MrShadowCat

Anyone in Manchester UK? Paid Help needed

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi everyone,I did do an intro but it wasn’t much of one.

So today (Thursday,October 3rd) I got my raspberry pi delivered,I wanted it specifically for Retropie, I’m buying a linux laptop (or in the process of).
I have a Logitech wired f310,I screwed up the confit on that and can’t reverse it no matter what I tried.

First,it wouldn’t work on hdmi,then the seller;who has been fabulous in helping me,told me to try putting in hdmi first then power,so it worked.

Later on l forgot to turn it off,I just turned the source over to freeview to watch something.
And now it’s giving a digital time screen saver,tried it under different sources/different hdmi sockets plus different hdmi cables to get back on Retropi but its not coming on,it is booting though I can tell.

I am 35 and live in a care facility in Manchester,UK, Only one staff knows anything about computers but absolutely nothing about pis and linux.
I have classic autism,intellectual disability,life long epilepsy etc which has destroyed everything I knew about linux (over 10 years of dual booting it,some freeBSD use to😞😭) and working with computers in general,its all gone.

Basically,I need someone who can physically come and sort out my pi,because I have tried and tried to understand the posts on here and I can’t,i have no short term memory,and have to post with the help of my support staff.
I have two laptops that were damaged by a windows 10 update,so I only have my communication aid,ie my iPad to use.

I would also love more than anything if the person could put more choices on the card for me,i have two laptops but both were ruined by windows 10 updating so I cannot do the simplest tasks myself unfortunately.
Oh and I need help with configuring the control pad again.

Please get in contact,I would be incredibly greatful and will pay of course,cheers.
Emlyn Scott.
please have a bit of patienceI have classic autismandIntellectual disability.🐠

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone in Manchester UK? Paid Help needed

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:01 am

frank997 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:14 am
please check PM
This system doesn't support PM's for a good (legal) reason.

zwieblum

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:19 am

I'm just wondering how you will make it from India to Manchester?

B.Goode

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:24 am

{username_removed} wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:14 am
Hi,

I understand your requirement and will be glad to assist you.

please check PM

please connect me over ****** or email me at **** AT talentsfromindia dot com

Regards
Frank

"I understand your requirement"

I strongly suspect that 'Frank' has simply sent a standard 'boilerplate' response with no evidence of any understanding. The same reply has been sent previously in this forum.

"email me at {username_concealed} AT talentsfromindia dot com"

Why would someone offering on site assistance in Manchester UK have an email address in the talentsfromindia email domain?

Emlyn: please treat this offer of help with caution. Maybe seek advice from one of your support staff before responding?

And Emlyn - the photography on your website is stunning, thank you for sharing it.

Edit: subsequent changes made to defang material decided by Moderator to have come from a scammer/phisher.
Last edited by B.Goode on Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyroo

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Emlyn,

There have been a few Pi Jams in the Manchester area - maybe reaching out to the co-ordinators would be a better way?

Have a look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/jam/#map-section and tick the small box top left just above the map (past events)

Then zoom in to Manchester and just click each Pi to see where it was held.

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Two folks I thought you could contact are
Les Pounder https://twitter.com/biglesp and Lorraine Underwood https://twitter.com/LMcUnderwood
they're perfectly qualified to help and based up north.

If you weren't 200 miles north of me I'd help.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MrShadowCat

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Thankyou everyone,i didn’t spot the guy was from India-i get this a lot on selling sites-i sell my artwork,games,unwanted sensory equipment,vinyl etc on an app called shpock (im under an appointee and can’t have my own debit card so can’t use eBay)i write that they must pick up due to a whole host of genuine reasons, and the first thing people do is tell me to post it to them-plonkers! i am sorry if I’ve done a Joe Pera and bored you to sleep but it’s the same sort of thing,I asked for physical help and he wants to go through Skype? 🤦‍♂️

Thanks B.goode,i have got the message out to all support staff including two who know a lot about computing and one of them today looked at me as if I have insulted their mother,lol, they know nothing about the pi or linux.

Cheers Andyroo, I’ll give it a go now,or do you think it’s better getting one of my support staff to phone (I’m only assuming there’s a phone contact,haven’t looked yet)?

lol zwieblum.

I wonder is it ok if I stick around and try to learn off you guys?
The pi and what is capable of always amazes me,i love watching videos of projects before I even got into using them myself,with the right person the capabilities are almost endless,it’s mind blowing in a way isnt it.

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Go to https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/ there's load of "Get started with your RPi" documentation on there.

Then take a look at http://Raspi.TV/ and https://averagemaker.com/category/rpi who've been publishing stuff for many years. That's in addition to the stuff from Les P and Lorraine.

