dewilliams19

Engineering Capstone Course

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi everybody :D I am currently enrolled in a high school capstone engineering course. My partner and I are trying to address the problem of excess food waste in landfills creating large quantities of methane. To solve this, we are creating an at home industrial composting system. An important part of composting is heat management, which is where the raspberry pi comes in! Our mentor recommended we use a raspberry pi 3+ B. Unfortunately we do not have the funds to afford the cost of the raspberry pi ourselves. If anyone would be willing to donate one or help direct me in the direction of how I could get one at a discounted rate, please let me know!

B.Goode

Re: Engineering Capstone Course

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Congratulations on being chosen to undertake a Capstone Project.

Since your mentor has recommended this solution, perhaps you could also ask for advice about sources of funding to support your project work: maybe there is some sort of bursary or hardship fund you could apply for within your place of education?

Guessing you are somewhere in North America, the cost would be about 35 USD, 46 CaD. Perhaps when split between the members of the team that is worth finding for the sake of the boost you might get to your careers? Could you earn it by car washing, baking cookies, etc?

Or try to interest other people who might back your project: commercial waste disposal operators; local authorities; local 'green' campaign groups.

Good luck with your project.

incognitum

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Guessing you are somewhere in North America, the cost would be about 35 USD, 46 CaD.
Or 5 USD for a Pi Zero W...
Although then you may need to remotely login to it from a normal computer, to avoid the cost of USB hub/adapters...

B.Goode

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm

incognitum wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm
B.Goode wrote:
Guessing you are somewhere in North America, the cost would be about 35 USD, 46 CaD.
Or 5 USD for a Pi Zero W...
Although then you may need to remotely login to it from a normal computer, to avoid the cost of USB hub/adapters...

I was responding directly to what the OP asked for advice about:
Our mentor recommended we use a raspberry pi 3+ B.
That seemed quite specific. We don't have access to the mentor to query whether they are aware of the RPiZero option. Or maybe they are, but regard its shortcomings as an impediment best avoided. (And the Adafruit price for an RPiZeroW is 10 USD.)

incognitum

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm
That seemed quite specific. We don't have access to the mentor to query whether they are aware of the RPiZero option.
Would be something the student could ask though.
(And the Adafruit price for an RPiZeroW is 10 USD.)
Depends where you shop.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/486 ... -pi-zero-w

(Do am assuming student is able to solder own GPIO header or wires to it)

Return to “Wanted”