rpiboy

Learning Python

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm

I am reading a python book and Python seems easy but I don't feel like I am getting the most of it the language because it seems boring. Any fun ways to learn Python?

kusti8

Re: Learning Python

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Find a project that you want to do. Get inspiration from the MagPi or some sort of hobby that you have. Then, just start programming. Your going to be using Google a lot, but it's the best way to learn. It takes a while if you're a beginner, but if you know the basic principles of Python, the rest is really just experience.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the boredom. Programming has a tendency to resemble the old adage about flying an airplane... Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 am

I find it fun experimenting with Python using Ren'Py.
You can learn as you go and its always more interesting to learn by creation, than repeating boring "exercises" you find on the internet or in books.
Raspberry Pi - spend all your time troubleshooting, not learning.

gordon77

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:33 am

kusti8 wrote:Find a project that you want to do. Get inspiration from the MagPi or some sort of hobby that you have. Then, just start programming. Your going to be using Google a lot, but it's the best way to learn. It takes a while if you're a beginner, but if you know the basic principles of Python, the rest is really just experience.
I 100% agree. You will find www.stackoverflow.com and similar very useful when you Google, once you have some basics.

skidoobond

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 am

Maybe start or join a project with other programmers. You can learn from each other and if one of you gets stuck, the other may have the solution. If that isn't possible, my favorite way to learn any language is to program a tic tac toe game. The game is simple on logic so it won't take hours and million lines of code. Also, you most likely know how to play and what to expect. It uses a lot of the most basic programming areas (input, output, control statements, function blocks) and can be built up to be more complex as your skills grow.

Heater

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:30 am

rpiboy,
...it seems boring. Any fun ways to learn Python?
Sounds like you need a "programming with attitude" approach.

Start here:

[censored inappropriate link name]

Or go straight to "Learn Python, the hard way":

https://learnpythonthehardway.org/

sarahgad

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 am

rpiboy wrote:. Any fun ways to learn Python?
You should be putting the fun in it, If you are bored, there is no use doing it. No offense, but i have this belief.

Heater

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am

Half a century ago my English teacher in school said to the class "If you are bored, it's your fault".

That did not make much sense at the time, what with having to read Shakespeare, John Steinbeck and such at the time.

Only years later sis I start to think my old English teacher had a point.

So, I don't know, stop reading the Python book. Try to do something. Even as simple as flashing an LED connected to a Pi GPIO pin. When you get stuck, look it up. Or ask here.

alphanumeric

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 am

Getting to the fun part can be frustrating. I have no formal python training, every thing I know is from just sitting down and having at it. I got pretty frustrated at first, but less and less now. The more I use it the easier it gets to sort out errors in my code. At first I used a lot of example code that somebody already did the hard bits with. Then modified it to do what I wanted or add extra features. Its very satisfying when you come up with something different on your own. I've had a lot of fun with my sense hat. Lots and lots of working example code out there for that. And many many things you can do with it. One thing that can throw you for a loop is programs written for python 2 that error out if you run them in python 3. And vice versa. I haven't got the patience to site down and read a book, I just learn by doing. That doesn't work for everybody but works for me. so far anyway. ;)

Return to “Off topic discussion”