davidcoton

Re: What was your first computer?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:05 pm

W0LFIE wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm
The thread is too long now to read every single line but it looks like most of you started with one of the Sinclair offerings. Shows just how much Mr Clive has affected our lives, where is he now?
It's not that long. A quick scan does not support your assertion. Probably just as well, the quality of Clive's products left a lot to be desired. Best "built to a price" computer kit until the Pi Zero, though.
I (pre) ordered a ZX80 but it was going to take far too long than an impatient twenty-ger was prepared to wait so I cancelled it and got the OHIO Superboard 2 (Challenger II P) instead, I must have spent more hours programming than I spent playing Space invaders later..

Programing was a slim version of Basic, then Machine code could be used by poking data in to the Memory locations one at a time, there was no way back so any mistakes meant starting from the beginning... Grrr..

It still lives in my loft and worked at last outing a few years ago, much modified by now of course.
After learning to program on the local college (Merton Tech) mainframe (they allowed access to local schools), I bough a UK101 kit (Ohio Superboard 2, IIIRC) SBC around 1980. Luxury kit with 2K "Monitor" (OS), 8K Basic in ROM, 8K static RAM and 1K video memory. Program storage on cassette, 6502 processor running at 1MHz. Still got it somewhere.... though now with 32K dynamic RAM (again IIRC), 2K video (48 char x 32 lines), and RS232 with proper +/-5V switching and multiple baud rates. I'm not sure I'd risk switching it on -- chunky electrolytics now almost 40 years old :shock:

PS the kit cost £219 +vat!
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

W0LFIE

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:34 am

Pretty much all of the above modifications to mine too, add on PCB for memory, cassette baud rate doubled and video doubled, then rewrote some of the OS to clear it all at startup.

I put a speech synthesizer PCB on it too and bought a Colour graphics PCB but never got round to fitting that.. one day I might. :lol:
:
Time flies like an Arrow, Fruit Flies like a Banana.

Burngate

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:40 am

SC/MP? MK14? Tangerine?

blackdragon69

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm

A Commodore Vic-20, saved up my paper round money for 15 months and bought it in 1982. Then spent as much on an afron interface, which was a case the Vic-20 sat in and had a built in power supply and 8 slots for cartridges, was able then to get it from a 3.5k machine to 59.5k. did my programming O'level on a Commodore PET and my Vic-20..

Went on to having a C64, Amiga, Amiga 128, Spectrum 128, IBM AT, IBM XT, Pentium 2 etc etc, gone are the heady days of working out fuel / mileage consumption for a fleet of vehicles using lotus 123 running on an AT PC (circa 1986).

As a newbie to the Raspberry Pi and as I hit 50 this year I decided that the Pi would be a great place to get back into coding and to have a cost effective tool that I should not be able to break.

I have setup a Pi ZeroW running OSMC as a media centre with a terabyte drive all powered and LED lit from a USB Hub, case still to be completed. I also need to figure how to get the stuff onto the drive without removing it and plugging into my PC.

Am busy working my way through the CamJam EduKit 1, and am attempting to write code that would output what I type directly as morse code ( my thoughts are that as i hit return the pi would then output that line typed) still a work in progress. Any ideas anyone?
Last edited by blackdragon69 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackdragon69 a Pi Newbie

harvey brant

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 am

I worked For DEC field service In Canada starting in 1970. Initially in Toronto then later in Ottawa. I serviced PDP 8 and 8i in the Toronto area. In Ottawa I did regional support for all of Canada for these products. I got to visit all of Canada. I later worked in manufacturing for DEC in Puerto Rico as QC supervisor. I Spoke Spanish from previous Job. This was for two Years. This was where DEC was building there PC compatible computer. Then back to Toronto as supervisor for the LCG ie Dec 10/20 family out of Toronto. Next I was Manager for Field Service Training in Canada till I retired. I still own a Micro Vax and a PRO 380. It is a shame because bad decisions by upper managers the PRO family based on the PDP 11 could have been the Personal Computer "PC" rather them the Intel based computer and maybe DEC would exist today. DEC to Compaq to HP is what happened to the company. The Company had good products but Ken Olson believed that time-share was the way to go and not Personal Computers and DEC Personal Computer was not completely compatible to the IBM PC. Software written for the PC had to be modified to run on the DEC PC. Companies would buy one or two large computers but many of hundreds of the PC's
Harvey Brant

