnings of ARM, the mobile revolution that it made possible, and the Pi itself.

Roken

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 pm

My first home computer was a ZX81, later replaced by a Spectrum 48k, replaced by Amiga 500, followed by an A1200 which I heavily customised by hacking a PC case back panel apart and re-assembling to fit the back panel of both the A1200 MB and Zorro board and gfx card (also had a 68060, IDE interface, MASPlayer and soundcard in there), until I eventually built an x86 system. Originally had XP on it, but also ran Debian.

That original build is still in use, though it's a bit like Trigger's broom, now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUl6PooveJE). There's nothing left of the original build, but it's been upgraded component by component as needed. Windows was dumped a few years ago in favour of Linux exclusively. Originally Debian, followed by Ubuntu very briefly, Mint for 3 - 4 years, LFS for a few months (damn, that was maintenance heavy), and now Arch.

Total time to today since the original, about 33 years, and for the first time, I'm considering on buying a new, complete system.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

Heater

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Trigger's broom...Hmmm... I'm told that every cell in the human body is replaced after 7 years.

Except perhaps brain cells. But then I'm sure all the molecules they are composed of get swapped out all the time.

Like Trigger's broom, you are not who you were 33 years ago!

Roken

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 pm

What's more telling is that, before I even got my first home computer, I trained on an IBM 1966 mainframe, learning true machine code (even some binary programming) and went on to cut my teeth using COBOL on an IBM 2966 at British Aerospace.

If I'd been smart (and not employed otherwise) in 1999, I could have made a fortune.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

WillBoxGaming1

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:26 am

First computer I ever touched is a Gateway laptop that costed around 2000$... It was total garbage! XD If i remember correctly, it had a Centrino Dual-Core CPU and 512mb of RAM. It was running on Windows XP, was packed of viruses and had a battery life of 20 minutes. But still, today I regret the fact that I destroyed it. It sucked, but it had a kind-of good screen.

The next PC I owned is a Raspberry Pi 3. Im currently writing this post with it, it works like a charm and its my main PC! :)

Mortimer

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 pm

My first exposure to computing was back in secondary school in the early 80's.

I joined a coding club, and the only thing we had access to was a single teletype terminal. At the start of the sessions the ritual was to pick up an old GPO style telephone, dial a number, wait for the screeching at the other end and then jam the handset into a couple of rubber cups. You then had to repeatedly bash CTRL-Z on the teletype until it typed :

Hello
Ready?

As there was about half a dozen of us in the club, we clearly couldn't all type in programs at the same time. So we all wrote our programs in pencil on graph paper first, then it was a lottery on who got the teletype first. The others would then start preparing their code by punching paper type by hand. We had a metal block with a perspex cover, inside which a piece of paper tape could be placed. The perspex cover had holes through which a hand held punch could be pushed. Hence when it came to our turn at the teletype, we could feed the piece of tape we had punched and it would at least get some of our programs entered quite quickly, albeit probably needing several corrections!!

Soon after we got a couple of RML Link 380Z machines in. As there was only two machines these still were very busy. Eventually the school built a computer room, in which one of the 380Z became a server to a set of about eight RML Link 480Z machines. These were quite popular because these had colour monitors!!

jimmyken

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am

My own first is iMac, Skeleton Blue. I used to hear the sound of the modem, connected copper line. I added RAM to this machine by myself, but sold somebody. Before iMac, my family had PC-98 of NEC, so my first touch to PC is PC-98. My cousin had one of PC-98. When I visit his house, I asked him to let me play a game, A-Train, on PC-98.

John_Vella

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 pm

My first computer was a Dragon 32, which me and my kid brother bought in the early eighties, when I was about 13 years old. This is the machine which led to me having a 25 year career in the IT sector.

jardino

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Not that worked on this machine - but I thought this item was interesting.

I thought that my washing-machine-sized disc drives were large, but have a look at this picture from1956 of an IBM computer.
These two drives (in the foreground) could store as much as 15 Mbytes of data each!
Alan.
Attachments
280px-BRL61-IBM_305_RAMAC.jpeg
280px-BRL61-IBM_305_RAMAC.jpeg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

TudorJ

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 pm

First computer I used was an IBM 1401 all of 8k. First one owned, 6502 home built machine.

PeterO

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Roken wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 pm
What's more telling is that, before I even got my first home computer, I trained on an IBM 1966 mainframe, learning true machine code (even some binary programming) and went on to cut my teeth using COBOL on an IBM 2966 at British Aerospace.

