Dozyproductions

Do I need a Pi? Amp Project

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Hello there. Hope this is in the appropriate section.

Plan on building a little nifty amp to power two speakers that will be used for TV/movies and for music listening. Would love to have blue tooth ("lossless"?), and need USB/RCA/aux connectivity for music, Hdmi for the TV (no rca). For music I've been using RCA to Aux from my laptop or from some one elses' phone.

Planning to use a TDA7498E amp board alongside a MBL-6010 clone pre amp board from aliexpress. They run on an analog signal so I'm assuming I'll need a DAC for my other desired inputs. Also plan on using an audio spectrum indicator for the eye candy.

After doing some reading it seems like the Pi 3 can mostly everything but I don't know if it's too much for what I need. I've seen that people have been using touch displays for their home entertainment centers and that, and a hard drive, may be something down the future. One inherent flaw is that all the inputs and outputs aren't on the same side.I bet this question has been asked before but could you guys help me out? If a Pi is not for me, anything else that can do the job?

Sorry, english isn't my first language.

drgeoff

Re: Do I need a Pi? Amp Project

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Bluetooth audio is not lossless.

bask185

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:02 pm

I am not quite sure what it is what you want to do. From what I understand you have been using a laptop -> AUX to RCA cable -> screen + speakers?

You want to 'build' an ampliphier with speakers which will be used in combination with your RCA display? And you want to listen to music over bluetooth?

It is a little unsure what your system exactly is.

There are audio bluetooth modules available with an AUX output. That you can stick directly in an ampliphier and voila you have a bluetooth speaker.

The raspberry has also an AUX output (though it has crappy quality from what I've been told). So you can plug in your AUX to RCA cable in the Pi. And the Pi can play music as well as video from USB, WiFi, internal storage, external usb dvd player etc. But again it is unsure what you want.

What do you want to use as source and what is your end device? what kind of display are you using, what kind of speakers are you using. And where do you use your RCA cable for. Those things are getting old.

The RPI has a nice hdmi output which you can hook up to a decent TV. And with an extra usb audio card you can also get nice audio out of it for separated amp/speaker system

Dozyproductions

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know bluetooth isn't lossless; hence the " " ;)

I have two speakers and a Denon A/V unit. My sources are either the TV (infa red and hdmi) and phones/computer (hdmi, aux). I was connecting the amp to TV with an RCA to headphone input. Just recently did I buy an infa red cable. For the phones/computer I was using an RCA to aux.

What I'd like to do is use an HDMI to connect my amp to the tv. For the phones/computer I'm fine to keep on using the RCA to aux, BUT I'd like to have blue tooth connectivity as well. Wouldn't mind being able to expand the idea/functionality to use a remote control and perhaps a built in hard drive.

The pre/amp are analog but I still wan't to use the HDMI. I'd like less RCA/aux and more HDMI/usb. It looks cleaner but if such connectivity is that much less convenient, than RCA is okay.

I'd like this to be a personal built amplifier unit with ability to expand capabilities. I can't think why or how i'd use wifi for this application. That's why I'm here :)

Thank you!

fruitoftheloom

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Dozyproductions wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know bluetooth isn't lossless; hence the " " ;)

I have two speakers and a Denon A/V unit. My sources are either the TV (infa red and hdmi) and phones/computer (hdmi, aux). I was connecting the amp to TV with an RCA to headphone input. Just recently did I buy an infa red cable. For the phones/computer I was using an RCA to aux.

What I'd like to do is use an HDMI to connect my amp to the tv. For the phones/computer I'm fine to keep on using the RCA to aux, BUT I'd like to have blue tooth connectivity as well. Wouldn't mind being able to expand the idea/functionality to use a remote control and perhaps a built in hard drive.

The pre/amp are analog but I still wan't to use the HDMI. I'd like less RCA/aux and more HDMI/usb. It looks cleaner but if such connectivity is that much less convenient, than RCA is okay.

I'd like this to be a personal built amplifier unit with ability to expand capabilities. I can't think why or how i'd use wifi for this application. That's why I'm here :)

Thank you!

Confused how a Raspberry Pi fits, HDMi & Composite / Sound AV are OUTPUTS only.

Maybe draw a diagram ??
Adieu

Dozyproductions

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm

That's a bummer. Would any of you know an alternative?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Dozyproductions wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm
That's a bummer. Would any of you know an alternative?

This is a Raspberry Pi Forum, there are plenty of other Forums to find suggestions for alternatives......
Adieu

Dozyproductions

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:58 pm

...sure. thanks for the help

Return to “Off topic discussion”