DarkSpearTriant

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:53 am

mine was the Apple 2. I remember there was a pinball game, a space station game, a Where in the world is carden sandiego game. I got some good childhood memories of that thing.

travisfarmer

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am

Mine was a Commodore 128, though i generally ran it is 64 mode. I remember my first look at a 3D game, Super Huey 2, and was amazed at the quality of the graphics and sound. but compared to current computer offerings, what used to pass as quality 3D, now is laughable. :lol:

I think i may even have it still kicking around somewhere, though the floppy drive is toast. i think the PSU may be toast too.

~Travis

furball

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm

A Sharp MZ80K in about 1981 when I was at college. Not very good for games, as it had very blocky graphics and a black & white monitor, although I wasn't really interested in games for it anyway. It had the monitor, keyboard & tape player inbuilt in the steel case, very much a Japanese version of a Commodore PET, although with a Z80 instead of a 6502.

Came in handy for college Z80 programming and hardware courses though - easy to hack around the discrete logic chips on the motherboard.

The first machine I actually used was an ICL 2904 mainframe via a remote teletype and paper tape from school.

Lance

DarkSpearTriant

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

travisfarmer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am
Mine was a Commodore 128, though i generally ran it is 64 mode. I remember my first look at a 3D game, Super Huey 2, and was amazed at the quality of the graphics and sound. but compared to current computer offerings, what used to pass as quality 3D, now is laughable. :lol:

I think i may even have it still kicking around somewhere, though the floppy drive is toast. i think the PSU may be toast too.

~Travis
oh god i remember that computer and i also remember some of the games for it. Pretty decent graphics all things considered.

Heater

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 am

The first computer I owned I had to build myself in 1982 or so. It was a small single board computer using a Motorola 6809 processor. It had a 2716 EPROM and about 2K orso of RAM. The user interface was a hex keypad and 6 digit seven segment display.

It was a circuit published in some magazine, Wireless World or such. Sadly I can't find any info on it or links now.

DidierAubin87

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 am

My very first computer is a Asus 14inch, I spent most of my university life with it, it ran very cool and powerful. I'm still using it now just in case my Macbook gets problem :)).

conradbethel

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

My first computer was

Brand: Dell
Processor Type: Pentium 4
Memory: 512MB
Operating System: Windows 98
Processor Speed: 2.80GHz
Floppy Drive: 3.5” 1.44MB
Hard Drive: 40GB
CD Player

mistofeles

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:51 pm

VIC-20 with 256kB of RAM, some 128MB of EPROM, floppy, teletype, modem, hardisk, printers, 2-crystal-rtg-spectrometer,
Another boards were Micro-Professr with Z80 and NOVA-RAM
After these I got Dragon-64 and some computers, which I buIlt from components.
During the years I have built tens of computers and written some OS and other programs.

My first computer was DEC-10
-----------------------------------------------------
35 years with computers and still here !

Liamza2314

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:11 am

Lol I built my first pc when i was 6, it was trash but I did build it virtually free, using parts i scavenged from around the neighbourhood, I dont remember the exact specs but im certain they wernt great :lol:

Tady43

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 am

My first computer was a Comadoor bought it at toys r us and when you booted it up it would say " my name is Sam " No hard drive but you could add one if I remember correctly it used Basic language if you typed
Print it would print to the screen
Lprint it would print to the printer after you hit run

taylorkh

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm

The first computer I used was an RCA Spectra 70 in college. Fortran 4 on punched cards. The first microcomputer, back in college after a stint in the Navy, was a Heathkit H8 - eventually with 3 floppy drives and it actually booted itself without keying in the boot instructions - CP/M 2.2. The first computer which I purchased (excluding Hewlett Packard programmable calculators HP65, HP67, HP41CV) was a Commodore VIC 20. And the first computer which I did ACTUAL WORK on was an Osborne Executive.

Ken

jlowe

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 pm

The first I owned was a KIM-1 .. used the Kansas city standard - (tape format) over acoustical modems .. <150 baud I think..
Still have it along with a KIM-SI S100 bus memory card.. much later... I was able to get a IBM5100... used BASIC and APL.. even
dropped into the 360 mode and ran 360 asm code.