Don't be scared to ask, there's no such thing as a dumb question - they're just things where you've not yet discovered the right answer.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Andyroo

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:48 pm

MrShadowCat wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm
Cheers Andyroo, I’ll give it a go now,or do you think it’s better getting one of my support staff to phone (I’m only assuming there’s a phone contact,haven’t looked yet)?

lol zwieblum.

I wonder is it ok if I stick around and try to learn off you guys?
The pi and what is capable of always amazes me,i love watching videos of projects before I even got into using them myself,with the right person the capabilities are almost endless,it’s mind blowing in a way isnt it.
It may be better to get the support staff to help as you may find they only have the building contact now the Jam has finished.

As for sticking around - please do. We are all learning things here - that's the fun of the site (even when we get a bit ratty with each other).

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:09 pm

"frank977" edited his posts, and tried to remove all the contents, which the forum software doesn't allow, so he left some dots.

I deleted these posts, and banned him, as a phisher/spammer.

Roken

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Thank heavens I wasn't impulsive. I work in Manchester, and was born there. Thankfully, don't live there anymore. Last night, I was tempted to offer help. Not so tempted now.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

DirkS

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Roken wrote:
Thank heavens I wasn't impulsive. I work in Manchester, and was born there. Thankfully, don't live there anymore. Last night, I was tempted to offer help. Not so tempted now.
Why? The deleted posts were from a responder, not from the OP who is asking for help...

Andyroo

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Roken wrote:
A couple of differences:
1) You are not based in India (going by email)
2) You never respond to ‘wanteds’ with the same email every time...

MrShadowCat

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:52 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Two folks I thought you could contact are
Les Pounder https://twitter.com/biglesp and Lorraine Underwood https://twitter.com/LMcUnderwood
they're perfectly qualified to help and based up north.

If you weren't 200 miles north of me I'd help.
Cheers Dougie!
How doi contact them without joining twitter? I’ve tried joining it before and found it impossible to get around.
I’d love it if they could help.

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Les Pounder has a web-site at: https://bigl.es/
Lorraine Underwood has http://lorraine.mcunderwood.org/

MrShadowCat

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:21 pm

I am very greatful guys,Thankyou!
I apologise for not reading some of the posts correctly,I’ve missed answering a few posts I think...

Hi Roken, if you are still up for it I’d pay you,I’m in a care facility in Whalley Range.
If you go on my website link-my adobe portfolio (sorry,my memory is destroyed I can’t remember if personal links are allowed or not),on the about page,that’s me in the most expensive sensory room in the UK.🤭

I am greatful also that you are all happy with me sticking around, I will have a few reads of the linked pages and hope i will process what I’m looking at.😂

Update as well—I seem to be able to get it to work now,but I need physical help with sorting out pad config and some of the emulators don’t seem work,he mustn’t have installed them,I also need extra choices of emulator and games,I know you can do as one of my staff brought hers in and it had loads on.
I had a rough seizure last night so nothings going in really,at the moment,anyway Thankyou loads for helping me guys,much appreciated.

Roken

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 am

I clearly misunderstood some of the responses.

MrShadowCat, I'd be happy to help, though arranging may be a problem, since there doesn't appear to be a PM facility here, unless someone can point me to it?

EDIT: And there's no question of paying me. We're a sharing and helping community, not a "for profit" bunch.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 am

Roken wrote:
since there doesn't appear to be a PM facility here, unless someone can point me to it?
Edit your profile at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/ucp.php?i=173 and you can leave a contact email address (instead of "Tax Guy") or Faceborg/Yahoo/Twitter ID in there. Take it out later before the spammers arrive. You could even set-up a throw-away GMail address just for this contact.

MrShadowCat

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Roken wrote:
I clearly misunderstood some of the responses.

MrShadowCat, I'd be happy to help, though arranging may be a problem, since there doesn't appear to be a PM facility here, unless someone can point me to it?

EDIT: And there's no question of paying me. We're a sharing and helping community, not a "for profit" bunch.
What about donating to the pi foundation on your behalf?
Thankyou so much!🥂😁

I will follow Dougies example,I’ll put in my rocketmail one.
Dougie,ive got...three gmail and one yahoo,I keep forgetting passwords,changing them when possible and then forgetting to type the password update in my notepad LOL.

Edit—-
There doesn’t seem to be a profile box for email,however,if you go on my website and go to the contact page,please could you Send me a msg through there,I’ll test it to see which email I have it attached to lol.". https://emlynwscott.com/contact

Another edit——-
It must go to the gmail I don’t use anymore,just use [email protected] please can you tell me when you have seen it ,cheers!!🥂

Return to “Wanted”