apricotfarm

Arcade button connection wires

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 am

Does anyone know where I can find connection wires with a .187" female disconnect to a Raspberry Pi female GPIO pin header already attached? I'd like to connect a few arcade buttons to the RPi GPIO pins to control a project I'm working on. I've found places that sell wires with one or the other connection, but I haven't been able to find anyone who sells the pair matched up.

This is my first project, and my costs have already exceeded my original plans. At this point I'm really hoping not to spend the money for a nice crimping tool and buy an inventory of wire and terminals. If I can improve the terminology of my question, I would also appreciate input on that :D

Here are a few pictures (from Adafruit's website) to illustrate what I mean. I want to connect a few of these:
817-00.jpg
817-00.jpg (187.38 KiB) Viewed 637 times
directly to the RPi's GPIO pins, using one of these:
3145-01.jpg
3145-01.jpg (239 KiB) Viewed 637 times

pcmanbob

Re: Arcade button connection wires

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:45 pm

I doubt you will find anything ready made, its not the sort of terminations you expect to find sharing the same wire.

simplest option would be to buy some male/female dupont cables
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-pcs-Dupon ... XiyPJUC_zw
and just solder the male end on to the micro switch terminals
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

apricotfarm

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:34 am

Hi @pcmanbob, many thanks for the response. I appreciate the suggestion; I suspect that that is exactly what I'll do for now.

You are most certainly right have that I haven't been able to find any ready-made wires of this sort, although I'm not sure I agree that it's an unexpected combination. It seems like these kinds of microswitches are fairly ubiquitous in the Raspberry Pi/Arduino universe, and it seems like a very natural thing to want to hook one up directly to the Pi's GPIO pins.

For any of you enterprising hobbyist supply houses that might be reading this, this seems like a no-brainer for a new product; if you have the crimping tools at your disposal, wires like this would be trivial to assemble, with almost zero cost, and very little space needed for inventory. You could sell these at 6/dollar, and still make several hundred percent profit! Just sayin.

rpdom

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:58 am

apricotfarm wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:34 am
For any of you enterprising hobbyist supply houses that might be reading this, this seems like a no-brainer for a new product; if you have the crimping tools at your disposal, wires like this would be trivial to assemble, with almost zero cost, and very little space needed for inventory. You could sell these at 6/dollar, and still make several hundred percent profit! Just sayin.
I don't think they are used enough to justify that. Many hobbyists already have the tools to either crimp the connectors (I've use pliers in the past, but I have the correct tools now), or just solder them on. I'd offer to make some, but it wouldn't be worth my time. Postage costs to the US would be silly too.

Return to “Wanted”