If I'd been smart (and not employed otherwise) in 1999, I could have made a fortune.
More likely ICL machines. ICL made the 1906 and the 2966. There's a working ICL 2966 at TNMOC.
http://www.tnmoc.org/explore/mainframes
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

k-pi

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 pm

I expect I've answered somewhere in the thread, but I have just bought an 8" SVGA (800x600) monitor, mainly to use as a back up to my 11.6" WXGA (1366x678), & it brought back memories of my first computer, an 8088 XT with a 9" CRT monitor, this computer was not much bigger than two 3.5" floppy drives, (about 9" x 6" x 2") - loved that little thing. :D

Heater

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 pm

k-pi,

Interesting. Can you name that machine and/or give us a link to info about it?

I ask because the smallest XT class machine I ever saw was much bigger than 9" x 6" x 2".

wolf.z

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 pm

My first computer was a HP 34C scientific calculator. http://www.rskey.org/hp34c The device's potential outperformed my demand as an engineer student of telecommunications science at that time. Programming was a huge hurdle, rpn - reverse polish notation - showed to be the best in interfacing with calculators I've ever seen, saving for the rare 210 programming steps of that device.

jardino

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 pm

He-he. I worked on Honeywell's H-200, which was a direct competitor to the IBM 1401 (but better!)

The typical memory size was 4k to 16k. When a customer needed 24k, we had to engage a welder to extend the cabinet that held the memory modules.

I'm glad that nowadays I can plug a 16 G-byte micro-SD card into my phone or Raspberry Pi to expand the memory without having to hire a welder!

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

k-pi

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:25 am

Heater wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 pm
k-pi,

Interesting. Can you name that machine and/or give us a link to info about it?

I ask because the smallest XT class machine I ever saw was much bigger than 9" x 6" x 2".
It was called a Carry-1, & it came with its own padded shoulder bag to transport it & the power supply, so that you could plug it into a monitor & keyboard when you arrived at work or home.

I've searched for pictures, so far I've only found the 286 with HDD - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-286-Co ... 1928421182
(The second disk is located behind the badge.) (Looks like that is probably a 12" monitor behind it.)

I'm sure it used the same case with a different front, the back looks about the same.

Heater

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 pm

k-pi,

Thanks. I never heard of a Carry-1 or saw such a thing back in the XT days.

scruss

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:49 pm

First that I used (and it's stretching the term) was the ICL 2900 at the computer bureau my dad managed at Clydeport. He showed me how to get it to ask my name then print the equivalent of "Hello" + name. I was 5.

Next were a series of ZX81s my dad bought for his work with EVHA, the European Port & Harbourmaster's association. We weren't allowed to keep any of them, as they were whisked off to Bremen, Le Havre, Rotterdam, Copenhagen and Genoa for testing feasibility of ship tracking. They used ZX-81s because they were cheap enough to sneak into expense claims.

First computer that was ours was an Amstrad CPC464. I have very fond memories of it. Ultimately it ended up with two disc drives (those weird but fast little 3" discs), a printer and enough sideways ROMs to make the startup screen scroll.

I seem to be going backwards with my computer acquisitions, as I'm now building an SBC6120. It's a single-board implementation of a DEC PDP-8 12-bit minicomputer.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

LTolledo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:48 am

The very first computer that I used and owned was the Casio FX-850P, during my college days.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=Casio ... Ynon3K_fBM:

got me hooked to programming in BASIC.

The first "real computer" that I got my hand to use and operate was the Apple Mac II, also way back in college. Using 5-1/4 floppy disk to load programs and data.... and play occasional "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego" , "Load Runner", and "Karateka".

The first "PC" I've used was the Intel 8088 based PC (and its clone, powered by NEC V20 processors), using DOS as operating system. Used it for making CAD drawings (using ACAD 2.18) for our school project. Also got me to word processing using WordStar, which was heavily used for making college reports and thesis.

The very first microcomputer chip (actually its a microprocessor) based system that I was able to take part to assemble (well, I got it to run on a breadboard setup, again as a college project) , was based on the Zilog Z80 chip. Our professor programmed the ROM, its up to us to make the system operational. Our group was one of 2 groups (out of 16) to have it up and running and properly operating according to the program.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Doom2

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:00 pm

My First Computer Played Doom and Wolfenstein and was a gigantic brick which sat on the basement floor with a huge square monitor. Later when we installed Windows and AOL (REMEMBA) it played a sound so horrifying it haunts my dreams to this day!

mfecelce

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm

The first I had was Z81 but I didn't really used it that much.

Roken

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Sinclair ZX80 - I'm ancient.

parker55

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:16 pm

I think it was pentium 2 .. My father bought that I wasn't PC guy that time and hadn't interest much that's why don't remember specs...

I guess there was 256mb RAM or 20GB hard drive etc..

epoch1970

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm

The first one: Apple //e, bought by my parents, mostly used by me.
The special ones (used or owned): Mac 512, NexT Cube (with laser printer!), SGI Indy, iMac DV SE, Mac mini (Intel), MB Air (1st gen), Pi 2.
EDIT: forgot the BeBox (BeOS). Didn't use it long but the software was very impressive.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Off topic discussion”