..jay

Gew

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:25 pm

AST Advantage! Adventure

It looked somewhat like the machine here below.

I love my mother for buying it. It was 50MHz DX4 with 4 MB RAM. It got me into the world of computing. I have loved computers ever since. Computers don't lie, people do.

Cancelor

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 am

Gew wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:25 pm
AST Advantage! Adventure

It looked somewhat like the machine here below.

I love my mother for buying it. It was 50MHz DX4 with 4 MB RAM. It got me into the world of computing. I have loved computers ever since. Computers don't lie, people do.
Luv that keyboard, I wish I still had an IBM one.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

cesttonal

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 am

My first computer was: Dell Inspiron 1520 15.4" Laptop
Intel Core Duo,
2.5GB RAM,
DVD RW.
Actually, I wanted it because I was bought an obd2 scanner that time https://theeffectiveguide.com/best-prof ... c-scanner/. It was needed because that scanner works with a laptop. However, that laptop gave me service almost 6 years without any problem.
Last edited by cesttonal on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rados-dataplicity

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Intel Celeron,
128 MB Nvidia Graphics Card,
512 MB RAM,
DVD RW

and an obnoxiously yellow box to contain all that power :D
I tinker around with Raspberry Pis daily and make sure that people can easily access theirs remotely.

Community outreach @ dataplicity.com

balanceistische

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 am

Commodore 64 (C64)

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 am

Cancelor wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 am
Luv that keyboard, I wish I still had an IBM one.
Unicomp licensed the IBM keyswitch tech and makes keyboards using it. You can even get them with a USB interface (they work with Pis) and one option is to NOT have a "Windows" key. Here's a listing... http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI041A

PhatFil

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:43 am

The first computer i played with first hand was a texas instruments T99 circa 1979 as part of my then saturday shop job, I got a £10 bonus if the shop took more than £500 while i was in charge, and the computers sold for just under £1,400 as you needed to buy a US colour TV to use as a monitor in the bundle, so i thought it was a good plan to learn how to demo it..

Raymond Briggs of fungus the bogeyman fame bought one for his kid iirc ;) I didnt sell too many though.. But it was a step up from math club at school where we would punch out cards to feed into the modem connection(which involved a phone headset placed in a foam receiver/transmitter) to the poly during our schools allotted 30 minute window each wednesday afternoon. The following week we would receive the golf ball printed output (or error report) of the previous weeks attempts I dont think i ever successfully executed anything..

btw the thin how to program booklet in the Ti99 bundle covered more programming than the then computing 'o'level syllabus.

jardino

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Well,you asked ...

(I've been nervous about posting here since my first contact with a computer was probably before most people in here were born!)

Anyway, it was in 1965 and was with a mainframe computer called the Honeywell 200 (H-200) - a competitor to the IBM 1401. (See photo.)
H200.jpg
H200.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Specifically, my first contact was with the tape drives. (These are the tall machines with wheels on them at the back of the photo - some of the installations had up to 16 of them.) My job was to commission them as they came off the production line in the factory. A fairly accurate demonstration of how an H-200 program (nowadays called an "app", it seems!) would be started up is in the movie "The Billion Dollar Brain", viewable on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Rv7clC_A4

The actor, Karl Malden, shows the fairly tricky process of loading a tape into a drive.

The first computer I owned was a Sinclair QL - in 1984.

I bought it because IBM PCs were starting to appear on the desks of the clients I was supposed to be doing IT consulting for, and I knew nothing about the things. I asked my boss to buy a PC for the office - for learning purposes - but he refused (they cost about 4000 GBP at the time). So I bought myself a QL, since it had most of the functionality of an early PC at a tenth of the price, and learned about word processing, spreadsheets and more on it. (The QL was not a commercial success, its failure being blamed on the unreliability of its microdrives. However, I experienced few problems with them.)
QL.jpg
QL.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
(An anecdote: the Honeywell factory once had an open day and I took my young brother along to see the machine I was currently building. Later in life, as a teacher, he had great delight in telling his class that he once walked through a computer. Naturally, they couldn't believe him.)

After getting involved in various industrial control computer in the course of my career, I am now happily surrounded by a PC or two and a bevvy of Raspberry PI's (which I can't walk through!)

(Well, you did ask.)
Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Off topic discussion”