W. H. Heydt

Burning down California

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 am

I assume by now that a fair few of the people on these forums are aware that we're having a bit of a wildfire problem in California, and particularly, Northern California. I just wanted to let people know that, as the Pi enthusiast *relatively* close to the major fires that I'm okay. The city I live in is not under any imminent threat, but we have major air quality issues (AQI 219 at the moment). The local schools have been keeping kids indoors and cancelling all outdoor activities. As of this afternoon, the schools are closed for the rest of the week.

Anyone more than about 15 or 20 miles north of where I am may have communications issues, or even be under an evacuation order.

DougieLawson

Re: Burning down California

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:19 am

That's good news, in the middle of a bad situation. Stay safe.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 am
I heard that The Orange One was going to show up and toss bags of marshmallows to the crowd.
Posts like that tend to get members banned.......
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Especially those with multiple warnings and previous temporary bans....

Sometimes, even mods have a line we don't like people to cross. Doesn't happen often. But don't think we are complacent.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:35 pm

jamesh wrote:

Sometimes, even mods have a line we don't like people to cross. Doesn't happen often. But don't think we are complacent.
Please don't ban him over that post. I thought it was hilarious....in a very snide way.

rpdom

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Please don't ban him over that post. I thought it was hilarious....in a very snide way.
It wouldn't just be over that post, I suspect.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 pm

To help with location.... See http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41592594 and scroll down to the map.

The round body of water just above the "San Francisco" label is San Pablo Bay (it's the northern part of San Francisco Bay). To the east of that you can *just* see the Sacramento River. Vallejo (where I live) is on the north side of the Sacramento River where it goes into San Pablo Bay. Two blocks west of my house in California Highway 29 (CA-29). That goes to the city of Napa (labeled on the map). Some of the evacuees are getting shelter in a high school in American Canyon (not labeled), which is the next town north of Vallejo.

For a slightly more direct Pi tie in, Ameridroid, who sell Pis, is located in Ukiah (labeled on the map), with a bunch of fires just to their north.

jardino

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 pm

I hope you stay safe, Mr Heydt.

I visited your region several years ago and thought it was lovely - to say nothing about the excellent wine!

And we need you back here in the forums!!

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 pm

jardino wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 pm
I hope you stay safe, Mr Heydt.

I visited your region several years ago and thought it was lovely - to say nothing about the excellent wine!

And we need you back here in the forums!!

Alan.
So far, so good. I'm well outside the evacuation (let alone burn) zones. When I went out to do some errands, there were spots of ash on the car, though. Mostly I've been posting about this because one generally lacks a sense of how close one specific locale is to another when one is a long way from either.

jamesh

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am

rpdom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:

This. Sailing close to the wind over a considerable time. Straw, camel, back, etc.

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 am

jamesh wrote:
rpdom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

This. Sailing close to the wind over a considerable time. Straw, camel, back, etc.
Perhaps you should give the "new Joe Schmoe" the exact same treatment as the old Joe Schmoe (since it's bloody obvious that Frezman is Schmoe).

Meanwhile we can all continue to hope that California can get their fires under control and they continue to stay a long way from Hal Heydt.
MQTT Evangelist

piglet

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 am

I followed your advice/lead on another thread and added him as my only "foe", and no longer see his posts. Thanks.

Another well wishing thought from this side of the pond. Keep safe. There seem to have been more earthquakes, hurricanes and fires than normal this year. Hopefully there won't be any move on to plagues of locusts or first-borns getting struck...

BlackKnight_UK

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am

I find it sad that a serious post is polluted by stupidity.

To the original poster, stay safe.

jamesh

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am

DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:
rpdom wrote:

Perhaps you should give the "new Joe Schmoe" the exact same treatment as the old Joe Schmoe (since it's bloody obvious that Frezman is Schmoe).

Meanwhile we can all continue to hope that California can get their fires under control and they continue to stay a long way from Hal Heydt.
Hmm, hadn't made that connection. Must try harder. Anyway, same treatment has been applied.

Given current news from CA, best wishes from the Fens.

rpdom

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:33 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am
DougieLawson wrote:
Hmm, hadn't made that connection.
I've been thinking it for a while and mentioned it to someone recently, especially after MF made a reference to an old JS post praising his style.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:57 pm

piglet wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 am
Another well wishing thought from this side of the pond. Keep safe. There seem to have been more earthquakes, hurricanes and fires than normal this year. Hopefully there won't be any move on to plagues of locusts or first-borns getting struck...
In recent years, the geologists determined that one of the faults in the North Bay is actually an extension of one of the ones farther south. Since the maximum magnitude a fault can generate is related to its length....you can see where that goes. Prior to 1906, the "Great California Earthquake" was the 1868 one on the Hayward Fault, estimated at M6.8. Last time I saw estimates, the East Bay is expected to get something in the M7 range at a 50% probability in the next 30 years. My "first born" will be safe from that. He's living in New York City.

On serious (and on topic) news, AQI is down to about 150 today. Not a good rating, but better than it was. Unfortunately, the high east winds are supposed to start up again this evening, so the fire crews are going to have tougher going. I actually saw a couple of southern California fire trucks go by heading north yesterday, so assets are still arriving.

mlepage

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Flying into San Francisco on Monday, wondering how bad it will be.

On a related note, I hope rpiboy is safe (no post since latest wave of hurricanes, but if he's in Puerto Rico that could be due to lack of power).

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 am

mlepage wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 pm
Flying into San Francisco on Monday, wondering how bad it will be.
The sky here was actually blue this afternoon, for the first time this week. So at least locally to me, the air quality has improved quite a bit. I just checked on Weather Underground. They give an AQI of 40 ("Good") with Ozone as the major pollutant. The forecast is for it to be "Unhealthy for sensitive groups", dominated by PM2.5 (2.5 micrometer particulate), on Monday. For San Francisco (the airport is several miles south of the city), now it's 33 (Good, PM2.5), Monday is "Unhealthy for sensitive groups (PM2.5)" Given what we've been having, you shouldn't have a problem unless you've got a serious asthma condition.
On a related note, I hope rpiboy is safe (no post since latest wave of hurricanes, but if he's in Puerto Rico that could be due to lack of power).
Indeed. He never said where he was. The latest hurricane, Ophelia, is headed for Ireland and then Scotland and northern England. (Good news....not expected to repeat the Great Storm of 1987.) FYI...Ophelia has set a record for the farthest east location of an Atlantic hurricane. It was Category 3 earlier today.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:51 am

The UK is currently basking and reminiscing in the history of 15th/16th Oct 1987.

The Met Office (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/relea ... ur-weather) has Ophelia described as "Ex-Ophelia" as it will have spun down (due to the cold Atlantic waters) by the time it reaches the north of Ireland and South West of Scotland. It could still have storm force winds.

Rpiboy is safe. His forum profile shows "Fri 13 Oct 2017, 03:30" as the last visit here.
MQTT Evangelist

Return to “Off topic discussion”